Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 18:42   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Question Anyone using Raytech's RNS

Does anyone have experience using Raymarines Navigation System for their PC? I am interested in implementing it and wondering if it is really worth the$$$$?

Thanks,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 13:50   #2

RNS is very cool. I have only hooked up the GPS to my computer, the Radar is going to require more work. I love the integrated look and feel. It is much more pleasant to sit down at the nav station and plot the course. This is as opposed to siting outside at the helm.
Old 06-11-2008, 14:16   #3

Boat: Sabre 362 Fogs End II
I've been using RayTech for 6 years, on a PC at the nav. I have a Raymarine radar chartplotter at the helm. I consider the helm unit to be essential and RayTech a luxury. It's a complicated program, lots of functionality, poorly documented, a steep learnng curve, many peculiarites, at times very frustrating. If all you want it for is route planning, uploading waypoints, and real time tracking underway, there are cheaper, simpler and better options. Its strength is radar integration, but unless you have the patience, you might be better off with a second radar station.
mjkassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 18:16   #4

I have used it now for several years. I really enjoy it. Yes, there are probably less expensive alternatives. But, I love being able to use my mouse to create a route on a nice large monitor. I like the fact that I am doing my planning on the same charts that I will be using while actively navigating. I love the fact that I can sit at the nav station and do my paper log entry with all the relavent position, course and speed data.

Yes, it is more expensive than some current alternatives, but it has served us very well.

Keith
Old 06-11-2008, 18:44   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I agree with most of comments above. It has a very high tech looking GUI emulating C/E series MFD's. Very complex although complete set of toolbars & controls with highly customisable setup.

Note that charts do not display properly under Vista, although it will install ok. A Vista compatible version, RNS 6.1 is due out at the end of this month adding AIS support. However Raymarines inability to solve networking issues with Vista (it's only been out three years) means it will have limited functionality compared with the earlier XP compatible version. I believe this affects among other things, the radar display when hooked up to E series MFD. Hardly a step in the right direction.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 19:00   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Anybody who is thinking aboyr buying a chartplotter program for your PC should invest $35 in a new book out by Mark and diana Doyle, called "Get Onboard with e charting". This book has been out only a month or so. easy reading and THEY tested about 14 of the programs and tell you the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Its about a 225 page book and once i started reading it i could not put it down. Well written, thorough, well documented and it makes a very technical subject very easy. They rate each software in about 60 or 70 different areas.

This a a MUST before investing alot of money in a program!

Gary
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote