Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 22:31   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Avoid Santa Marta?

I'm planning to sail from Dominican Republic to Cartagena in May. I thought about stopping in Santa Marta before Cartagena, but I've heard that the Magdalena River dumps so much debris into the Caribbean between Santa Marta and Cartagena that I should avoid sailing through it and sail directly to Cartagena instead. Any advice?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:44   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Avoid Santa Marta?

Lots of boats coming from the ABCs head for the marina in Santa Marta. Note that you'll need to pay an agent to clear in at each port, so if you stop at Santa Marta and Cartegena you'll pay twice. Some cruisers stay in Santa Marta and take tbrushes bus to Cartegena to play tourist. We went direct to Cartegena. The old town.is great.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I, and many others I know, have crossed the Magdelena without incident. I dont personally know of anyone having any problems there, though there is certainly potential. Two schools of thought on crossing the Magdelana...go way offshore to avoid most of the debri, or run close inshore to get across the debri field quicker. Both work.

Either way, I would time your transit to cross the Magdelana outflow during day light. Coming from Santa Marta this can be done by stopping in behind Cabo de Vela for a while.

Santa Marta is a pleasant stop, but if I had to chose one it would be Cartagena...way cool.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:35   #4

Paul and BelizeSailor, thanks for your input. Cartagena is a must for me, and Santa Marta is a maybe. I'm not fond of the hassle of checking in and paying a sizable fee twice is not good either. Given that it will be getting into the rainy season by the time I get there, skipping Santa Marta and moving on to the San Blas is looking like a better option.
Old 05-04-2018, 14:08   #5

If you plan to spend the rainy season in the San Blas be prepared for excessive lightning. Lots of boats get hit.
Old 05-04-2018, 14:11   #6

I'm planning to leave the boat in Bocas del Toro. I know the humidity is high there. Is it bad for lightning strikes?
Old 05-04-2018, 14:12   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

lightning would be a game changer for me. Can you moor between two larger boats and play the middle man ? Smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 14:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
I'm planning to leave the boat in Bocas del Toro. I know the humidity is high there. Is it bad for lightning strikes?
I haven't spent any time in Bocas. Spent summer in both the San Blas and in Panama City. Both are pretty brutal on lightning in the rainy season with the Carib side being a little worse.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 15:28   #9

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

I’ve summered in Bocas Del Toro at Red Frog Marina and surrounding anchorages. Lightning is a 5 day/ week deal. We got hit, losing our just our anemometer, so not bad, but we had a friend’s boat that got fried up pretty good. Coming from San Blas to Bocas Del Toro, you MUST stop at Escudo de Veraguas, about 35nm east of BDT. It is basically deserted island with spectacular rock formations, comparable only to the BVI Baths yet very different in nature and empty.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 15:35   #10

Thanks for the tip, 4 Coconuts! I looked it up and it looks beautiful.
Old 05-04-2018, 15:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
I’ve summered in Bocas Del Toro at Red Frog Marina and surrounding anchorages. Lightning is a 5 day/ week deal. We got hit, losing our just our anemometer, so not bad, but we had a friend’s boat that got fried up pretty good. .....
It's nice that they give you the weekend's off from lightning up there.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 15:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you plan to spend the rainy season in the San Blas be prepared for excessive lightning. Lots of boats get hit.
Second that. We are in the San Blas now and have cruised here during winter-spring months for several seasons. Gorgeous place, but when the first big bolts hit signalling the start of rainy season...we are outta here! Some stay year round, but would not be my choice.
Old 05-04-2018, 16:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Re humidity...its high anywhere on the Panama Carib coast...especially in rainy season. A dehumidifier and/or regular cleaning and ventilation is a good idea.

Ive stowed my boat in Bocas and in Linton. Climate is essenstially the same.

One important difference in W vs E Carib coasts of Panama (Bocas and San Blas respectively) is that the trade winds fill in seasonally in E Panama (starting at about Colon thru the San Blas) from about Dec-Jan thru about May-June. However, they dont fill in at all in W Panama...winds are light and variable most of the time.

I had my boat in Bocas for 2 seasons...set sails once...just to check them out.

By contrast, Ive had some great sails in E Panama!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:24   #14

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Good one Paul..Another tip about Bocas del Toro, if you were going to leave your boat for a Time. We left our boat at Red Frog Marina for about a month to travel back to New England. We made sure to have it washed every 10 days and left dehumidifier on inside. Even with all that when we came back we found a little plant growing in a seam in the fiberglass and mold on the sales and sail bags. One day it rained so hard that in a span of maybe 5 hours I had to bail the dinghy twice because it was virtually underwater.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03   #15

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Dr. Sea.....just some factual reporting...we just left Colombia and are in Panama.....
Santa marta marina checks you in without charge if you berth there...they handle everything and you may email them for details. The marina is not cheap...$1100 USD per month for our 52’ monohull, but is very secure. You CANNOT anchor anywhere in Santa Marta or Tanganga. Several significant robberies and attacks there in the last three years.
Cartagena is lovely and a must do, but the harbor is the pits. We were there during the windy winter season, but boats were dragging every night. The harbor is also filthy and filled with debree. The marina options are not good...
So either alternative has positive and negative points... choose your poison....
Colombia was lovely, we traveled around for two months and met wonderful people but the crime factor and the guerilla action is significant. On the other hand, downtown Colon does not feel much better... be safe!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote