Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22   #1

Boat: CT34
A WORKING copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4

Hi all.
I had a lot of trouble finding A copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4.
I now have a working copy thanks to Cruisers Forum contributors. Thanks guys, you know who you are.

I asume others over the years have had similar experinces.
MAny links to these are full of malware.

First
Recently, I was directed by a cruiers forum contributor (name witheld due to privacy considerations) to
Cm93 Januar 2011 (download torrent) - TPB
this torrent is active and is my working copy
Must use a torrent
Must use magnet
I used Deluge

Torrents are affected by the seeders. No seeders, no download. CAn be a frustrating wait. I was lucky.

To make it easier, If there is enough interest, I will

1. Upload the ones I have (and know they work together) to a dropbox and post download links to whoever asks
or
2. load it on to a DVD or USB stick or SD card and post it via snail mail.
For this you will have to send me the media and a reply paid envelope. Ask for my snail mail adress.

Let me know if this is a good idea.

cheers

julius
julius222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:51   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Talking Re: A WORKING copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4

[QUOTE=julius222;1933162]Hi all.
I had a lot of trouble finding A copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4.
I now have a working copy thanks to Cruisers Forum contributors. Thanks guys, you know who you are.

I asume others over the years have had similar experinces.
MAny links to these are full of malware.

First
Recently, I was directed by a cruiers forum contributor (name witheld due to privacy considerations) to
Cm93 Januar 2011 (download torrent) - TPB
this torrent is active and is my working copy
Must use a torrent
Must use magnet
I used Deluge

Torrents are affected by the seeders. No seeders, no download. CAn be a frustrating wait. I was lucky.

To make it easier, If there is enough interest, I will

1. Upload the ones I have (and know they work together) to a dropbox and post download links to whoever asks
or
2. load it on to a DVD or USB stick or SD card and post it via snail mail.
For this you will have to send me the media and a reply paid envelope. Ask for my snail mail adress.

Let me know if this is a good idea.

cheers

julius[/QUOTE

Interested in the drop box idea - seems to be the simplest way. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:44   #3

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: A WORKING copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4

OpenCPN is, of course, free to download at OpenCPN.org. But you should be aware that the CM93 chart database IS copyrighted, & C-Map would not be happy to see it being distributed. They charge beaucoup de bucks for it.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
OpenCPN is, of course, free to download at OpenCPN.org. But you should be aware that the CM93 chart database IS copyrighted, & C-Map would not be happy to see it being distributed. They charge beaucoup de bucks for it.
My understanding that C-MAP has finally got a cease-and-desist order issued and forced public distributors to take it down. Thus more folks scrounging for a copy here.

Might be a good time for the OpenCPN team to work out an arrangement with a vendor for legal charts. One big limitation of OpenCPN is no legal charts for waters where many of us cruise.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 15:37   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Might be a good time for the OpenCPN team to work out an arrangement with a vendor for legal charts. One big limitation of OpenCPN is no legal charts for waters where many of us cruise.
Thats actually happened already......

S63 Encrypted ENC charts, with chart files ending with ".os63".
This chart format is supported in OpenCPN from version 4. It is the format for all vector charts from national hydrographic offices worldwide. Apart from being encrypted, S63 charts are exactly the same as S57. All S63 chart worldwide, are available for purchase. The support is through a two part plugin, one part open source and the other part closed. The encryption and the commercial aspect is handled by a separate entity, o-charts.org
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:30   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Thats actually happened already......

S63 Encrypted ENC charts, with chart files ending with ".os63".
This chart format is supported in OpenCPN from version 4. It is the format for all vector charts from national hydrographic offices worldwide. Apart from being encrypted, S63 charts are exactly the same as S57. All S63 chart worldwide, are available for purchase. The support is through a two part plugin, one part open source and the other part closed. The encryption and the commercial aspect is handled by a separate entity, o-charts.org
Thats good, at least it opens up an option, but looks quite spendy compared to other options like Navionics on Android. For example, They list a Navionics package (in S-63 format) covering Carib basin and S & E USA for €1,250...same basic coverage I paid $59 for via Google Play.

Doesn't look like the S-63 plug in is available for Android yet?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21   #7

Boat: CT34

ok Guys

I withdraw my offer to post or upload

Did not realise the legalities

BUT

I will say that a torrent is available on TPB

Also sellers of electronic charts need to rein in their pricing. I am seeing ridiculous prices quoted in these forums.

Legal current c-map for all of Australia and New Zeland is only about $200 USD.
In fact I recently got a copy bundled with a Sounder-chart plotter and the bundle only cost $300 USD

So where do they come off charging thousand dollars plus for the caribean. Does not make sense.
julius222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Argentina, Brazil, NZ and the USA publish free charts of their coastlines. Hopefully someday the rest of the world will follow suit.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Argentina, Brazil, NZ and the USA publish free charts of their coastlines. Hopefully someday the rest of the world will follow suit.
Especially seeing as the hydrographic work is paid for from public money and taxes, it would be nice if the UKHO would open up their charts.

With regard to S63 charts and opencpn, I purchased charts for Ireland from chartworld, and they work very well with opencpn, after getting the plug in setup.
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 13:19   #10

Boat: Whisstock Gaff Cutter

Hi Julius
I'd be interested to hear the source of your Cmap Sounder plotter bundle for Oz. I'm getting back on the water and starting to look at nav options.
Cheers
Bill
Clarity27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 14:37   #11

Memory Map produce the whole of UK & Ireland for about £25
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 17:11   #12

Here is my suggestion. Suppose a company, let’s call them GCG (Good Chart Guys) obtains all the very best world-wide charts available within their cost framework. (Some jurisdictions provide free local charts, others may want $’s for their own investment in data acquisition e.g. CM93 suppliers or local Hydrographic Offices). GCG then make these digital charts available in areas (or up to the entire world) FREE to the end user. How do they make a dollar? Answer: Only when you scroll into a harbor or appropriate vicinity, a pull down menu appears which has internet access (if needed) data to all the local retailers and places of (even remotely) possible interest to boat owners or crews. Yes. Advertising paid for by the local folks placing the adverts, probably in a listed classified form e.g. marinas, chandleries, haul outs, clubs, bordellos, local recent marine info such as buoy changes etc .
The advertising is precisely directed at chart users of the local area and would thus be highly relevant. The adverts would have a specific “lifetime” e.g. 12 months, after which they would be automatically removed then updated and re-installed for the usual annual advertising fee. The chart user would also be obliged to “make contact” with the chart suppliers annually via internet to update chart changes. (These two dates may be the same or over a time space.) Again, FREE. I think these charts would find great acceptance because a) they are free, b) they would be the best available with free updates c) they would contain info. that allows access to highly relevant commercial data in their own region or to investigate facilities etc. at distance planned ports. E.g. if you are leaving Hawaii for New Caledonia you can check out what New Caledonia has to offer to meet your needs. Or you could weigh up New Caledonia with Auckland (NZ) (Again this is available while in Hawaii on the pull down and you can pre-plan).
The internet based classified adverts. Could also have a “review” link for various suppliers for the sailor to muse over, and encourage local businesses to lift their game.
The charts could be provided in formats and software to suit as many users who wish to use them. E.g. Garmin, Open CPN. (Probably vector format…)
Losers? Surely there would be some. Winners? The advertisers and the general boating community.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 18:34   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Why all the fuss with 93 C-maps?

Normally I think we need only one or two areas covered. And often C-map coverage of where small sailing boats go is, oh well.

Just get say NVB or Navionics charts and you will be fully covered for very little money.

I am glad 93 charts are still around but frankly they seem a bit dated.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 00:28   #14

Boat: Moody 44

Sorry for slight thread drift but relevent in view of the suggestion to use S63 plugin ...

On Canopus I use OpenCPN as my navigation software on a dedicated PC/Laptop setup.
It works great for me with some raster charts that I bought several years ago and some vector charts that I didnt (CM93) :sleeping:

I recently bought a more detailed portfolio of S63 charts for the Eastern Med (Turkey) and successfully paid for and downloaded some from Chartworld.

What I didnt realise at the time was that I was simply buying a license to use them for 6 months so they have now all time expired and appear unusable!

Does anyone know of another legal source for ENCs for the Med that dont have a time expiry on them ?

Thanks in advance
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 05:32   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Did they stop working or just that you can't get updates?

I was planning to purchase some myself down the track, but if they cease to work (or OpenCPN disables them), I would think again.

Tags
opencpn, enc