Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 18:39   #1

Advice, palmetto to Miami

Hi all, I am planing to sail from Palmetto Fl. To Miami mid December,
Beneteau 40 cc 5’6” draft 53 fwl mast height. Has anybody made this trip and if you have advice and insights would be greatly appreciated.
stratus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:35   #2

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Advice, palmetto to Miami

Made the trip in reverse a few years ago. Next time I do that trip, which will be in about five years, here's what I would do (assuming I'm not going to do it all in one shot):

Leg 1 (over night): I'd move down the river to the ICW at Anna Maria and anchor behind Long Boat Pass. Then, when ready, I'd leave at first light, head through the bridge, make a left and head south. I'd over night it to Boca Grand and enter the ICW southbound there behind Captiva/Sanibel, anchoring near "Ding" Darling Wildlife Refuge (check Active Captain) and wait for my next weather window. As alternate, you can anchor at Cabbage Key for the Dollar Bar happy hour experience, or push on the Ft. Myers Beach and pick up a mooring ball. I prefer to anchor out when possible.

Leg 2 (Overnight): I'd leave Sanibel early, follow the ICW out the Sanibel bridge and sail south, passing Naples/Marco, leaving plenty of room around Cape Romano, and sail overnight to Little Shark River the next day. Great anchorage, beautiful scenery, and bugs aren't an issue this time of year. Also, it makes for an easy day through shallow waters to come.

Leg 3 (Daysail): Leave Little Shark at first light and head south towards Marathon. Crossing the Gulf of Florida is great and there'll be lots of wild life. Watch out for crab pots. When you get close to the Keys, it is important you hit the Seven Mile Bridge approach between Green "17" and Red "16" to enter the channel, following it to the bridge. This is where it gets shallow. You can enter Boot Key Harbor (which is fun) or anchor outside for the next section (I've done both). Check the chart, but you should be fine going under 7 Mile (fixed bridge).

Leg 4 - Hawk Channel: You'll be sailing up the Hawk Channel between the keys and the reefs. This is quite protected and is much like sailing in a pool. It is an overnight, but I didn't do it that way, as I anchored north of the bridge at Channel Five between Lower Matecumbe Key and Long Key. I don't recommend it - holding was not the best. Check active Captain if you decide to stop, as there are lots of options. The goal here is to make Angel Fish Creek at the north end of Key Largo. Good anchorage inside the creek and another on the Biscayne Bay side near Pumpkin Key. Once you are here, you are set for the last leg.

Leg 5 (Day trip): From Angel Fish Creek, it's a day trip up through Biscayne Bay to Miami. It's beautiful, but the water here is shallow and you'll need to be ok sailing in 7 feet of water. My draft on my old boat was 5 feet, and we never touched anywhere on this trip. I plan to do it with my new boat, which draws 6.25 feet. Just be sure you hit the ICW markers (they mark where channels are dredged through shoals and reefs) and you should be fine. Check the charts. Near Miami, there'll be another fixed bridge, but it also shouldn't be a problem, as most of the ICW bridges have sufficient clearance for your mast height.

It's a good trip. With prevailing winds from NW this time of year, you should be able to sail the whole way.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami