Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2019, 12:17   #1

Aqua Map users, what Tablet R U using?

Dear Forum Navigators, I am considering using Aqua Map for ICW navigational aid on the advice of Bob423 (publishes a popular ICW guide). I am lookin for your independent advice and experiences if you are using the Aqua Map app and PLEASE INCLUDE WHAT DEVICE YOU LIKE BEST when using the Aqua Map app?? THANK YOU AND ALL THE BEST IN 2020!!
Signed Franco, S.V. 'Transition'
KonsortDUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Aqua Map users, what Tablet R U using?

IPad pro
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:26   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We are currently using a pair of Samsung Galaxy Tab A android tablets, one 10" and one 8". Both work well. Larger is better for more context and detail at the same time.

Happens we've been helping friends install AQ on their old iPad, which looks to be viable... but I notice the current iOS version of AQ has many more options in the setup menu than does our current Android version. On another forum, somebody mentioned GEC recently issues an iThing version, it was hosed (somehow?), and then that was corrected... apparently all in advance of the presumed Android update.

Anyway, their iPad is so old I probably couldn't do a fair comparison between current tablets.

-Chris
Old 29-12-2019, 12:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If Aqua Map is available in Android, it’s a recent thing, last year I told someone in the Bahamas to install it as it offers actual explorer charts, but they tried and couldn’t as it was available only on the Apple App Store
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:30   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

2nd generation iPad Pros: if you have the opportunity to compare several get the brightest one you can find.

AquaMaps is darker than Navionics and can be very hard to see in sunlight when you are wearing sunglasses. I had two and one was significantly dimmer than the other. Apple replaced it on the last day of my AppleCare warranty because it was visibly different from the other one.

I also use drone flyer sunshades that clip onto the pads to shade them. Finally I mount them on point of sale iPad holders with tilt and rotation and put them next to the Furuno chart plotter. I run Navionics on one and AquaMaps on the other.

I also have the latest and greatest iPad Pro but it is smaller in physical size although it has a slightly larger screen. Unfortunately the sunshades don’t fit it and it’s not as bright as the older ones.

You don’t need to buy the top of the line iPad with built in gps and SIM card slot, just buy the basic one and get a Bluetooth gps unit to feed them and an Anker multi-port charger to keep everything powered up. Get the most powerful charger you can find to keep them at 100% despite the power draw from the brightness being turned up and the Bluetooth.

AboveTEK Retail Kiosk iPad Stand,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB7KWGV...p_mob_ap_share

PGYTECH 12.9inch FPV Tablets... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCK7BZP...p_mob_ap_share

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Wall... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8ZW02...p_mob_ap_share
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 04:18   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If Aqua Map is available in Android, it’s a recent thing, last year I told someone in the Bahamas to install it as it offers actual explorer charts, but they tried and couldn’t as it was available only on the Apple App Store
I think I started seeing refs to AQ on Android maybe 6 months ago or so... We first installed in approx Sep, I think, or maybe early Oct...

My tipping point was about the USACE survey overlays, especially for the ICW. And then both AC and Waterway Guide markers are another plus. Otherwise, we'd already gotten 3 other tablet apps that all work fine, one of which also have AC markers.

-Chris
Old 30-12-2019, 08:08   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

I've bee running on an Android fir over a year and a half now.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:06   #8

We have had good results with a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 . Bob423's tracks were invaluable to first time ICW travelers with a 5'10" draft.
Sailbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:25   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Im using on an older iPad and a newer Samsung. It works best on the iPad. especially for the tides and currents, and the search function.

They just did an upgrade so everything may have changed.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:31   #10

If the budget isn't a problem, Aqua Map is amazing on iPad pro. Galaxy Tab A 32gb is a good option too.
Please consider that "WiFi only" iPad version doesn't have GPS chip.
raffo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:00   #11

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Galaxy Tab A and a Google Pixel 3. Been loving ir
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:11   #12

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffo5 View Post
If the budget isn't a problem, Aqua Map is amazing on iPad pro. Galaxy Tab A 32gb is a good option too.
Please consider that "WiFi only" iPad version doesn't have GPS chip.
We have the basic iPad and use this Bluetooth gps: Dual Electronics XGPS160... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E65TNYE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote