Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 11:53   #16

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Re: Anchorages Yamba to Southport, east coast Oz

I did the Tweed Entrance only a month ago. Very easy in and out. Would recommend it as it’s beautiful inside. Check the cams, and VMR there were very helpful and friendly- even sent me the sonars of the last dredging, but I really didn’t need it. I’ve done most anchorages up and down the coast and Tweed was a surprising beauty. On the high you can travel well down as far south as past the golf club.
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:30   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Lucas is a legend, and I wouldn’t go far without his books.
Just btw, is that his boat in Yamba marina?
Agreed! Alan is not only a legend but one hell of a nice guy (as is his wife Patricia). His books can be trusted far more than most cruising guides and have guided us for many years.

And yes, Soleares is likely there in Yamba still. Between aging issues and the plague they've been isolated from her for far too long.

Jim
Old 15-11-2020, 14:41   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We've anchored in Byron Bay many times, and in many different wind and sea combinations. In even fairly strong southerly quadrant through west to west northwest it is quite tenable. In lighter northerly quadrant winds it is tolerable, but not particularly nice. Its main drawback is rolling in refracted swell coming around the point, but in a cat that shouldn't be a problem.

We have avoided Ballina ourselves, both because of the risks on its bar whilst entering and because once entered, becoming trapped by the bar worsening whilst one is inside.

And FWIW, the passage inside Cook island is easy and pleasant in most conditions and saves a few miles compared to passing Danger reef on the outside. At that point one could stop in the Tweed for a rest. We have never done so, so can't comment on its desirability, but it is accessible, especially for shallow draft boats.

Jim
Tweed is where I'm from, its beautiful in there BUT limited for deep draft yachts. At 2.4m theres was only two holes Sukha could anchor in, at low tide trawlers coming past can result in you touching bottom. Like all bars theres no problems on the right days.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, east coast