Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 06:13   #46

Boat: Hughes 38, MK1
Re: Advice for Sailing boat from North Lake Huron to Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The Seaway requires two people onboard for the downbound Lake Ontario - Montreal section only. The Welland downbound requires only one "competent" skipper altho' they can stop you if they deem you "incompetent" and insist on a second hand. Downbound in the Welland is very easy I've run 50' downbound single handed with no trouble. upbound I wouldn't do without three onboard.

Seaway workers moonlight as hired second hands for the Ontario-Montreal section and upbound as "third" hand in the Welland (required due to turbulence of filling locks).

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/wp-con...ftguide_en.pdf
Thanks Boatpoker . That is good to know about the down bound through the Welland.
BDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
The only tricky part would be 30 miles across Lake Ontario without a mast..... Pick your weather window carefully.
Approx. 80 miles from the mouth of the Trent to Oswego.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:29   #48

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

There’s the guy OP Boatpoker. Call him to deliver the boat. Problem solved. Ya it’s a good run across from Trenton to Oswego. Your odds are great at catching good winds.
There are several places in Trenton to remast. The other end Lock 45 is a hard place to get the mast off. The crane at Severn Boat Marina your best bet. The Owners Hilda and the Senator long gone but still a super nice place to stop. Next Lock the railway in slings. It’s a great trip. Orillia best port on Trent Severn. Peterborough the worst. It’s a picturesque part of the great loop. Buckhorn Lakefield Stoney Lake you won’t want to leave. Leaving Lake Simcoe plan a day of prop walk ditch. Otherwise it’s crazy beautiful.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:51   #49

When you get to the St Lawrence (north East of Quebec City) make sure you plan to take a day or more to go up the Saguenay River and fiord. Lots of beluga whales and the Bay of Eternity and Perce Rock is also exceptional
in fact it's world class!

Quebec City has 18 ft of tide so you can't anchor anywhere - the marina is worth it since it is in the city... and there is lots to see.
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:05   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediaguy View Post
When you get to the St Lawrence (north East of Quebec City) make sure you plan to take a day or more to go up the Saguenay River and fiord. Lots of beluga whales and the Bay of Eternity and Perce Rock is also exceptional
in fact it's world class!

Quebec City has 18 ft of tide so you can't anchor anywhere - the marina is worth it since it is in the city... and there is lots to see.

We actually bypassed QC because, as the saying goes, there was no room at the inn. We went by exactly as they were hosting a tall ship regatta for Canada 150. We did manage to anchor just a short way downstream, still with massive tides (18' sound right ... I'd have to check my log).

We anchored pretty much the whole way down the big river, only stopping twice to refuel. It's not easy, but can be done.

Remasting after the Trent is also possible in Belleville, and a bunch of other marinas along the Bay of Quinte. If you go around through to the Upper Gap, or even on around to Wolf Island, the crossing to Oswego is much shorter. But you still have to traverse a good chunk of open water. I'd be very wary of doing so with a mast strapped to my deck.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:28   #51

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The 150 was a hoot. Quebec City is a highlight sorry you missed it.
I was out on the lake off Toronto when the tall ships left on the 150. The Norwegians with the small sail but 48 oars kicking ass so bad it was funny. The crew like Canadian beer. All of Quebec is stunning and friendly ports. Montreal is a great city also. If you scuba book a trip out of Rimouski on the Empress of Ireland. Better still take 3 of us with ya. Boatpoker Captain, Rumrace Cook, what could possibly go wrong
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:54   #52

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

We anchored pretty much the whole way down the big river...

Mike,

Do you recall the location of your anchorages? If so, could you post the details here? This would be helpful information in planning for my impending delivery journey down the Seaway. "Thanks" in advance.
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:20   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeviiSail View Post
Mike,

Do you recall the location of your anchorages? If so, could you post the details here? This would be helpful information in planning for my impending delivery journey down the Seaway. "Thanks" in advance.
Sure I remember... or rather, iNavx remembers . Here's an export of all our anchorages down the St. Lawrence and even around the northern peninsula of NL. Note, we used most of these, but not all. Some were put in as backups or just as possibilities.

If you have any questions about specific, ask away. I'll tell you what I remember. It's a great trip. Take your time. Enjoy it.

Note: This is a .kml file, which is readable in various mapping programs like iNavx, and also Google Earth.
Attached Files
File Type: kml OReilly_waypoints.kml (54.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-05-2022, 10:34   #54

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Quote:
Here's an export of all our anchorages down the St. Lawrence...

Fantastic! Thank you very much, Mike!!

HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 19:01   #55

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)

Quote:
Sure I remember... or rather, iNavx remembers . Here's an export of all our anchorages down the St. Lawrence and even around the northern peninsula of NL. Note, we used most of these, but not all. Some were put in as backups or just as possibilities.

If you have any questions about specific, ask away. I'll tell you what I remember. It's a great trip. Take your time. Enjoy it.

Note: This is a .kml file, which is readable in various mapping programs like iNavx, and also Google Earth.

Thanks
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, nova scotia, sail, sailing