Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 23:33   #46

Re: AvNav - navigation in the browser

If you would like to try the correction:
A daily build is out:
https://www.wellenvogel.net/software...ugin/20210504/
Still a daily - so chances that something does not work correctly.
wellenvogel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 15:42   #47
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellenvogel02 View Post
Currently there is no way of setting an arbitrary mark. You can just set a target for simple waypoint routing or create a route.
But maybe this is a nice idea (until now no one was asking for...).
Could you create a GitHub issue for that - just also describing what you would like to have (options for icons, features,...)?
Will do. I'm sailing at the moment so very little access to the net. I'm using Avnav exclusively on this trip.

The other tool that I have noticed that I really miss is the divider or measure tool that most plotters have. Something that allows yo to take a simple measurement from on arbitrary point to the next with a readout of distance and bearing.

I'll try to get more involved with the project including, I hope, some scripting after this trip.

Cheers Chris.

It's been an awesome tool so far and my partner loves it and finds it very intuitive.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 21:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The other tool that I have noticed that I really miss is the divider or measure tool that most plotters have. Something that allows yo to take a simple measurement from on arbitrary point to the next with a readout of distance and bearing.
There is one measure option that you can use:
The CenterDisplayWidget will give you bearing and distance from the boat to map center and from the current target waypoint to map center.
So by setting the waypoint and moving the map center to the other point you get the measure.
To get measures from boat to somewhere just move the map center to the point.

Another option would be to create a route - the left panel in the editor will give you distance and bearing from point to point.

But once we get the option for setting a marker we could easily get more....
Old 09-05-2021, 01:12   #49
Moo

Quote:
There is one measure option that you can use:
The CenterDisplayWidget will give you bearing and distance from the boat to map center and from the current target waypoint to map center.
So by setting the waypoint and moving the map center to the other point you get the measure.
To get measures from boat to somewhere just move the map center to the point.

Another option would be to create a route - the left panel in the editor will give you distance and bearing from point to point.

But once we get the option for setting a marker we could easily get more....
Yes I have found and been using those methods but it's not convenient when following a route.

Ideally I'd like to be able to leave some of the measures persistent for the session.. something like:

Activate the divider icon, place one or more bearing, range, measurements and leave them there until the divider icon was deactivated. I would not expect them to persist through to the next divider activation.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:35   #50

Sounds good...
Maybe a candidate for the next Github issue?!
Old 09-05-2021, 14:23   #51
Moo

Yes.. just commenting here when I have a connection. Thought my comments might be a topic for discussion.

Another point of inconvenience/safety is that ais info is unavailable when in route mode.
Old 09-05-2021, 23:44   #52

Quote:
Another point of inconvenience/safety is that ais info is unavailable when in route mode.
Not sure what you mean. If you are EDITING a route there is no AIS display. It would simply fill up the map display making it hard to set or change your route points.
But when you are done with editing the AIS display is back.
From my experience editing is either done before you start or on the way for a short time interval...
At the end you could use a second display ( like your mobile) to do the route editing while keeping the normal nav view on your main display.
I do this frequently - editing the route with a tablet at my nav desk keeping the outside one in notmal nav display mode for the helmsman.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:18   #53

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

While we're at discussing possible updates... :-)

I think that the current UI to create/edit routes works extremely well on touch displays that you take into your hand, i.e. on a tablet or phone.

When I am on a desktop PC with a mouse or touchpad, then it feels a bit clumsy to always center the map to add something, when I intuitively just want to click with the mouse-pointer where I want to add the next waypoint.

I fear that this UI logic is pretty deeply ingrained, but I haven't had a closer look at the source code yet, to check how much work it would be to try to prepare a patch for a pull-request.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
While we're at discussing possible updates... :-)
When I am on a desktop PC with a mouse or touchpad, then it feels a bit clumsy to always center the map to add something, when I intuitively just want to click with the mouse-pointer where I want to add the next waypoint.
I agree.
But you can add the route point with 2 clicks without moving the map:
1. somewhere on the map gives you the feature info pop up
2. if you are in route edit mode you have before/after/center in the feature info to add or move a route point
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-10_18-25-54.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	238062
Old 10-05-2021, 16:17   #55
Moo

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. If you are EDITING a route there is no AIS display. It would simply fill up the map display making it hard to set or change your route points.
But when you are done with editing the AIS display is back.
From my experience editing is either done before you start or on the way for a short time interval...
At the end you could use a second display ( like your mobile) to do the route editing while keeping the normal nav view on your main display.
I do this frequently - editing the route with a tablet at my nav desk keeping the outside one in notmal nav display mode for the helmsman.
I mean that when a route is active the AIS target information doesn't seem to work. Clicking on an AIS target doesn't result in it's info poping up.

While we are on this subject. Could AIS info be displayed in a popup rather than using the full chart window?

When navigating I usually have a route active all the time. This could be when day sailing such as now or could be for weeks crossing an ocean.
Old 10-05-2021, 16:20   #56
Moo

Quote:
I agree.
But you can add the route point with 2 clicks without moving the map:
1. somewhere on the map gives you the feature info pop up
2. if you are in route edit mode you have before/after/center in the feature info to add or move a route point
Attachment 238062
That's something I hadn't picked up on.

Bouncing around in a draughty anchorage here at the moment , outside the bay the channel is smoking do 40+ knots.. not going anywhere. I'm going to play with this new found tool now
Old 11-05-2021, 04:35   #57

Quote:
I mean that when a route is active the AIS target information doesn't seem to work. Clicking on an AIS target doesn't result in it's info poping up.

While we are on this subject. Could AIS info be displayed in a popup rather than using the full chart window?
For the first one:
This would be a bug. But I cannot reproduce this at all. Once AIS targets are shown I can click on them as usual to get the information.
What kind of browser are you using? There has been a bug some time ago that you immediately go back from the AIS info display on some browsers (especially IOS) - but the latest versions should not have it any more.

For the PopUp:
What would you expect here?
A modal dialog (like the others) would not really help I guess.
I tried to be as "touch friendly" as possible.
One touch for the complete info, one more touch to get back.
Even no need to move your finger...
Old 11-05-2021, 14:58   #58
Moo

I think the AIS info none popup is my error. It doesn't work in route editing mode but does work when a route is active but not being edited. I'm still struggling with the UI in terms of when a route is displayed, visible, active, when it's in a layer or not etc., etc.. think I'm getting there now.

As for the pop up. I see what you mean regarding touch. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-05-2021, 16:09   #59
Moo

Ok another question.

I have permits for s63 charts, the free ones from LINZ, the permits are obtained via o-charts.

Is there any reason I can't use these charts with AVNav? What is the install procedure?

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-05-2021, 23:48   #60

the s63 charts are of a different type than oesenc. The latter is supported, the s63 is not. To support this, rad should be redone (port s63 stuff from opencpn).
BlackSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation