Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 12:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46
Active Captain still Active??

So shows chart but no details. Nothing. Tried on both my wife and my account and devices. Deleted and reinstalled. Same. Is ActiveCaptain still active? I have no Garmin devices if that matters,
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 18:12   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Active Captain still Active??

Are you talking about the app, or the web site?

The web site is at https://activecaptain.garmin.com and is still functioning. I think there were some hiccups getting accounts moved over from Jeff. Mine worked fine so all I can say is you may have to re-register.

There's been a bit of history with the apps. The most recent one does double duty as the interface to Garmin hardware, but can still be used on its own to some extent. Likewise, some third-party apps which included AC data still work, while others have dropped support. I'd start with the web site and be sure you have a working account before trying any apps.

But you actually raise a bigger question: Is AC still "Active?"

The jury is still out. The data around here is getting pretty stale, but some folks report seeing and making recent reviews. I'd be thrilled to see it go back to the level of activity it had before Garmin acquired it, but I'm not optimistic.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 18:29   #3

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Are you talking about the app, or the web site?

The web site is at https://activecaptain.garmin.com and is still functioning. I think there were some hiccups getting accounts moved over from Jeff. Mine worked fine so all I can say is you may have to re-register.

There's been a bit of history with the apps. The most recent one does double duty as the interface to Garmin hardware, but can still be used on its own to some extent. Likewise, some third-party apps which included AC data still work, while others have dropped support. I'd start with the web site and be sure you have a working account before trying any apps.

But you actually raise a bigger question: Is AC still "Active?"

The jury is still out. The data around here is getting pretty stale, but some folks report seeing and making recent reviews. I'd be thrilled to see it go back to the level of activity it had before Garmin acquired it, but I'm not optimistic.
It seems to be pretty active on Aqua Maps.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 07:56   #4

Boat: Lagoon 46

When I log into on the web site, it's all there, but not on the App, where the chart is void of any information/detail???
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:23   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Android or Apple?

I can only answer for Android, but the "new" app is totally different from the one we used when Jeff was running things. Upon opening, it firs shows "Boat Apps," which connects to any Garmin devices you have. At the bottom you can select "Chart."

The base chart is horrible, but you can download more detailed segments. They're still not great. And you have to scale way in to see any of the AC points of interest. I don't personally find the app very useful, although it's kinda fun to take control of someone's Garmin chartplotter and mess with it while they're at the helm.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:45   #6

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Like cofc said, AC is working fine on Aqua Maps, and we've found it quite useful here in Maine this summer. I looks to me like folks are updating and adding new stuff, though perhaps not as much as the olde days.

With the big changes in prices/inflation this year, pricing info is often out of date, however.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain