Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2020, 00:54   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
AIS, OpenCPN, and iSailor

I have two questions I'm seeking help with. They are somewhat related so I combine them here.

I use iSailor which has been accurate between Langkawi and Phuket. It's read on a Samsung Tab A which seems to work well, although I've just started using it. I have a GME AIS from which I'd like to get target info on the iSailor App. Is there anyone knowledgeable on how to do this? I wrote Wartsila, the owner/publisher/developer, and they never wrote back! I believe they have an internet option. I don't want that but want to connect my AIS to the tablet. The AIS has a USB out and, I believe, NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 outputs, one of which seems to be an RS232 connector. The Samsung TAB A has a USB type C port.

The other, somewhat related question, regards using the USB out from my GME AIS to get GPS and AIS data into OpenCPN on a Dell Windows 10 laptop. That's what I was doing with OpenCPN v. 4 but when I changed to OpenCPN v. 5 I no longer get GPS location nor AIS target information. I'm thinking I should try going back to OpenCPN v. 4.

Help!
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 02:29   #2

Re: AIS, OpenCPN, and iSailor

Re iSailor & AIS

You need an AIS unit with wifi capability (like a Vesper XB8000) to connect to iSailor.

In iSailor settings go to Sensors > AIS & NMEA connections > Unlock AIS Options

To unlock it will cost you a one-off payment of around 10 euros.

Full details of how to connect AIS are on page 169 of the original Transas iSailor manual. Still available to download from here -

http://www.isailor.us/faq/i/Transas_...ser_Manual.pdf

Hope this helps.
RoseofWight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 02:46   #3

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

A cheaper option may be to get a unit like NMEA2WIFI, which should accept the usb input from your current AIS and transmit over wifi usable by your Laptop and Tab simultaneously.

Google search should find it, Portuguese guy who shipped to me in South Africa with no problems.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 02:47   #4

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

A cheaper option may be to get a unit like NMEA2WIFI, which should accept the usb input from your current AIS and transmit over wifi usable by your Laptop and Tab simultaneously.

Google search should find it, Portuguese guy who shipped to me in South Africa with no problems.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 02:50   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

You can also use a Multiplexer with your existing GME AIS. That is what I use to connect my GME AIS to inavx on my ipad. I went for Ship modul MiniPlex-3Wi(-N2K) as it also interfaces with Raymarine instruments. They sell a variety of versions

ShipModul Marine Electronics

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 03:28   #6

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
I have two questions I'm seeking help with. They are somewhat related so I combine them here.

I use iSailor which has been accurate between Langkawi and Phuket. It's read on a Samsung Tab A which seems to work well, although I've just started using it. I have a GME AIS from which I'd like to get target info on the iSailor App. Is there anyone knowledgeable on how to do this? I wrote Wartsila, the owner/publisher/developer, and they never wrote back! I believe they have an internet option. I don't want that but want to connect my AIS to the tablet. The AIS has a USB out and, I believe, NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 outputs, one of which seems to be an RS232 connector. The Samsung TAB A has a USB type C port.

The other, somewhat related question, regards using the USB out from my GME AIS to get GPS and AIS data into OpenCPN on a Dell Windows 10 laptop. That's what I was doing with OpenCPN v. 4 but when I changed to OpenCPN v. 5 I no longer get GPS location nor AIS target information. I'm thinking I should try going back to OpenCPN v. 4.

Help!

You can transmit the AIS signal from your GME AIS by adding a 'Yakker' NMEA to WiFi module from Yakker. You may need to do something for iSailor to allow it to accept the WiFi signal.

As to OpenCPN. There maybe something which has changed in the 'Connections' area. Be sure you know the number of the Com port which Windows has allocated the USB connection then look there to ensure it is setup correctly. However, if you add the 'Yakker' you can also setup OpenCPN to receive AIS from the WiFi at the same time without the need for a wired USB connection.

I have no connection to Yakbits but have been a satisfied customer using a Yakker for exactly the purpose described above.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:48   #7

Markcouz, Ilenart, and Gypsy. Thanks so much for your input. I was hoping that there would be some way to convert NMEA to wifi. Now I just have to decide which to try. I'm rather illiterate technologically. It seems like the Yakker and NMEA2WIFI do the same thing. I'm not so sure about the multiplexer. I know there is a small charge to iSailor to use with AIS but it's pretty cheap and I've liked it so far. I realize you're probably right about my need to get the com port matched right to the USB.

Thanks a lot.
Old 24-01-2020, 07:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

On the Dell laptop, and OpenCPN v5:

What Serial/USB adapter are you using to connect from GPS/AIS receiver to computer?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 08:51   #9

Hi Dave, Thanks for your help. Actually I don't have an adapter. I just plug the USB out of the AIS directly into my laptop. It worked before but there's an AIS CD so I may try reinstalling the driver.
Old 25-01-2020, 09:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy23 View Post
You can transmit the AIS signal from your GME AIS by adding a 'Yakker' NMEA to WiFi module from Yakker. You may need to do something for iSailor to allow it to accept the WiFi signal.

As to OpenCPN. There maybe something which has changed in the 'Connections' area. Be sure you know the number of the Com port which Windows has allocated the USB connection then look there to ensure it is setup correctly. However, if you add the 'Yakker' you can also setup OpenCPN to receive AIS from the WiFi at the same time without the need for a wired USB connection.

I have no connection to Yakbits but have been a satisfied customer using a Yakker for exactly the purpose described above.
I too have one of those and use it to send NMEA, including AIS, to my phone or a tablet or even sometimes an extra laptop. They are pretty cheap too
I have sometimes has issues with multiple devices hooked up, it seems like it can get flaky past 3 or so. YMMV
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 17:01   #11

I ordered a Yakker. It seems like a cheap enough device and they claim it's simple. I'd love to get my OpenCPN working and be able to move on to more enjoyable jobs like the head.

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn, sail