Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 14:47   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

Quote:
The additional sounding data is derived from the community edit function.

Several other posts above in the thread have addressed this.

This MAY be true.
But other times they just make it up. It appears to be derived from that just averages between known points, creates a smooth transition between existing soundings. No new soundings.

How to tell which ones are which?

And even if crowd sourced what does that mean? Suppose some Joe runs around in some place with a poorly calibrated sonar and provided data off by a few feet. How do they verify the data?

NOTHING about Navionics sonar data gives me any reason to trust it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 19:04   #62

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
The additional sounding data is derived from the community edit function. If your boat is properly set up and you have set up the Navionics program on your plotter to allow community edits, it will upload the sonar information from your boat and add that data to all the other boats that have done the same, and that way it slowly builds up a picture of the seafloor from all the boat data combined (won't just use one boats data for obvious reasons) I personally think it is a great idea and probably the way forward, but I expect there will always be naysayers (luddites) who will disagree
Isn't the big problem here the possibility of trolls who deliberately put in bad information just to mess with skippers and their stuff?

Happy to be called a luddite if this concern makes me one. If only all cruisers could form a bond of trust.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 19:10   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Isn't the big problem here the possibility of trolls who deliberately put in bad information just to mess with skippers and their stuff?

Happy to be called a luddite if this concern makes me one. If only all cruisers could form a bond of trust.
Arr.!!! The return of the 'Wreckers'... Hey Jim lad, spin us a yarn..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 22:15   #64

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Arr.!!! The return of the 'Wreckers'... Hey Jim lad, spin us a yarn..
Haha. I was thinking more along the lines of that scene in The Shipping News where the crooked family hangs a lantern on the shoal....
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Those were “wreckers” Boaty mentions.

Uiu are not a troll, the concern is valid.

At least Navionics should expose how they validate their data. It doesn't have to be intentional misinformation, just stupidity.

And I would love to see where there sonar os based on actual data vs. some algorithm.

Given how careless they have been with the Bahamas problem I don't trust them.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:46   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Haha. I was thinking more along the lines of that scene in The Shipping News where the crooked family hangs a lantern on the shoal....
Its was a career choice on the Cornish coast for a couple of centuries..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:54   #67

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

The Navionics app is capable of showing government charts as well as the Navionics charts and the crowd sourced sonar charts. It is two clicks to switch between them. I also do not like the user interface as all that much though.

In regards to the crowd sourced data. It is additional information. That is all. I my area I have seen spots where the NOAA charts are grossly outdated. The Navionics charts are closer but the crowd sourced data was the only one that showed the cuts through the bar properly. Use all sources of information that are available and when they disagree use extra caution.

The downside to the crowd sourced data is of course that it is only accurate for places that people actually travel. Nobody travels over the rocks and bars unless you have a flats boat, so there is no data for those locations.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:33   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Those were “wreckers” Boaty mentions.

Uiu are not a troll, the concern is valid.

At least Navionics should expose how they validate their data. It doesn't have to be intentional misinformation, just stupidity.

And I would love to see where there sonar os based on actual data vs. some algorithm.

Given how careless they have been with the Bahamas problem I don't trust them.
Haha. Haven't read The Shipping News in years. Remembered the scene, not the name of the miscreants. Thanks, hpeer.

I've been on Other People's Boats where someone, hoping to be helpful, wrote on the clutches the names of the various rigging lines led aft to the cockpit.

Except sometimes, they'd mislabel them.

So an inattentive skipper, in a pinch, thinking he was releasing a reef line, say, was in fact dropping the jib.

You can't underestimate inadvertent stupidity. I wouldn't trust a community-sourced depth contour if one leapt out of the water with a treasure chest and dropped gold doubloons on my deck.

(Then again, I expect there are places in the world where you have to go on less. Perhaps my journey will take me there someday.)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50   #69

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
The additional sounding data is derived from the community edit function. If your boat is properly set up and you have set up the Navionics program on your plotter to allow community edits, it will upload the sonar information from your boat and add that data to all the other boats that have done the same, and that way it slowly builds up a picture of the seafloor from all the boat data combined (won't just use one boats data for obvious reasons) I personally think it is a great idea and probably the way forward, but I expect there will always be naysayers (luddites) who will disagree
While this may be the case for busier areas, we have many places in Canada which see very very few recreational boats (10/year would be a lot for some), and there's no way they have contributed enough sonar information to produce the (supposed) high-detail "sonar" charts Navionics shows for these isolated areas: pure fantasy (simple interpolations of existing limited data).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 22:38   #70

Boat: Newport 30-2

Savvy Navvy is a relatively new nav app that seems to be getting very good reviews - though no one mentioned it on this thread. I am ready to acquire a nav app for my tablet as a backup for my Garmin chart plotter at the helm, and am considering this one. Anybody here have experience with it?
billcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 16:26   #71

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcrowley View Post
Savvy Navvy is a relatively new nav app that seems to be getting very good reviews - though no one mentioned it on this thread. I am ready to acquire a nav app for my tablet as a backup for my Garmin chart plotter at the helm, and am considering this one. Anybody here have experience with it?
I have Savvy Navvy, but didn't' mention it because of a conflict of interest. I am one of the crowd funded investors for the start up and also know the developers. I think it is great but then I would say that wouldn't I?
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 20:10   #72

Boat: Looking to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I THINK it is here.

Wow looks like they corrected the hell out of that area after that - https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@14&key=oklnC~_amM
Duxa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, navigation