Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2010, 23:23   #16

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Colregs has all the answers.

FWIW, you may only use a masthead tricolor under sail. Bow and stern lights may be used under sail or motor.

This is why I asked the question
Seems like COLREGS is just like the bible, you can interpret it any which way suits your particular want, need, point of view and every one is correct.

As I pointed out in my last post, for every rule, there is an exception. Power driven boats require sidelights, UNLESS its less than 20 mts, which mine is, in which case, side lights can be combined in one fixture........

23. Lights displayed by power-driven vessels underway
  • A power-driven vessel underway must display:
    • a masthead light forward;
    • If over 50 metres (164 ft) length, then also a second masthead light aft and higher than the forward one;
    • sidelights;
    • a sternlight.
It then goes on to say -

"Sidelights" means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. If the vessel is less than 20 metres (66 ft) long, the sidelights may be combined in one fixture carried on the centreline of the vessel.

No wonder im confused.
Old 22-09-2010, 05:28   #17
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That should be 225 forward. That coupled with a 135 stern light and sidelights is a vessel underway. The white lights only , assuming that they are the same height, would constitute an anchor light. Just make sure that the lights cover the minimum distances for your vessel.
Thanks for that correction! I was in error assuming front and rear of 180.

Luckily, if she bought a manufactured light, it would have been correct. But it she built a custom one by my directions it would have been wrong.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote