Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2023, 08:01   #1

Aqua Map new anchor alarm mirroring and alerting

I just updated my Aqua Map app and see that the anchor watch tool has been significantly upgraded with a cool mirroring feature as well as notification options.

Can't wait to try this out which won't be long as life at anchor in the Med begins now! We have just arrived from Suez Canal after crossing the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.

What anchor watch tool do you use?

On our previous boat we had a Vesper Marine AIS transponder XB8000 which had an anchor watch app. The app was unreliable at sounding the alarm but because the monitoring was done in the actual hardware/firmware box, we installed a wired alarm and it worked without fail. Only issue, we couldn't monitor away from the boat. On the new boat we have a class A Raymarine AIS 950 transponder so different setup and a Raymarine MFD which has a reliable yet simple anchor alarm but it decided to stop sounding the alarm for this alert although it triggers for all sorts of other things. So this is THE feature I was waiting for!
CaptainGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 08:02   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Aqua Map new anchor alarm mirroring and alerting

Following. I use Aqua Map, haven't used the Anchor Watch feature yet.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 08:50   #3

Yeah pretty cool. I used another app for a while, but it's pretty rudimentary, and was an absolute battery hog, and you couldn't control the volume of the alarm (it was always set to MAX). Maybe these guys do it better.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 08:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Yeah pretty cool. I used another app for a while, but it's pretty rudimentary, and was an absolute battery hog, and you couldn't control the volume of the alarm (it was always set to MAX). Maybe these guys do it better.
I keep my iPad plugged in when my anchor watch is on but I haven't found it drains the battery much. It's been reliable (when my MFD would sound the alarm silently only which is pretty useless). Also, the way you set the alarm is smarter than a radius at your current location. Who sets an anchor watch right when they drop the anchor? When it's most needed it's usually windy and I'm not sitting on top of the anchor! If I can't adjust the centre of the circle and there's current I know I'll be woken up in the night for nothing!
Old 13-04-2023, 09:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGenie View Post
Who sets an anchor watch right when they drop the anchor? When it's most needed it's usually windy and I'm not sitting on top of the anchor!
I do even when it's calm. It's those late night squalls that aren't forecasted that worry me! Of course nowadays I seem to wake up any time something strange happens.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 09:56   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I have Aqua Map on iPhones and iPad. Before I go forward to drop it I set the phone on the anchor settings, then hit the "live anchoring" button just before I put the anchor down.
It takes guesswork out of direction and distance, Aqua Map makes all the calculations from the actual anchor position. It took a few times to get used to but now hitting the button and dropping the phone in my pocket before deploying the anchor is routine.
It works great.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 13:20   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

I just got the notification email from Aqua Map today about this new feature and I'm looking forward to using it. If it works as well as the rest of Aqua Map's features I'll be a happy cruiser.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 02:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
I have Aqua Map on iPhones and iPad. Before I go forward to drop it I set the phone on the anchor settings, then hit the "live anchoring" button just before I put the anchor down.
It takes guesswork out of direction and distance, Aqua Map makes all the calculations from the actual anchor position. It took a few times to get used to but now hitting the button and dropping the phone in my pocket before deploying the anchor is routine.
It works great.
That's a great feature too!
Old 14-04-2023, 02:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
I just got the notification email from Aqua Map today about this new feature and I'm looking forward to using it. If it works as well as the rest of Aqua Map's features I'll be a happy cruiser.

Bob
The mirroring is awesome!

Tags
alarm, anchor