Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 16:58   #1

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 40
Anyone try Aqua Map on Windows PC with an Emulator??

I would like to do my route planning using Aqua Map on my Windows desktop PC, and then transfer to my phone and Windows laptop PC. Aqua Map is only available for Android and Apple and I am hoping someone has tried to run an Android emulator such as Bluestacks, Andy OS, Nox, or MeMu on a Windows PC and offer their recommendations.

Thanks
CS40 Elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 03:06   #2

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
Re: Anyone try Aqua Map on Windows PC with an Emulator??

Are you aware of Aqua Map's web chart viewer and planner? Functionality is a bit clunky (IMO), but with patience and practice, most necessary functions are there. Capabilities may vary with your Aqua Map subscription level, but I've had the Master-level subscription features for so long, I don't know what the limitations are. You can export your planned routes from the web tool in desired formats as needed. There are Aqua Map articles on the web/forum that describe using the tool, but overall, I would rate the tool's documentation as below average. However, as you probably know, Aqua Map developers are always working to improve the nav application, and that part is excellent.

Hint: I find OpenCPN's PC planning capabilities much better, easier, and more intuitive than Aqua Map's web tool, so I plan routes on my home desktop or boat's mini-PC in OpenCPN, export the OpenCPN route to a .gpx file which uploads easily to Aqua Map's web tool, download that from the Aqua Map web tool to my Aqua Map device(s), making adjustments as needed. Aqua Map adjustments are usually required, because Aqua Map's charts are typically better (or more up to date?) than those available for OpenCPN.

You can get to the web interface at https://www.aquamap.app/, set up a GEC account using your Aqua Map user name, and select "Chart Viewer" from the top menu ribbon. (Not sure of the order.)

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

Greg.
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 11:07   #3

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
Re: Anyone try Aqua Map on Windows PC with an Emulator??

100% with Greg. PC planning in OpenCPN and transfer .gpx files.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind