Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 13:08   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Aqua Map Marine troubles?

with the favorable reviews on this program downloaded and installed the charts for the area was interested,about 10 days ago,all worked out fine,like the program and when wanted to save a route I created started the problems,a new noticed windows pops out advising of changes made to make the program better,that requires to sign up to a new link,link takes the id but not the password and also reports I am using the "lite" version (have purchased the charts $ 19.90)
When attempted to recover my password does not recognize my sign in email.
Same experience with my friend that just purchased same.
Sent an email to customer support yesterday but no response.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 06:34   #2

Re: Aqua Map Marine troubles?

All is well
Enrico answered (weekend accounted for delay)
account reset and program works perfect.
really nice app!!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 15:50   #3

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

I too downloaded the Aquamap and purchased the Caribbean maps for I think $19 bucks and it is super laggy and the detail of the maps have many larger port and marina areas with just blank contours. Davil, how did you know if you have the lite version? I am disappointed as I was using INavX for many years and am used to a highly detailed chart with tools for safe navigation but wanted AquaMap because of the integration with ActiveCaptain. How did you get ahold of someone at the company to assist you with the troubleshooting?
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 17:33   #4

Swammy
I also find it "lagy" and a nuisance in comparison to other charting software,the lite warning came out only one time and did not happen again,the details are OK,in comparison the straight NOAA have more details,however info displayed changes depending on level of zoom used,and the integration with AC helps.
Am not sure will use it as primary navigational aid but as complementary to other more "trusty?" like the Garmin I have in the plotter,as well as Navionics and of course the Open Source I also have installed,as you can see have an array of software and use them to complement each other.
Also the display could play a role,I have an android system based Yoga Book relatively new,not sure what system you have,but find the Open source to work better on a windows system
As contact them,used the link to support,Enrico eventually answered and believe the weekend might have delayed his response,he was nice and helpful.
All in all I think all these programs in my opinion should be used as helpers but no as primary info,except the Open Source that I have no problems as dependable using the NOAA as data base.
Hope this help.
David
Old 02-02-2019, 23:08   #5

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

I have used for over 10k open ocean miles the program INavX. However, I have not used it for 12 months and in the interim, they began selling the Navionics charts as the only option for the area in which I am going. They ask $69 for it compared to the Navionics site itself which sells the identical Caribbean for $29.

However, with that said, the INavX is and has been used as my primary even under Garmin and B&G systems installed on large sailing boats. The performance is great, the detail of the charts and accuracy in conjunction with my IPad4 with a waterproof case works well as long as the screen is not wet. I overlay weather and tides and use it to squeeze into challenging anchorages. The gps on the IPad is sufficiently accurate. For those who recommend a secondary external GPS, I say it is not necessary. I do use an external GPS as a Pilot of aircraft, but in a sailboat setting, a few feet is not needed for accuracy as the bottom shifts anyhow and the boat is going slow at 10knts compared to in a plane at 200knts.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:23   #6

Ahoy Swammy and Davil, I read you this thread that IPad4 works pretty well and wonder if y'all ever used and had experience using the Aqua Map app on any Android devices and if so which ones worked well for you? Thank you, Franco S.V.'Transition'
KonsortDUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 16:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonsortDUO View Post
Ahoy Swammy and Davil, I read you this thread that IPad4 works pretty well and wonder if y'all ever used and had experience using the Aqua Map app on any Android devices and if so which ones worked well for you? Thank you, Franco S.V.'Transition'
============================================
use both tablets and see no difference however Aqua Map has just released a new update and not sure how will impact functionality
Old 29-12-2019, 17:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
============================================
use both tablets and see no difference however Aqua Map has just released a new update and not sure how will impact functionality
I downloaded it a week or two ago, don’t do so unless you have good connectivity and a lot of data, because you have to re download the entire map database. Mine continues to work as well as it has always. I’ve never had a problem with it, and have been using AquaMap since Garmin dropped support of its blue chart app a couple of years ago.
If you have it, BlueChart still works surprisingly, I figure the next IOS update will kill it, I’ve lost a lot of apps that way.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 04:32   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

When we were helping friends install AQ on their iPad a couple days ago, the program responded with a warning -- when we set the safety depth -- that the setting would only affect vector displays, not raster.

???

Looked all over for on option to display a raster version, couldn't find...

??

Didn't see anything like that on the Android version we use ourselves... but then again I've read the recent iOS-version upgrade might be preceding an eventual Android-version update...

-Chris
Old 30-12-2019, 06:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

AquaMap recently made some major changes which requires a download of their charts. A pain but apparently unavoidable.

FWIW every time I have requested technical support I’ve gotten it within a few days and it was very accurate advice. That said I don’t use AM for navigation, but for planning and Active Captain integration. It works great for this and you can also back up your routes online.

iNavEx is my main navigation application. They had a problem because they were sourcing their maps by agreement through Fugawi. When Fugawi was bought out and sunk that option went away catching iNavex short. They had to renegotiate chart distribution agreements with each separate provider. This took them a while and may still be ongoing. Their inventory of charts is now fairly full.

But realize what iNavex does, it provides a single platform to display many different chart formats allowing you the flexibility to have the best charts for many Widely dispersed areas. That advantage is lost in someone who is always sailing in one region but for folks who move around a lot it’s a big plus. Then again if you are in the USA you get excellent charts so its OK to use as a primary nav instrument. Customer support has he excellent.

The other app I rely upon is WeatherTrack which gives you the ability to lay in a multi day course and view forecast weather as you proceed along the track. This app also has provided exceptional customer support.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine