Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2024, 15:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Windlass: Quick Prince clutch/jammed windlass question

Hello,

My crew raised the anchor about 4" too far, which resulted in the chain being absolutely bar-taught and the windlass unable to go up or down. Not even by the smallest amount.

The breaker hadn't popped, and current was still being applied as measured by clamp-meter.

I guess I assumed the clutch might slip under these circumstances and so, in an attempt to loosen this chain, I loosened the clutch camp bolt, then removed it completely and removed the drum (it's a vertical axis) to expose the clutch plate. Weirdly enough, the whole thing was still jammed... I would have expected the clutch to have released the tension on the chain, given the magnitude of the tension...

At this point, I had to run for a plane, and left the marina guys to fix it. They cut the chain, to release the tension, and report that everything is now fine including a properly working clutch...

I am quite confused by this. The exploded drawings show a simple clutch made with two metal discs pressed against each other by the adjustment screw accessed on top of the drum. I believe there is no ratchet in operation for this winch.

Can anyone explain what may have happened to cause this strangely jammed up clutch/windlass?
thx
doug
Old 05-06-2024, 19:12   #2

Re: Windlass: Quick Prince clutch/jammed windlass question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMc View Post

Can anyone explain what may have happened to cause this strangely jammed up clutch/windlass?
thx
doug

Had a similar problem with a vertical windlass, a Quick. In our situation, the tension was released by removing a deck cleat which the chain was around - yours truly had forgotten to undo the chain prior to taking up the anchor.

Couldn't figure out why the windlass wouldn't ease with the clutch undone.

There's gotta be someone here who knows
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 00:23   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Windlass: Quick Prince clutch/jammed windlass question

Same happened on our Quick Anatares windlass, A chain link had jammed under the chain splitter and bent it. Unfastening the two spltter bolts made it loose enough to free the chain. Fortunately the hex bolt heads did not shear off in the process.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, med, wind, windlass