Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 14:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Alternative to GPS Navigation..

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...141100094.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 17:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Alternative to GPS Navigation..

Don't submarines kind of go non-GPS with inertial navigation and gyrocompasses--essentially a very sophisticated dead reckoning? I wonder if airplanes could do the same.
Just in case this doesn't work.
Old 09-07-2021, 18:22   #3

As someone who experienced plenty of moments of shear terror of "where the F*ck am I" in a Maine fog before GPS I have no interest in going back to just a compass, watch and DR track.

Most GPS glitches/jamming are very local and only for a few minutes. My boat doesn't go fast enough to get in trouble in that length of time (pilots potentially have a bigger problem)

And if it was a war? What idiot wants to sail their pleasure boat around in the middle of a war zone? I'd head for the nearest shore and find a buoy. No GPS needed. I'd also radio the CG for instructions because I don't want to be an "unidentified boat" when people with big guns are looking for the enemy.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 18:30   #4

This has already been used as an aid to other forms of navigation, like GPS—to further tighten things up. I’m not surprised they’re taking it a step further.

As for the above about subs and airplanes using INS/IRU/IMU/whatever...yep. Airliners have been using INS since at least the 60s. They’re VERY tight in the modern era. My last jet used a GPS aided INS.

This mag tech is all so we can operate in a GPS denied environment. Which we can right now...but it kinda (really) sucks doing so.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, navigation