Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2021, 12:47   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Another thing about Navionics is the sounding data appears to be much more detailed than the official charts. Where did they get that more detailed info that as far as I know doesn't exist? I don't think they went out and resurveyed the world. I don't trust it.
As I noted above, here in British Columbia, Navionics "sonar charts" look very detailed but are based on fantasy. Not real data. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common issue elsewhere.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I use Navionics around the local area and consider it really a chart display app. Navionics' Active Captain integration is very handy.

I use SeaIQ on passages and occasionally in the local area. I like the AIS and plotting functions. It is more of a true chartplotter. I don't think SeaIQ does a very good job with ENC display but it has NOAA raster charts which I like for all the reasons provided by others.

And, when I was in the Bahamas I used Aquamap for the Explorer Charts on an ipad.
Navionics IS able to show AIS targets
Old 24-02-2021, 13:15   #18

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
That is a big upgrade over iSailGPS.

I just noticed that SeaIQ, which also has the integrated AIS feature, automatically updates raster charts as NOAA does it, and gives them to you free.

iSailGPS lets you download NOAA charts for free, but you have to delete them and go back and download again to get updates. [NOAA updates them regularly]
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 14:32   #19

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Another thing about Navionics is the sounding data appears to be much more detailed than the official charts. Where did they get that more detailed info that as far as I know doesn't exist? I don't think they went out and resurveyed the world. I don't trust it.
Navionics does have a feature where users can connect their depth sounder to the app and have it up-load user data. It is obvious in remote areas where you can see a line of soundings in an otherwise unsurveyed area. It's a nice feature when in the Bahamas or Belize.... I did find Navionics to be much more accurate than my "NV charts" in both the Bahamas and Caribbean.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 16:32   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am calling BS on their Sonar View. Maybe it is real some places but other places it is just an averaging algorithm.

I spent a lot of time day dreaming about Greenland. I look at the normal charts and see a rock here and there. But sonar has all this really detailed data. So where did they come up with that data? Look closely and you will see that they just took the individual shown rocks and then worked an algorithm to guess at some smooth transition between known points.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 16:32   #21

Boat: Spacesailer

I'm just looking at my first nav software. and replacing my sounder. I found the Garmin fishfinders with gps pretty easy to use and understand.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 16:35   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Official Canadian raster charts are indeed not free... a different system up here. But they are my preferred chart. Availability: the main Canadian online marine stores sell them (well, access to them) at a fixed price, you then go to CHS Data Portal and enter key and download. you can update for 24 mos, effectively giving you updates for 3 cruising seasons (if started in May). After then, tgey remain available but not updatable (except by your own hand).

CHS Dealer webpage:
Canadian Hydrographic Service

For example:
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/mobi...oduct=60511072

If you are using OpenCPN, you can get equivalent of CHS vector charts for a very reasonable annual fee. They're good, but I prefer (and pay for) the raster charts:
https://www.o-charts.org/
Canadian raster charts are available for iPhone/iPad via iNavex.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:36   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am almost certain iNavex can also display AIS, but I think you need a paid upgrade. Something I should look into more since AIS quit working on my C-80.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:59   #24

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft CS36T

Quote:
As I noted above, here in British Columbia, Navionics "sonar charts" look very detailed but are based on fantasy. Not real data. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common issue elsewhere.
Georgian Bay, Canada; I had a hard grounding at 5.5 knots on granite after believing Navionics "sonar charts". As a number of folks have noted, these are simply made up by interpolation and should not be trusted.

I still keep Navionics updated and use it in the cockpit, but treat the sonar "charts" with extreme suspicion. Navionics does have an agreement with CHS to use the official hydrographic data in their products. Under Garmin ownership, they seem more interested in becoming the boater's Facebook rather than improving data quality and keeping it updated, for mariners safety. Not a fan.
Shawanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 17:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Canadian raster charts are available for iPhone/iPad via iNavex.
Yes, they are the same CHS chart packs (and same $) as available from other dealers. For example, there are 3 sets for BC coast, C$174.99/set.

OCharts CHS vector charts for all of BC coast are about €30/yr.
Old 25-02-2021, 04:48   #26

OpenCPN is great.
Works with both types of charts, vector and raster.
Has lots of chart types supported and radar, AIS, autopilot.
More advanced features for routing.

I use it on tablets, laptop and mobile.
It is free and had direct easy access tools for free NOAA chart downloads.

regards
John
CorinthianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 04:52   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Can't say as I've ever heard Navionics is an industry standard.

From mid-Atlantic to Florida, we've found AquaMap (Master USA version) to be most useful... partly because it can incorporate USACE survey data for the ICW. Also includes Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain markers.

Otherwise we've tried iSailor and it's decent. And I'd imagine the TimeZero app version for iThings would be very decent too; we don't do iThings, but have TimeZero on a laptop as backup and it's excellent.

For a while, we used Plan2Nav with C-Map charts, but it was replaced... can't remember the replacement name off-hand... and we didn't stick with it. Initial eval looked decent, though.

-Chris
Old 25-02-2021, 07:25   #28

Boat: Beneteau 373

Navionics is a Garmin company. They actually came to the lake I'm on on Arkansas and mapped it in detail.
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 07:31   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M B View Post
Navionics is a Garmin company. They actually came to the lake I'm on on Arkansas and mapped it in detail.
Yet they cant get the cuts in Bahamas right!

Probably tells you something about their market segment, lots more lake sailors, mostly power, than Bahamas sailors.

So I will look to Navionics when I get a bass boat.

Use what works for your usage.
Old 25-02-2021, 07:37   #30

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Yet they cant get the cuts in Bahamas right!

Probably tells you something about their market segment, lots more lake sailors, mostly power, than Bahamas sailors.

So I will look to Navionics when I get a bass boat.

Use what works for your usage.
Just out of curiosity, and not to argue your point, since I've never been to the Bahamas: How shifty are those Bahaman cuts?

(The only really shifty channel I've dealt with up here, Chatham, you basically have to throw out all the charts and apps if really you must go, and follow in someone who knows. Sort of like the ocean inlets from Delaware on down.)
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, navigation