Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 10:08   #1

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
A Canadian buying a New Zealand AIS from the U.S.

I just got off the phone with Defender.com, who seem a decent outfit. I'm considering buying the Vesper XB-8000 Class B AIS transceiver from them. On the page, I noticed that they won't sell them without inputting an MMSI number and that some sort of FCC compliant must be filled out, along with a fax of one's MMSI number. Fair enough, and they said they could input my Canadian-issued MMSI at their end, as they are required for American reasons to do.

But, needless to say, I can see a number of ways for this to screw up.

Has anyone in Canada actually bought an AIS from Defender and had it arrive with the correctly input Canadian MMSI number? This would reassure me, as the operator on their 1-800 customer service line had not had the question posed to her before and had to "call the president" (of Defender, I assume, not Mr. Trump) to answer my question in the affirmative. So anyone out there try this yet? Thanks.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: A Canadian buying a New Zealand AIS from the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I just got off the phone with Defender.com, who seem a decent outfit. I'm considering buying the Vesper XB-8000 Class B AIS transceiver from them. On the page, I noticed that they won't sell them without inputting an MMSI number and that some sort of FCC compliant must be filled out, along with a fax of one's MMSI number. Fair enough, and they said they could input my Canadian-issued MMSI at their end, as they are required for American reasons to do.

Has anyone in Canada actually bought an AIS from Defender and had it arrive with the correctly input Canadian MMSI number? This would reassure me, as the operator on their 1-800 customer service line had not had the question posed to her before and had to "call the president" (of Defender, I assume, not Mr. Trump) to answer my question in the affirmative. So anyone out there try this yet? Thanks.

I cannot help you with your specific query but can confirm you are right to be cautious.

An Australian friend of mine tried to buy an AIS in the USA and the company he was talking to refused to enter a non USA MMSI number into the unit as apparently “it was against the law” and told him to source one in Australia
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:28   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

If Defender says they will program the Canadian MMSI number then send it to them. If for any reason they can't, Defender will stand behind the products they sell. It's a good outfit.
Old 15-05-2017, 13:23   #4

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I bought a Vesper from Milltech in Seattle , and he programmed my Malaysian mmsi with out issue .

Plus he's cheaper than defender
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 14:30   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Further, the guys at Vesper are great, and will help out if there are difficulties. It is not a difficult procedure to change the MMSI with their aid... I just did it here in Australia with an American MMSI.

Jim
Old 15-05-2017, 15:09   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Defender is a great outfit - and the Vesper XB-8000 a great product! They (Vesper) have a means to "get you into the system" if it gets screwed up -- but I doubt it will. Have a read of the Installation instructions - should be there as I recall - may involve contacting Vesper - but they are very responsive.

I've been in contact with them regarding using the XB-8000 as a NMEA "converter" of sorts. It seems you can attach a NMEA 0183 device and it will broadcast the message over the N2K net if you are attached via the N2K port. Pretty cool. Haven't tried it just yet - but as an added feature you get with their product.

cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:05   #7

Boat: Farrier F-41

Why go through all the hassle of dealing with a U.S. Supplier?
I got mine from the Canadian distributor in Calgary. Haig is great to work with.
I also got the legal MMSI number within a couple of days from Gov't. of Canada website/Spectrum Management & Communications. You need CPC-2-3-07 Annex B for MMSI.
Graham
Vancouver
Gmcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcgyvr View Post
Why go through all the hassle of dealing with a U.S. Supplier?
I got mine from the Canadian distributor in Calgary. Haig is great to work with.
I also got the legal MMSI number within a couple of days from Gov't. of Canada website/Spectrum Management & Communications. You need CPC-2-3-07 Annex B for MMSI.
Graham
Vancouver
I have had the MMSI for a while for my SH GX-2200 base VHF and a handful of handies.

I'm in the "good problem to have" situation of having more U.S. than Canadian currency at the moment to buy nice boat things.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 16-05-2017, 08:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post
Defender is a great outfit - and the Vesper XB-8000 a great product! They (Vesper) have a means to "get you into the system" if it gets screwed up -- but I doubt it will. Have a read of the Installation instructions - should be there as I recall - may involve contacting Vesper - but they are very responsive.

I've been in contact with them regarding using the XB-8000 as a NMEA "converter" of sorts. It seems you can attach a NMEA 0183 device and it will broadcast the message over the N2K net if you are attached via the N2K port. Pretty cool. Haven't tried it just yet - but as an added feature you get with their product.

cheers - Jim
That's the sort of tip I appreciate. Thank you.
Old 16-05-2017, 08:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
I bought a Vesper from Milltech in Seattle , and he programmed my Malaysian mmsi with out issue .

Thanks to all for your collective suggestions and the opinion that Defender will support this if it goes wrong.

I will check out Miltech. Thanks.
Old 16-05-2017, 08:59   #11

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi
bought my Vesper AIS during my vacation in Florida from an US retailer. I confirmed him that I will leave US Territory w/o using AIS nor mounting it into my boat.

After I left the US waters I entered the MMSI of my boat into the AIS. You can do that just once. When I sold my boat a few years later I sent Vesper Marinean e-mail about and told them that the boat will fly an other National flag. They have been verry helpful and let the new owner change MMSI to his own one.
(Provided outside US and not US or CG flagged).

May be that helps you, try to buy w/o entered MMSI.

Good Luck

James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:55   #12

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post

I recommend Milltech, they have gone above and beyond on service for me multiple times.....

You won't regret calling them for a quote.

John
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:34   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

I have a Canadian flagged vessel with a Canadian MMSI # and keep the boat in the US. I purchased an AIS transponder from defender and they configured it with my MMSI# with no problem.
good luck
Jim
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:32   #14

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II

Hi

Why not buy directly from Vesper? Then you can enter the MMSI yourself.

As for the product, it is great! It is the N2K hub on my boat, connects the 183 VHS to the network, and allows OpenCPN to talk to the instruments, allows me to do anchor watch on my phone. Can't stop loving it :-)

Regards
Michael
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 15:19   #15

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Hi, I am a Fellow Canadian living in Australia, I bought directly from the manufacturer in NZ. I found the Vesper, be a great product, best buy directly from NZ manufacture and put in your own MMSI Number. Or ask if they have a distributor in Canada.

The American imposing bureaucratic system has no right to cross borders. Full stop!

All the best,

PS Only if you have to, let the NZ manufacturer know the reason your ordering from directly and not the US they should understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, buying, New Zealand