Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 12:25   #1

B&G Zeus3 Heading Extension Line disappeared

B&G Zeus3 with Precision 9 Compass: I had the Heading Extension Line set to project 30 minutes out. Worked well for a little over 2 years, then inexplicably disappeared while sailing recently.
I checked systems settings>chart options>extension lines ON. Toggled on/off, selected different time values, turned the Zeus3 off, called Navico Tech support and followed their recommendation to calibrate the Precision 9 compass, which I did. Still no Heading Extension line. Did a “soft” reset of the unit as advised by tech support. Nothing. He recommended to send the unit in, but I’m hesitant since heading information and Navigation does not seem to be compromised at all. All sensors, CPU’s and autopilot are B&G as well.
Does anyone have any idea what would fix this issue?
grlasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 19:54   #2

Re: B&G Zeus3 Heading Extension Line disappeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlasa View Post
B&G Zeus3 with Precision 9 Compass: I had the Heading Extension Line set to project 30 minutes out. Worked well for a little over 2 years, then inexplicably disappeared while sailing recently.
I checked systems settings>chart options>extension lines ON. Toggled on/off, selected different time values, turned the Zeus3 off, called Navico Tech support and followed their recommendation to calibrate the Precision 9 compass, which I did. Still no Heading Extension line. Did a “soft” reset of the unit as advised by tech support. Nothing. He recommended to send the unit in, but I’m hesitant since heading information and Navigation does not seem to be compromised at all. All sensors, CPU’s and autopilot are B&G as well.
Does anyone have any idea what would fix this issue?
This is almost surely NOT a hardware issue with the MFD.

On thing you have not mentioned: is your water speed sender working? The usual set up is the the heading extension line is heading & STW and the other extension is SOG & COG. If STW is missing or erroneously zero, then the heading extension will have zero length, and be invisible.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 07:01   #3

Thank you, Bill. I’m relieved to hear what you said, because the boat/water speed sensor has indeed indicated zero the last few times, as it seems to happen quite regularly this time of year due to weed etc.
I assumed the heading extension line was calculated off GPS. I’ll try clearing the wheel or I might have to wait to spring, but thanks again!
Old 16-09-2021, 18:20   #4

I went in the water to clear the speed wheel, Boat speed shows again and Heading Extension line is back as well.👍
Old 22-09-2021, 12:00   #5

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlasa View Post
I went in the water to clear the speed wheel, Boat speed shows again and Heading Extension line is back as well.👍
My boat speed sender (also B&G) stops working due to growth if it's been more than 2 weeks since I last moved the boat. I've taken to pulling the sensor and putting the blanking plug in whenever I know that it'll be a while until I venture out again. The flap in the sensor tube stops most of the water from rushing in, and I can now do the swap in less than 2 seconds of having the tube open, letting maybe a cup or two of water into the bilge.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head