Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2022, 12:50   #1

Aqua Map Anchor Alarm No Work TMobile

Recently upgrade to Aqua Map Master with hopes of taking advantage of their anchor alarm alerts.
Current TMobile cell phone customer. Aqua Map says unable to use their TMobile provided link?
TMobile provided their email to SMS information (phonenumber@tmomail.net)
which we successfully tested through our phones.
Any one use Aqua Map anchor alarm successfully with TMobile or like cell phone provider ?
Thank You
Tom Murphy
murtk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 04:16   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Aqua Map Anchor Alarm No Work TMobile

I haven't ever bothered to ask AquaMap to tell me something via phone, so my questions may not help...

But...

Are you saying the AquaMap anchor alarm works (?) but won't send a notification to your T-Mobile cell phone?

Are you saying AquaMap notifications originate as email on the nav device (tablet?), so need to get transferred to SMS for your phone?

Or...?

-Chris
Old 25-11-2022, 05:11   #3

Chris

The AquaMap app has an alert available in their anchor alarm app to send anchor alarm alerts from a device onboard with their app to another device via sms text.
I’m unable to get it to work with TMobile cell provider.
Do you have experience or have had any experience using the Aqua Map anchor alarm app with your cell provider?
Thanks
Tom Murphy
murtk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 05:43   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I have used the anchor alarm on AquaMap. But never have seen/tired to send it somewhere. The app is on my phone,iPad, tablet and I just use that for the alarm.
Old 25-11-2022, 06:48   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtk12 View Post
Chris

The AquaMap app has an alert available in their anchor alarm app to send anchor alarm alerts from a device onboard with their app to another device via sms text.
I’m unable to get it to work with TMobile cell provider.
Do you have experience or have had any experience using the Aqua Map anchor alarm app with your cell provider?
Thanks
Tom Murphy
No, I haven't ever tried to use that feature.

If AquaMap will originate an SMS text message, maybe try just your phone number? Without the T-Mobile converter from SMS to email? (If you haven't, already.)

-Chris
Old 21-01-2023, 17:30   #6

Wouldn't it be sweet if, lets say, you just dinghy'd to shore and you get a text msg triggered by your onboard mother-ship aqua map app letting you know that you're anchor alarm is screaming? It wouldn't be sweet to be dragging, but it would be GREAT if you just got notified about it and you aren't on the boat to hear the alarm!! I think that's what those "Advanced settings" in aqua map anchor alarm are for, but I don't know how to use them. It may involve a 3rd party SMS service (possibly other than your cell carrier) that can accept program calls from the aqua map app and knows your cell number.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 21:13   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

On a side note, you can do this remote alarming with the app from www.pomacanthus.app

We used the removal alarm once & then decided not to anymore but leave the AIS on instead.
We do still use the free anchor alarm though when asleep at anchor.

Background, we were once 3km inland on a supermarket till when we got the remote alarm.
A mad dash back to the boat followed, only to find her floating as before. Turned out to be a GPS glitch (they do happen!).
If it would not have been a GPS glitch, we were wondering what help it would have been should she have dragged. We could have nothing done - to far away.
So, it would not have saved the boat anyway.
Old 21-01-2023, 21:53   #8

Boat: Leopard 40

I use the Anchor app.

https://apps.apple.com/za/app/anchor...rm/id661180281

It works really well. You can run the app on 2 devices and link them. Then leave the one device (my ipad) on the vessel and take the other (iphone) with you. As long as the devices are connected to the internet the app will alert you. You can also then see on the app if you really are drifting, monitor remotely or even change the anchor alarm radius.

I like that you can set the alert tone as my hearing is not great, so when my vessel drift the Klaxon goes off loudly!!!!

It really works well and will give you the remote monitoring and alerts your are after.

It can even be set to send you an email.

Presume it is on Android.

Not connected to the developers, just a great app!

Cheers!

Eugene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	270F3A12-3966-4B9B-B47B-EDE80E8ADC86.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	270356  
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 22:09   #9

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
On a side note, you can do this remote alarming with the app from www.pomacanthus.app

We used the removal alarm once & then decided not to anymore but leave the AIS on instead.
We do still use the free anchor alarm though when asleep at anchor.

Background, we were once 3km inland on a supermarket till when we got the remote alarm.
A mad dash back to the boat followed, only to find her floating as before. Turned out to be a GPS glitch (they do happen!).
If it would not have been a GPS glitch, we were wondering what help it would have been should she have dragged. We could have nothing done - to far away.
So, it would not have saved the boat anyway.

I just saw now we both talking about the same App.

If you had set it up with remote monitoring using a second device you would have seen that the vessel had not moved and that it was a gps glitch. You can also filter these out or set a short delay before it creates an alarm, thereby allowing the gps anomaly to pass.

Note to self….try get neighbours cell number when leaving vessel and you not going to be nearby!

Cheers!

Eugene.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 05:15   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtk12 View Post
TMobile provided their email to SMS information (phonenumber@tmomail.net) which we successfully tested through our phones.
Under Advanced Settings, you can enter http/https links (URI) that get accessed when the alarm goes on of off. See the Aquamap Support Page.

Please note that this is an http link you enter here, and not an email address as you seem to be trying. There are services out there that send SMS messages based on accessed http links. See Aquamap's example on their help page.

HTH
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 07:07   #11

Boat: Tartan 4400

The Aqua Map user manual says this only works with IOS devices. We tried the Verizon URL on both Aqua Map and Anchor, and Verizon blocks access. I contacted the Anchor developer last year and they were very frustrated with Verizon. Still not working for us.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 07:38   #12

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksail View Post
We tried the Verizon URL on both Aqua Map and Anchor, and Verizon blocks access. I contacted the Anchor developer last year and they were very frustrated with Verizon. Still not working for us.
Did you try a third party service as shown in the help pages? You might have to sign up for an API key. Some services charge per use, without monthly fees, e.g. BulkSMS.

Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 13:14   #13

We had a similar issue recently and my husband was able to solve it after talking to the q link wireless customer service here. No idea what kind of changes they made but it is definitely a providers fault, so they should able to change it somehow.
IslaMujeres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, mob, work