Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 15:15   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Windlass motor corrosion... Denso Tape?

Greetings Folks,

A quick question on windlasses, I had a look inside the chain locker this morning to gauge the amount of mud in there and noticed that the windlass gearbox/motor was corroding in a big way, as it is very close to the hawse (?) hole (where the chain comes down through the deck) and is obviously getting saltwater on it during anchor retrieval.

The geometry of the installation means that I can't stick a hose in there and "extend the hole down", so I was thinking of wrapping up the entire gearbox in Denso Tape (basically a grease impregnated tape) - does anybody have any experiences with this or solutions for protecting the motor/gearbox?

I'm guessing that this should be a common problem right?

Any thoughts on my Denso Tape solution? Or other solutions?

Thanks!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:15   #2

Boat: CS 40
Re: Windlass motor corrosion... Denso Tape?

I had originally noticed same problem two years ago on my 8 year old Lofrans windlass so I just wire brushed and sprayed on some rust paint. A couple of months ago (after crossing the Pacific) I had another look. Now it was seriously rusted. I ended up chipping and sanding off as much rust as possible (2-3 mm) and then using several coats of epoxy rust neutralizer (Brunox) and another couple of coats of rust pain, it came out looking ok. Luckily the gaskets weren't compromised and the interior showed no sign of corrosion. I made sure to use silicon grease on all the gaskets on reassembly and cleaned and protected all the electrical connections. I also replaced the gearbox oil and should have replaced all the seals but didn't have the parts. I'll do that next time.

I was also considering using a grease soaked wrap type solution but since the seals held up well, I just focused on getting the rust dealt with. My biggest concern is to ensure that moisture doesn't infiltrate as the unit heats up and cools down. I'll keep an eye on things over the next year or so and report back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1134143.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	38325   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1134147.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	38326  

Click image for larger version

Name:	p1174149.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	38327  
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 23:01   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
Greetings Folks,

A quick question on windlasses, I had a look inside the chain locker this morning to gauge the amount of mud in there and noticed that the windlass gearbox/motor was corroding in a big way, as it is very close to the hawse (?) hole (where the chain comes down through the deck) and is obviously getting saltwater on it during anchor retrieval.

The geometry of the installation means that I can't stick a hose in there and "extend the hole down", so I was thinking of wrapping up the entire gearbox in Denso Tape (basically a grease impregnated tape) - does anybody have any experiences with this or solutions for protecting the motor/gearbox?

I'm guessing that this should be a common problem right?

Any thoughts on my Denso Tape solution? Or other solutions?

Thanks!
G'Day AK,

The Maxwell manual that came with my windlass suggests spraying the whole lot with CRC "Longlife" or other preservative. I've done so, and it has worked pretty well... no serious corrosion visible. I try to remember to respray it every few months... but I admit to longer intervals slipping in now and then.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-03-2012, 23:13   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day AK,

The Maxwell manual that came with my windlass suggests spraying the whole lot with CRC "Longlife" or other preservative. I've done so, and it has worked pretty well... no serious corrosion visible. I try to remember to respray it every few months... but I admit to longer intervals slipping in now and then.

Cheers,

Jim
My manual actually says to lightly grease the whole unite.
Old 05-03-2012, 23:44   #5

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day AK,

Cheers,

Jim
Howdy,

Thanks for that - never seen that product before!

Just out of curiosity - is your gearbox/motor pretty much directly underneath the hole in the deck as well or a little ways away? If just a spray is enough, I'm super-keen! Sure beats wrapping with tape, I have enough work to do!

Denso tape-system is around $120 and the spray is $12.. so beats it pricewise too.

CRC also has another spray - Anti Corrosion Heavy Wax Film - I wonder if it would classify as bombproof if I use Long Life first, then overcoat with the wax? (TDS says it can build to 2mm dry film thickness!)

Anti-Corrosion Heavy Wax Film

AK
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 23:57   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Tectyl
Old 06-03-2012, 00:13   #7

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

I'd recommend a spray / paint on protection rather than Denso tape. The problem with Denso tape is if moisture does penetrate it becomes trapped and you will get seriously accelerated corrosion. Due to problems associated with this we now have a fleet-wide ban on Denso tape in locations exposed to salt water. I have a similar Lofrans windlass and this spring coating the casing is on the (ever increasing) "to do" list.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have a Muir 850 vertical windlass. The parts above deck are bronze. The gearbox and its mating flange below deck are aluminum. Salt water from the anchor chain splashes through the hawse holes keeping everything under the deck wet. I figure it makes a pretty good battery. I had the mounting flange of the gearbox corrode to pieces and had to replace the motor, gearbox, and mounting flange. I have taken 1/8" sheet rubber and attached to the underside of the deck and around the gearbox mounting flange to form a drip shield. I also keep everything under the deck dripping in Boshield and routinely pump grease into the shaft bearing.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, motor, windlass