Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2023, 16:55   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Active captain app -- no longer functional?

I am a very active contributor to active captain, with something like 400 contribution points. Like many, I've been becoming disillusioned. I don't use a Garmin gps, and it appears that the active captain app is targeted towards interfacing with a Garmin unit.

I seem to recall noticing this last year, but I just sat down to add an Anchorage where there isn't one. I cannot do it in navionics, although Navionics at least shows the markers. But the active captain app seems to have zero relationship to what we used to call active captain.

Am I missing something? Is there an app for submitting and updating active captain markers?
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 18:36   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Active captain app -- no longer functional?

I believe you are correct. Garmin now uses the Active Captain name for their app, which used to be called something else and is unrelated to the AC database.

The only way I've been successful editing the data is through the web site. Possibly other apps can do this, but I haven't gone through them all to check.

You aren't the first to become disillusioned. As a formerly active contributor, it's sad to see all the data we users collected languishing. Unfortunately, there's no one good alternative out there.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 19:08   #3

Argo is a startup that is looking fairly good. I have made a personal effort to load it with data wherever possible. At this point, it is purely a one-way street, there's no data for me to use when choosing anchorages. I have enough experience that I can pick anchorages out by looking at a chart and Google Earth. Hopefully enough data will get there that people will start receiving as well as giving.
Old 21-05-2023, 19:36   #4

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Active Captain in its previous form had the potential to destroy Garmin, so Garmin did what all large tech companies do -- buy the competition and smother it.

Want to make a billion or so? Start up a new version of Active Captain and make it successful. You too can be bought out ...
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 04:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Want to make a billion or so? Start up a new version of Active Captain and make it successful. You too can be bought out ...
...Not if it were open source. Thinking about that off the top of my head, it seems to me that OpenCPN is well positioned to take over where AC left off. Maybe that's already been/being tried. Just seems like it would be a good fit.
Old 22-05-2023, 05:34   #6

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

We've used AC for a long time - in its original configuration and the current Garmin incarnation. Other than some glitches when the changeover occurred, we've never had any issues using the AC data (through the Garmin web page or AquaMap) or adding/editing. If your ap won't allow edit/add, its the ap, not AC.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 05:39   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've never tried the AC app, but the website still works just fine.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 06:11   #8

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

There are two alternatives:
www.noforeignland.com (there is also an app)
An app called Navily or www.navily.com
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 06:35   #9

I access ActiveCaptain via Coastal Explorer. No problems, and can easily add reviews.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 06:46   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Far as I know the AC App stopped working over 5 years ago.

But I still use the database etc. and add reviews to it either via the website or via my AquaMap App.
Old 22-05-2023, 13:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
We've used AC for a long time - in its original configuration and the current Garmin incarnation. Other than some glitches when the changeover occurred, we've never had any issues using the AC data (through the Garmin web page or AquaMap) or adding/editing. If your ap won't allow edit/add, its the ap, not AC.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
I agree -- it's the app. Unfortunately, it's the app called "ActiveCaptain".... Lol. But seriously, the cloud servers are there and other apps (and the ActiveCaptain website) do exactly what is expected. It's just unfortunate that the parent company doesn't produce a functional app.
Old 22-05-2023, 16:13   #12

I uploaded a review of a new marine services company earlier today. It is on AC with my review and pictures. Also checked Mobile version of Coastal Explorer.

No issues here with the app or feed to nav apps.
Old 22-05-2023, 19:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I uploaded a review of a new marine services company earlier today. It is on AC with my review and pictures. Also checked Mobile version of Coastal Explorer.

No issues here with the app or feed to nav apps.
Using the native AC app? Interesting. Android version or Apple? Can I ask you to check which version? I'm on Android 31.1.2237 I wonder if it's a version thing.

What steps do you take to get to a review? When I select the "chart" tab (at the bottom) I only get the base map, the ultra low detail background map, and no AC markers. Maybe it's because I don't own any Garmin plotters.
Old 23-05-2023, 04:59   #14

Same version here. I never really noticed the "chart" option. I only use the app when I need to connect to Garmin hardware. Mine brings up a detailed navigation chart (if I zoom in enough) and all the AC markers.

I was able to tap the "edit" (pencil) icon on the reviews and it opened a screen to let me enter one. So, yeah, this does still appear to be one way to update AC data.

I did notice the app was very slow, and hung up once. I suspect it was updating the database in the background.
Old 23-05-2023, 07:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Using the native AC app? Interesting. Android version or Apple? Can I ask you to check which version? I'm on Android 31.1.2237 I wonder if it's a version thing.

What steps do you take to get to a review? When I select the "chart" tab (at the bottom) I only get the base map, the ultra low detail background map, and no AC markers. Maybe it's because I don't own any Garmin plotters.
Screenshot of mobile Coastal Explorer though the review I posted on ActiveCaptain was done on a PC version of CoastalExplorer. To bring up ActiveCaptain locations, tap the "Places" icon on the soft menu (circled on screenshot). To leave an AC review in CoastalExplorer, I did need to login to AC, an option that pops-up when CE is fired-up.

PC is Windows 10. My phone is a 1-year old Samsung S22 Ultra so running very recent versions of OS

The highlighted review of "Niza Marine" in Ensenada was originated by me. They were not in the AC database so not only did I add the review, but added the facility. BTW - in my opinion, Niza is a bunch of incompetent crooks so extreme caution for anyone looking for marine work in Ensenada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230523_091951_Photos.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	275742

Tags
captain, fun