Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2021, 15:13   #76

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo
Re: Almanac and Celestial Navigation Calculator

Sean , at this time of your work will be quite useful for us to have a manual to handle all the spreadsheets and a rough explanation about the Letters .Remember not all of us are full fluent in celestial navigation and we are jump into the jungle again after decades without use it .Thanks again for your strong work
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 17:27   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by surazo View Post
Sean , at this time of your work will be quite useful for us to have a manual to handle all the spreadsheets and a rough explanation about the Letters .Remember not all of us are full fluent in celestial navigation and we are jump into the jungle again after decades without use it .Thanks again for your strong work

Surazo,

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to include some notes and explanations wherever I thought one might be needed. And if you click on the "Instructions" tab and scroll down, there are some definitions of a few of the abbreviations.

However, I do sometimes find it difficult to decide what should be explained and what should be commonly understood. I do want to provide clear instructions, but I don't want to go on and on about simple things and make the explanation boring or worse: insulting.

I will certainly consider adding more notes and explanations. But I also don't want to end up writing a whole book on the subject. It's a very difficult balancing act. I suppose that's why not everyone is a best-selling author.

Thank you again for the suggestion and for the kind words! Cheers!

PS
I have added a "links" page to my website which has, well ... links ... to a bunch of great resources online. There are many free books and services related to celestial and navigation in general. And please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have. You can reach me here or at my website.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 17:03   #78

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Sean , I understand perfectly that is not your main task at the moment because you had done a great job and probably will be improved more and more but remember perfect is impossible .
Indeed is quite difficult to get a proper balance between the obvious issues and avoid to spent more time writing than developing ,but finally I think you going to write a short chapter or manual with references .
Regards
Hernan
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 17:50   #79

New version posted on my website: https://www.cooknavigation.com.

v 0.3.4 - 2022, Oct 24
· Added day of the week calculation on Almanac tab.
· Added the option to display the celestial equator and ecliptic to the sky chart.
· Added the ability to increment time on the Almanac tab.
· Updated the delta-T values.
· Moved the "Auto-Fill" button for the date of celestial sights and added an arrow to hopefully clarify the button's purpose.

Cheers!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Almanac, celestial navigation, EXCEL, Great Circle, Sight Reduction