Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 14:42   #16

Boat: Pacific Int. Marine 41
Re: Windlass Power Options

I wanted to follow up and post the solution I ended up going with.

I picked up a 12v modern continuous duty winch motor with a shaft that could have the belt pulley mounted. This is powered by a battery up in the bow that is charged via an echo charger. This keeps things pretty simple and saves me over 40' of heavy gauge wire. We will see how it holds up over time but with how its setup it should be good for quite a while.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
bhecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:23   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhecla View Post
I wanted to follow up and post the solution I ended up going with.

I picked up a 12v modern continuous duty winch motor with a shaft that could have the belt pulley mounted. This is powered by a battery up in the bow that is charged via an echo charger. This keeps things pretty simple and saves me over 40' of heavy gauge wire. We will see how it holds up over time but with how its setup it should be good for quite a while.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
How about a few details on the motor?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
How about a few details on the motor?
Here is an amazon link, I was able to find one local though. Played with it a bit before purchase, pretty nice setup but a bit heavy at 22lbs. I could have gone with one a bit lighter but I wanted the extra power. Working on new mounting brackets now, wanted to redesign how hatch opened and latched down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Found some spec sheets for some generic winch motors here, was nice to browse through.

https://www.arrowheadep.com/images/D...0Low%20Res.pdf
Old 23-07-2015, 11:50   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

At 4.8kW rated power that is a pretty potent piece of gear. The motor on my anchor winch is only 1.2kW and many yacht winches have only a 1.0kW motor. You should get a pretty extended service life out of it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 12:59   #20

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

That is NOT a continuous duty motor. Or at least not a 100% power continuous duty. None of the small, high output motors are.

I have a similar motor that I am using for my windlass. It should work very well for you, just be aware that it does have a duty cycle limitation. The lighter the load placed on it the slower the heat build up. Most of the time I expect you will be loading it at less than 20%, at that loading the duty cycle % will be quite high.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 13:34   #21

Uhhh.... who uses their windlass continuous? You must carry a lot of rode! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 14:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
At 4.8kW rated power that is a pretty potent piece of gear. The motor on my anchor winch is only 1.2kW and many yacht winches have only a 1.0kW motor. You should get a pretty extended service life out of it.
Hopefully I will get a good service life out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
That is NOT a continuous duty motor. Or at least not a 100% power continuous duty. None of the small, high output motors are.

I have a similar motor that I am using for my windlass. It should work very well for you, just be aware that it does have a duty cycle limitation. The lighter the load placed on it the slower the heat build up. Most of the time I expect you will be loading it at less than 20%, at that loading the duty cycle % will be quite high.
Ya, don't even remember typing "continuous duty" there thanks for pointing it out though. I know it is not meant to run 100% of the time. For what its doing and the amount of time its going to be running it should work well.

Tags
wind, windlass