Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 18:39   #1

AIS Transceiver Problem - Always Colliding with Myself !

I have installed a Comar CSB200 AIS transceiver hooked up to my PC running Maxsea 10 and a Standard Horizon CP 500 chart plotter. All works as advertised except for one problem: The CSB transmits own ship AIS sentences mixed in with the other ship messages. Both Maxsea and the CP500 get confused and don't recognize the own ship messages as special so they show an AIS target on top of my current position This is not really a problem. The problem occurs when I turn on the CPA alarm. It then goes off constantly since I am always within seconds of colliding with myself. Not so helpful.

Anyone have suggestions? Standard Horizon says get the transceiver to stop sending the messages and Comar says to get the display to filter the messages. I don't think there is a way to do either.
garrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 19:08   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: AIS transceiver problem - alway colliding with myself!

The other ships data should be output by the transceiver as VDM sentences, and your transmitted data should be output as a VDO sentence. Try running proAIS, and logging the output. Also, run proAIS for 10 minutes and see if your vessel appears on the "Other ships" list--it shouldn't. If it does and you see VDM sentences for your own vessel, tell Comair that their unit is not right. If it doesn't, switch to OpenCPN.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:10   #3

Boat: Gaff rigged sloop, 24'
Re: AIS Transceiver Problem - Always Colliding with Myself !

This problem may occur on other AIS units besides Comair. The charting software should have provisions to enter your own MMSI number and then filter out yourself as a target.
NavPak ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 20:29   #4

I am running the same Comar AIS with Nobletec VNS 10.7 and do not have that issue. I do not recall doing anything to filter out my own AIS data. I have entered the boat's name in the VNS software, so maybe that does it.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

This responce is of absolutely no use--but, you do know the other guys insurance agent. see what I meen.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged sloop, 24'

<<I am running the same Comar AIS with Nobletec VNS 10.7 and do not have that issue.>>

I'm not sure when it occurs, just that it does happen occasionally on various boats. Maybe it's the AIS model, firmware build or user settings.

<< filter out my own AIS data. I have entered the boat's name in the VNS software, so maybe that does it. >>

Maybe.

The MMSI works great for this because it is the quickest and least resource intensive thing to parse in the VDM sentence. If the issue doesn't exist on your boat then you can set own MMSI to 0 and it doesn't use any resources.
NavPak ECS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais