Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 08:15   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Yup, Another Anchoring Thread

In another current thread, I explained my frustration with my 88# Delta. But enough of that, I want to move on to the Manson.

The big D marine store in Connecticut, the one with the catalog mailings, has the Manson 80# Supreme on sale for $690. But I am hesitant to rush out to purchase another anchor only to find myself facing similar problems I find with the Delta. Note, the big West store has the same anchor for $850 but will match prices.

I am not trying to get another "my anchor is better than yours" thread going. I am trying to learn about experience others have with the Manson. I have not followed all the anchor threads where this most likely was discussed. But so was the Rocna which is now getting less than pleasant reviews.

My goal is to get my $%&# boat to anchor and stay where it was anchored without mid night surprises. I have no knuckles left to bite, Wifey is telling me "sell the boat!" But there must be a way. If the Manson is not the right choice, what is next in line with an affordable cost......if $7-8 hundred bucks is considered affordable for something in the 80# range? And yes, I want a big anchor because I believe weight has advantages.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 08:24   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: YUP, another anchoring thread!

I think all you need do is take a little time and search the threads and you will find what you need, its been gone over atleast a dozen times here- In a nutshell you cannot go wrong with the Manson
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 08:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I think all you need do is take a little time and search the threads and you will find what you need, its been gone over atleast a dozen times here- In a nutshell you cannot go wrong with the Manson
Yes, but the Rocna had positive raves also. That was why I made the post because all is quiet on the Manson front.
Old 18-08-2011, 08:30   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I've had a 45# Manson Supreme on my B393 for six years now. During those six years I've anchored (US East Coast, Bahamas) for six months every year. I've had quite a bit of experience with CQR's and Bruces and the odd large Danforth. The Manson beats them all hands down. I would not hesitate about recommending the Manson Supreme. I've had no experience with Deltas but have observed the dragging and long set talked about in the other thread. The Manson Supreme sets very quickly. Just a beautiful anchor!
Old 18-08-2011, 08:34   #5

Thanks Rick for sharing your experience.

Foggy
Old 20-08-2011, 15:07   #6

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava
Re: Yup, Another Anchoring Thread

My Hunter 41 came with a Delta, and my previous Gulfstar 36 had a CQR. I had issues with both these anchors. I purchased a 45# Manson with 50' of chain and 250' of line, and I've never had a problem with setting the anchor or it dragging. Sleep much better.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 17:36   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Are you better at setting a hook now. Is your rhode different. Did you move.were you using shorter scope.? I have not had difficulty setting most anchors. Cqr danforth spade Bruce leads me to think that our technique improves after a failure. But cqr sucks in soft mud danforth is better never dragged my Bruce. Manson I would probably never ever super ever drag. I will change up when it doesn't work orvi can afford a next gen hook. I think though most failures are technique and skill failures
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 17:47   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Foggy,

I understand that you are looking for feedback on the Manson but it seems your underlying reason to choose this anchor is because your current anchor is not working out so well. It well maybe that your current rode is unsuitable to your situation.

It would be very helpful to know just what your current rode is. How much chain, what size; how much rope, what sort and size etc.

The rode is equally important or perhaps more important than the actual pick as is setting technique however I assume that you are up to speed with technique!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 19:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Foggy,

I understand that you are looking for feedback on the Manson but it seems your underlying reason to choose this anchor is because your current anchor is not working out so well. It well maybe that your current rode is unsuitable to your situation.

It would be very helpful to know just what your current rode is. How much chain, what size; how much rope, what sort and size etc.

The rode is equally important or perhaps more important than the actual pick as is setting technique however I assume that you are up to speed with technique!

Sure, good points!!! But before I get to them, I want to dwell for a moment on my previous anchoring history. I sailed my Hunter 30 for about 25 years or so where I anchored for at least 20 years. My primary anchor started off with a 33# Bruce that had about 20' of 3/8 chain and 150' of 5/8" 3 strand nylon. For most of those years, I never, ever had a problem Then about 15-20 years into the boat, I upgraded from my 33 to a 44# Bruce and I upgraded from 20 to 30' of 3/8" chain. I kept my 150' of 3 strand.

The last year I sailed, the Bruce anchor failed often here in Massachusetts because of ell grass. The Bruce would set but under load, I picked up a 75+# divot of ocean bottom consisting mostly of ell grass. It was then that I decided to move on to a different anchor.

My 40' Silverton has a high wind load plus a displacement of about 25K#s. I wanted to be sure I over killed my ground tackle. With that in mind, I purchased and installed a Maxwell HWC2200 windlass powered by 24vdc. I use 5/16" HT chain for rode of which I carry about 180"; no nylon. The anchor I first selected was a 55# Delta which held fine in sand but tended to slip with other bottoms found local to my area. That was when I upgraded to an 88# Delta. My intention was to be able to sleep without anchor worries.

The scope I tried to use was anything over 5 and I did include things such as tide along with my bow height. But this week that anchor failed me. I know it slipped and then reset by the traces on my GPS. Later in 20K+ wind, it plowed or at least I believe it plowed. My GPS trace just grew with time. At 3:30 AM I had to wake Wifey to help me move the boat.....and we did to a mooring. I just cannot put up with an anchor I cannot trust.

I did not want to purchase the Rocna after reading the recent negative stuff about cost cutting. That was the reason for asking questions about the Manson Supreme which I now have on order from Westmarine. The anchor I ordered weighs in at 80#s. I was so fed up with the Delta, I want to get this over with.

I know this reply is long but I wanted to give a little history regarding my past anchoring. I will continue to use my all chain rode with hope that the Maxwell will live up to my expectations. And I do want to thank you for taking the time to post questions as you did regarding rode. My original post should have been clearer.

Foggy
Old 20-08-2011, 19:37   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

foggysail -

I'm curious. Where are you located and what type of bottom do you normally anchor in?

Thanks

Whoops! Timing is everything. Never mind.
Old 20-08-2011, 23:40   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Sure, good points!!! But before I get to them, I want to dwell for a moment on my previous anchoring history. I sailed my Hunter 30 for about 25 years or so where I anchored for at least 20 years. My primary anchor started off with a 33# Bruce that had about 20' of 3/8 chain and 150' of 5/8" 3 strand nylon. For most of those years, I never, ever had a problem Then about 15-20 years into the boat, I upgraded from my 33 to a 44# Bruce and I upgraded from 20 to 30' of 3/8" chain. I kept my 150' of 3 strand.

The last year I sailed, the Bruce anchor failed often here in Massachusetts because of ell grass. The Bruce would set but under load, I picked up a 75+# divot of ocean bottom consisting mostly of ell grass. It was then that I decided to move on to a different anchor.

My 40' Silverton has a high wind load plus a displacement of about 25K#s. I wanted to be sure I over killed my ground tackle. With that in mind, I purchased and installed a Maxwell HWC2200 windlass powered by 24vdc. I use 5/16" HT chain for rode of which I carry about 180"; no nylon. The anchor I first selected was a 55# Delta which held fine in sand but tended to slip with other bottoms found local to my area. That was when I upgraded to an 88# Delta. My intention was to be able to sleep without anchor worries.

The scope I tried to use was anything over 5 and I did include things such as tide along with my bow height. But this week that anchor failed me. I know it slipped and then reset by the traces on my GPS. Later in 20K+ wind, it plowed or at least I believe it plowed. My GPS trace just grew with time. At 3:30 AM I had to wake Wifey to help me move the boat.....and we did to a mooring. I just cannot put up with an anchor I cannot trust.

I did not want to purchase the Rocna after reading the recent negative stuff about cost cutting. That was the reason for asking questions about the Manson Supreme which I now have on order from Westmarine. The anchor I ordered weighs in at 80#s. I was so fed up with the Delta, I want to get this over with.

I know this reply is long but I wanted to give a little history regarding my past anchoring. I will continue to use my all chain rode with hope that the Maxwell will live up to my expectations. And I do want to thank you for taking the time to post questions as you did regarding rode. My original post should have been clearer.

Foggy
Yes, thanks, thats puts everything into perspective. I can't comment on the "bottoms" in your area but one would "expect" the Manson Supreme to set better (or at least quicker) the Delta on most bottoms.

I share your concern with the Rocna and I agree that this is not really the point of your thread.

I must say that I am a little surprised that you are only using 5/16" chain (even if its HT); I would have thought that 3/8" would be the smallest size considered for your vessel and possibly 1/2" as average; however I don't have any real experience of 40', 12 ton yachts. For instance, I am using 150' of 5/16" of chain plus 150 ft 9/16" nylon (8 plait) on a 31' 4 ton low windage Dogger.

Anyway, if you go ahead with the big Manson Supreme, be sure to post and let us all know how it performs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 07:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I must say that I am a little surprised that you are only using 5/16" chain (even if its HT); I would have thought that 3/8" would be the smallest size considered for your vessel and possibly 1/2" as average; however I don't have any real experience of 40', 12 ton yachts. For instance, I am using 150' of 5/16" of chain plus 150 ft 9/16" nylon (8 plait) on a 31' 4 ton low windage Dogger.

Anyway, if you go ahead with the big Manson Supreme, be sure to post and let us all know how it performs.
The reason I went with 5/16" is because Maxwell, at least to my knowledge did not offer a 1/4" gypsy. Of course your mention of using 3/8" has merit but my concern was the puny ....no, make that very puny anchor chain locker on my boat would prohibit using larger chain. As it is now, Wifey has to open the chain locker and push the incoming chain to prevent it from teepee'ing and I only have about 180' of chain.

The reason I mentioned 1/4" chain is the working load that I think is high enough to do structural damage to my bow.......Another consideration is the weight on my bow. I have a 100# windlass, about 190# of chain, a 250# dinghy (with motor, fuel and other stuff) plus a davit crane that must be close to 200#s. The 3/8" HT chain weighs almost 40% more than 5/16". The working load on the 5/16" is 3400# vs 5400# for the 3/8". GEEZ, I hope I am never on my boat in a condition where I even near the working load of 1/4". But I believe I am OK with the 5/16.

Just a final comment.... the forum has done a fine job sharing a lot of real life examples of anchoring issues.

Foggy
Old 21-08-2011, 08:11   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The MS is a better anchor than the Delta (The Delta is still good).

I think your concern about dragging is valid. To re-anchor in the early hours of the morning is no fun. Given the small cost (relative to the rest of the boat) I think going for the best anchor you can get is a sound policy.

It is surprising however that you dragged in 20K+. Most yachtsmen overestimate the wind strength at anchor, but with even a slight set (and the Delta sets well) its not till the average wind speed reaches 25k (when there will be gusts in the mid 30s at most anchorages) is much force put on the anchor.
Are you sure you were not just straightening out the chain?
Its worth when anchoring to mark the GPS when the aerial would be over the anchor. Its easy to tell then using the distance from the waypoint if you are dragging or just moving the chain about
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 08:24   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Here is photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchoring small.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	30696  
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:08   #15

Noelex--

I wish it had been straightening the chain. No, this was definitely slipping/plowing. And I really set that anchor by pulling on it with both engines running upwards to 2000RPMs. I let the boat set and hit it again. The wind direction did not change by many degrees over the time I set the anchor two days before and the early morning when I had to move the boat.

I never in the past believed a Delta would plow; I believe it now.

Foggy

Tags
anchor, anchoring