Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 08:00   #1

Wireless controller for my windlass

Hi everyone, we have a Jeanneau DS50, Lewmar windlass and Quick wired controller. I would like to convert to a wireless controller so that we can operate the windlass from anywhere on the boat. I was surprised to see that Quick don't offer a plug-in converter and they have quoted me about €400 for a wireless unit. I seem to be stuck between this and buying a wireless winch controller on eBay for about €15. Nothing in between. I would be interested in other forum members experiences. I obviously want the most cost-effective solution but I'm a little bit concerned that the cheap option would potentially fail a critical time. Thank you. John
JohnHeaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:05   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Wireless controller for my windlass

I personally use the cheap wireless winch remote. As long as you have another way to control the windlass (switch at the helm plus hand signals in my case), you'll be fine. You don't need to remove the existing controller to add the new one.

I also have the windlass control circuit on a switch so it's turned off when not in use to prevent any accidental switch (or remote) bumps.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:25   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I personally use the cheap wireless winch remote. As long as you have another way to control the windlass (switch at the helm plus hand signals in my case), you'll be fine. You don't need to remove the existing controller to add the new one.

I also have the windlass control circuit on a switch so it's turned off when not in use to prevent any accidental switch (or remote) bumps.
+1, I think the winch controller we got for $15 or so on Amazon. Came with two remotes. Been in use for two years. Dropping the anchor we usually use the helm controls. Raising usually the wireless remote. Way easier than our previous wired remote. We've had zero false activations, but we also have a switch on the windlass control power that gets turned off when not in use.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:32   #4

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I installed on of the cheap $7-$15 wireless winch contollers from ebay. 3 years now. they come in 12v and 24v. comes with 2 controllers and works good. can use remote from the opposite end of the boat with no issues. probably should spray conformal coating or something on the circuit boards. for $7 i can have a couple spares on board.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:49   #5

Boat: Beneteau 343

My affordable Amazon sourced wireless solution has worked well so far. It coexists well with the factory installed wired remote.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I bought one of these. It's in parallel with the wired controls. It works well, although it is not as quick to startup/shutdown as the wired controls.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy sailing!
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:11   #7

Boat: Malo 39

I looked into the same idea. I tried the cheap winch remote. Wrong wiring configuration. Given the other main location to operate is from the cockpit I made up a long extension cable. When needed I simple plug one bulgin connector into the windlass end and the hand lest plugs into the other end. The cable runs along the deck. This removes the risk of wireless failing just at the wrong moment. The cable was tricky to source but otherwise a simple and reliable solution.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
I bought one of these. It's in parallel with the wired controls. It works well, although it is not as quick to startup/shutdown as the wired controls.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy sailing!

That's the same unit I've been using with good results. And yes, there's about a 0.5 - 1 second delay between pressing or releasing the button and the controller and solenoid responding.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:48   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

FWIW we have the X-Bull wireless winch remote, don't note any delay, and can pulse very short pulls (a few links on the windlass) such as when breaking out the anchor.

No relation, we've just been satisfied with how it works - maybe except the slightly oddball battery.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:52   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Interesting thread. What I would need if sailing solo would be a remote engine control, so I could operate the throttle & gearbox from the bow while using the windlass foot button & watching the chain. And I would also need a remote for my autopilot - which I guess is easy these days...
I think I will stick to having a crew, as long as I can get one for pottering around.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Interesting thread. What I would need if sailing solo would be a remote engine control, so I could operate the throttle & gearbox from the bow while using the windlass foot button & watching the chain. And I would also need a remote for my autopilot - which I guess is easy these days...
I think I will stick to having a crew, as long as I can get one for pottering around.

Singlehanding for anchoring can be a pain unless it's dead calm or you can see the bow well enough to operate the windlass from the helm. In my case, I typically stand on the bow with the remote and give hand signals back to the helm for engine control. The remote just reduces the number of hand signals and puts the windlass in direct control of the person who can see what's going on with it.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:59   #12

We use the same 15euro remote control, works perfect. The only remark is to switch off your windlass when not in use, to prevent your neighbour with a similar remote to pull or let go your anchor😀
hanjohuizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:01   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The wireless industrial crane remotes are an excellent solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C75C0E35-61D0-486C-895C-9F58224D8C82.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	237537  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 12:46   #14

Boat: kelt 8.5

Seems many of us bought a wireless remote on Ebay or on Amazon. $15-20.00 works fine, up and down. You may want to spend more to know the amount of chain out. Real easy to wire, two for power and 3 for the windless
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 18:40   #15

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

The $15 wireless controller I use has provision to have a button timed. Since the windlass is pretty constant in the down mode, it can be set so each press of the button lets the chain down a certain amount. There are four buttons so an extra one can be made to do this.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass