Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 02:14   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Astronomical Almanac on CD

Anyone used or have access to the Multiyear Interactive Computer Almanac 1800-2050??
Multiyear Interactive Computer Almanac 1800-2050 (MICA) by the U.S. Naval Observatory and published by Willmann-Bell $29.95

Would like to know if this could be used to print off astronomical data in a similar form to that used in the paper edition of the annual astronomical or Nautical Almanac. The idea being that the pages could be printed off in advance, (say for a 3 week period) and used in the same way as the paper edition. The purpose being not having to rely on a laptop for the data while on passage.
There is also a cost initiative.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 02:52   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
I suspect that the William-Bell package is just a pretty version of some "freeware". I think that you will find what you are looking for on this page: Software

This java program ( = all operating systems) is able to print the daily pages you are looking for: Celestial Algorithms

Thomas

Still into celestial even with this signature.......
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 05:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Thomas, thats the dogs boll#%ks. I tried a google search for online almanac etc, and never found those links.
Ideal for what I need
Thanks again
Old 28-02-2010, 08:51   #4

Boat: Mac 26x
Please pardon the newb type questions.I have a astra 111b sextant arriving in a couple of days,one book on celestial navigation and a learners willing,at this point i have never even held a sextant

The book that i have coming states that i require an Almanac as well,now does the software that you have linked to,remove this requirement?
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:09   #5

Boat: Dufour 35
The short answer is - yes.

When you go cruising, for real, make sure that you have a paper copy with you, the way Nigel is thinking of, is fine.

Personally, after thinking about different scenarios, I bought this book: Long Term Almanac , Geoffrey Kolbe. This will last until 2050, and I don't think I will be capable of much navigation, one way or another, after that .

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:33   #6

Boat: Mac 26x
Thanks for the link thomas,at present it all feels a bit like in trying to decipher a secret code when i look at those tables.

Matt
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 23:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The maths, at the end of the day is really the easy part, and with the use of sight reduction tables, it gets easier, and apparently, using a calculator makes it easier still. One of the links Thomas posted leads to some good stuff on celestial nav, with an easy to follow explanation of how celestial nav works. You dont need to know this, but having an insight to the principals is good.
Where most leaners go wrong is in the actual taking of the sight, not getting the sun, moon, planet or star down to the horizon properly, that just needs practise, and it helps if you know someone who is experienced in taking sights.
I was lucky, when I first went to sea, sextant was the primary means of fixing when deep sea, so it was normal to take half a dozen sun sights, plus full sets of stars at each twilight on a daily basis