Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 08:30   #1

A Little Help from My German Friends, Please . . .

I need help from the German sailors that might be able to answer these questions.
I am looking at a sailboat with German Flag that is for sale in Spain. I was thinking of buying it and keeping the German registration, my wife is German. My wife however never lived in Germany and does not speak German so well. ( Her father was German, married to a beautiful Brazilian, you know).
Anyway one thing that made me worried is that in order to get have a SSB onboard and get Sailmail I need a Radio Station License an a Call Sign that are usually issued by the country where the boat is registered.

How do I go about obtaining those in Germany?

Thanks for the help
Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:38   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
No chance. I guess you have to have a german passport, make the needed lessons to get the license in Germany and so on.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:09   #3

I think it’s possible, but not necessarily practical. To get a flag certificate you will have to apply at the Federal Agency BSH (www.bsh.de). There you have to prove citizenship (no problem for your wife). If you don’t have a permanent address in Germany there are additional requirements but it’s possible to get a German flag certificate.
To install a radio station (and get a MMSI-number etc.) you will need a ship station licence (informations at www.bundesnetzagentur.de/enid/seefunk ). You don’t need a radio licence to get the ship station licence.
BUT: if you operate a ship under the German flag you will operate under German law which requires you to obtain the radio licence necessary for your equipment. Of course this is no real problem as long as you don’t sail in German waters and don’t get involved with a law enforcement agency that thinks you should follow all the rules…
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
No. The SHIP's license of course must be from the state whose flag the boat flies. But the operator's license will be from either the state of citizenship or state of residence of the operator. I chose the U.S., alhough I haven't lived there in 20 years, I still have a U.S. passport. The FCC will give you an internationally recognized Limited Operator's License valid for both marine SSB and VHF without any exam of any kind. Neat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:00   #5

That's right, Dockhead - as long as you don't use the German passport at the same time. Germany does not recognize all foreign radio licences if used by German citizens. There has been a strong discussion when Germany implemented a new exam for radio licences and some Germans got British licenses.
Radio operator's licence without exam? That's really neat. Can I have a copy of your passport please?
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat1 View Post
That's right, Dockhead - as long as you don't use the German passport at the same time. Germany does not recognize all foreign radio licences if used by German citizens. There has been a strong discussion when Germany implemented a new exam for radio licences and some Germans got British licenses.
Radio operator's licence without exam? That's really neat. Can I have a copy of your passport please?
Well, I lived in Germany for a few years, taught at a German university, and speak German like a native. But the only passport I have is Amurrican. Even though I haven't lived in the Home of the Free and the Land of the Brave in about 20 years. My chosen nation of residence is a dodgy former Communist country with a flat tax of 13% So I am absolutely and perfectly entitled to my FCC Limited Operator's License, on my British flagged boat or on any other boat I choose to sail on.

Even if I wanted a German or UK radio operator's license -- I have no right to one. I am neither citizen nor resident of either country.

I understand of course that Ordnung muss sein -- but -- without me. Tee hee.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote