Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 04:21   #1

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Augmented Reality

Hi All,

just wondering what the 'word on the street is on ‘Augmented Reality’ Navigation stuff?

I know there are many gadget tech people on here that know much more than me.

This is mostly still coming, but certainly looks pretty handy. I assume the way this is all going it will be reasonably inexpensive done from Smart phones and and Apps etc

I have seen these guys getting into it- Marinetraffic, Pocket Mariner SeaNav HD , Boat Beckon, SmartChart and Raymarine Wi-Fish
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 20:44   #2

Re: Augmented Reality

I am trying really hard to wrap my head around what this would look like and what it would add to my experience of being out sailing?

Considering that I am avoiding what most people consider "real life" in the first place being out cruising full time.

I do have a dream invention... it shows my boat's current position on my paper chart to save me the time required to plot a position... and it would still work after being hit by lightning...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 06:58   #3

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: Augmented Reality

Sorry I missed your earlier reply.

I dont know much about this myself, which is why I was asking. Apart from a few articles I've read about it.

From what it sounds like, the jist is using your smart phone camera (or any other camera cleverly network connected) point it so it's looking, for example forward. The view the camera is seeing on your screen/ view finder etc is 'augmented' with computer generated chart symbols, bearings and names etc.

This sounds great. So when you know which way your phone/ tablet/ cameras pointing you can identify what you are looking at from the chart plotter/ map database marks etc. Sort of like a Radar or AIS physical sensed images overlay on a digitally generated Chart plotter screen.

I guess it's one of the next iteration of electronic navigation aids we can look forward to, to help us in the future.

From what I can see it looks quite new and developmental, firstly for the commercial end of the market. I'm sure some of you guys out there know how this stuff is developing for the recreational cruising end of the market.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men