Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 21:09   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: A Newby . . .

I was out at Long Beach this last weekend (not sailing related) and it sure didn't look good for going south. NOAA and Passageweather is looking like "lighter" winds for the next few days, but still from the south, and then butt-kicking time around Sunday/Monday. If you're waiting for westerly/northerly winds, you might be hanging out in Neah Bay for awhile. Hope you like the Twilight books/movies!

Do you have some way to get and read grib files while off shore? An SSB or sat phone? Got an EPIRB or a Spot? We don't want to be worrying about you...

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 21-09-2011, 10:56   #17

Boat: Rifiki 37

wish someone would tell me about Grib and all this other craparama..... I will have two marine radios, three laptops four Gps systems and a Kenwood ts450s.... not licensed for ham, but God gave me two ears, and two eyes,..one mouth....so I try to see, and listen, four to one over speaking....LOL...don't know how to grib or whatever that is.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:00   #18

Re: A Newby .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcoboss View Post
please understand, I do not want to get in situations where my bung-hole is gnawing on my "Whitey-tighties"...
You will be, count on it..

Old 21-09-2011, 11:00   #19

Sailing a Rafiki 37 to San Diego

Ionly want to go south from Neah Bay to San Diego.. will probably get out fifty to one hundred miles and hang the laundry..... If I drop under seven mph...fire the "Iron Sail".... 125 gal. diesel and a new engine... hard to average ten mph on the ocean, I think..... don't really know the hull speed on the Rifiki 37

does anyone know the difference in the wind factor between fifty to one hundred miles out, or if I get fifty, and I in the same situation only an extra hour for the rescue?????LOL

I never learned how to act in public, so I am going out to sea...Wheeeee!!!!..

You sound like someone that thinks I should put er on a trailer, and sail down I-5....

I think I hear myself starting to "Cluck".....lol

Wow.some of you are making me feel inadequet, but that is probably better than dead....lol.... hard to take for a fella that is a "Legend in his own mind".lol

most people would probably crap their pantyhose, if they knew I have only sailed out to Santa Catalina, in the ocean on my 26 catalina Capri.... on a 37 rifiki now though.... one of them "Drop the laundry and batten the hatches" boats....LOL....
Old 21-09-2011, 11:31   #20
CF Adviser

Darcoboss, please take this in the way it is intended -- as a helpful, yet deadly (and I do mean, deadly) serious warning. I have very serious concerns that you are simply not ready to take this passage on, especially solo. I really don't want to read about you in a future thread like this one: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...down-6200.html

Bear with me a bit while I tell you another story from a couple of friends. They left their home base in the Gulf Islands heading south a few years ago, also in late September. He had 30+ years of off-shore sailing experience; she was a former Netherlands national sailing champion. Their boat was a 55' Herrschoff ketch in great shape. The window departing Neah Bay was good, yet when they got off Long Beach a storm blew up. They spent the next 8 days clawing off the Oregon coast. They were about 80 miles off when it began, and ended up only about 10 when the storm finally blew out. They were very experienced, with a fine boat, well equipped. They had both been through many storms at sea, yet they said that this was the most frightened they had ever been.

The W. Coast can be an easy and pleasant downwind run. It can also be a death trap. When one of those blows up, there is simply no place to go. You can't get into any of the few ports, because they all have river bars and in storm conditions, they become simply un-passable. Short, very steep waves, wind against tide.

The fact that you don't know how to get and interpret weather gribs tells me that you aren't ready for this. The fact that you refer to this trip as "I only..." also makes me very concerned that you aren't approaching this passage with the seriousness and respect that it demands.

So, I'm urging you not to do this. I understand that perhaps you have this trip and what might come later as one of those things you really want to check off on your bucket list, but this is foolishness, and Neptune will bear you no mercy.

ID

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 21-09-2011, 11:57   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
does anyone know the difference in the wind factor between fifty to one hundred miles out, or if I get fifty, and I in the same situation only an extra hour for the rescue?????LOL
I'm concerned that someone who needs to ask for such information on an online forum might not be ready to make such a trip.

A navigation class will teach you how to read surface wind and wave charts so that you can tell at any point what the wind will be like anywhere on the ocean. Judging from the questions you are asking in this thread, it would seem prudent to take such a course prior to departing.

While CF is a great forum, you'll find an awful lot of people who have never made the trip you're contemplating who will jump online and urge you to go for it. Consider this cheap advice.

With any luck, you'll also find a few experienced cruisers who will do you the favor of telling you that you're really not adequately prepared to make this voyage.
Old 21-09-2011, 12:23   #22

Re: A Newby .......

Quote:
please understand, I do not want to get in situations where my bung-hole is gnawing on my "Whitey-tighties"...

Be sure you let the 'weather gods' know this!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 21-09-2011, 12:28   #23

Quote:
most people would probably crap their pantyhose, if they knew I have only sailed out to Santa Catalina, in the ocean on my 26 catalina Capri.... on a 37 rifiki now though.... one of them "Drop the laundry and batten the hatches" boats....LOL....
GET AN EXPERIENCED CAPTAIN AND BE A SPONGE

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 21-09-2011, 12:44   #24

Know this!!!!!!!!!!........... this input is appreciated........ I am not as "Look, as I dumb"you are making a hundred miles out sound better.....LOL.Tim....

Just to let the worry-warts know....... I am prepared to put the boat on a trailer, and sail down I-5 to Dana point, and go under the Golden Gate and any time later.... I respect all the advice and keep it coming.... the decisions are not "Cut in stone"......Minnie Mouse would be Highly disappointed if I did not dance with her between the 17th and twentieth of Dec. for Christmas....Mickey called the other day and said she is just not the same with the kids all year, If I miss......

No need to instructon Grib files....... I have the info to read tonight off the internet.

If I don't make this sail, I may beat out Obama for the "No Balls" peace prize!!!!.lol
Old 21-09-2011, 13:05   #25
CF Adviser

Every good sailor I know is a worry-wart. An obsessive worry-wart, at that.

There are times when it drives my "Minnie" nuts, but it also keeps us dancing, too.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

ID

Old 21-09-2011, 13:06   #26

Sailing a Rafiki 37 to san Francisco

I actually never dreamed I would enjoy this forum...... love the input, and response....Who knows....... I may live to send you all a "Thank you" note...

I have flown, and know the old addage.... There are bold pilots, and there are old pilots but............ Thinking this might apply to the Northwest pacific in sailing ...Whudda ya think???

sounds like intentional Drifter recognizes a "Worry Wart" even through the confidence I have in myself.
Old 22-09-2011, 23:25   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A belated welcome to Cruisers Forum.

Please do let us know how your plans are going.

All here at Cruisers Forum wish you the very best.
Old 23-09-2011, 00:29   #28

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Every good sailor I know is a worry-wart. An obsessive worry-wart, at that....
This is good to know! Here I was thinking that I was being paranoid over my own trip!
Old 23-09-2011, 10:43   #29

A newby...

In regards to the Bash response.... I appreciate all my responses...... I got a call from Christopher Columbus the other day, and he said he didn't do so bad without Gps, computers, Grib files, aries wind vanes, Fureno Radar, offshore navigator, Ariex wind direction, marine Vhf..... He said he didn't even check with Noaa, and he didn't do too bad....... I have sailed with the "Big Ships" off Dana point, and it is neat to see someone read a barometer, and know whazzup!!.... I am still in the air, as I have not seen a "Window" I would sail out into to get even to Oregon...... Keep your ear to the waves.... the "Plow-through" may be me on the bucket list.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
This is good to know! Here I was thinking that I was being paranoid over my own trip!
Bangkaboat....... if you are going to have a noid, you might as well have a "pair-a-noids"....

Maybe I have the wrong philosopht for sailing, but I feel that as far as I can see, is a trip....... Seattle to San Diego is a long series of "Trips"....

Hear this.... I am reading posts about weather gods, and Neptune, and all that craparama, so I checked with my God, on this matter this morning..... he said..."Tim..... you are an idiot!!!.. do you know how much trouble it has been for me and your mother, keeping your Tit out of the wringer for seventy years?????".....LOL....
Old 27-09-2011, 18:04   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

darco, please clean up your language. This forum is supposed to be rated PG.

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread