Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 13:48   #1

Bahamas Cruising

I'm looking for any tips, as the wife and I are about to begin our journey to our next adventure. We have the fortunate opportunity to begin a trip that will ultimately end at our next chapter of life in Long Island, Bahamas. We have no "true" time window to follow, so our plans are very open. This is what we have planned out so far;

Key Biscayne to Bimini
Bimini to Frazer's Hog Cay
Frazer's Hog Cay to West Bay
West Bay to Coral Harbour

The wife is charting out our entire run from north to south Exuma and then we will cross over to Thompson Bay where we will pull up to our next chapter.

Where would you recommend outside of where we have already planned?
Nassau Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 14:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Bahamas Cruising

There are so many people that cross over to the B'mas via Bimini, that you are bound to hook up with someone.
The B'mas are quite simple to navigate. Eyeball navigation can get you most anywhere as one island is not very far from the next. After a coupla weeks it will all be old hat to you.
I've sailed there countless times.
Most people tend to go there during the winter season, so as to avoid hurricanes. But typically, thru' July, you will probably be okay. After that, it's a throw of the dice.
There are many excellent cruising guides to the entire chain of the B'mas put together by Steve Pavladis, easy to find in any marine store or online. It's really all you need, as it will have descriptions, compass courses, lat/lon positions, water depths, etc, pretty much everything you'll need.

The Exuma's are many people's favorite spot, but any place in the B'mas is going to nice. Once you're there you'll get tons of advise from other sailors as to where to go.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:17   #3

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Hi, I left Florida 2 months ago and an in Eleuthera right now. Count on things being 2 to 5 times more expensive here. I provisioned very well before coming here. Most prices are reasonable but a pair of swimming fins that go for $60 in the USA are over $300 here. Boat supplies are not very av available. Even i the larger cities.There is a lack of ATM machines through the country. You will usually have to pay for water. With that said I am so overjoyed at how beautiful the water, country and people are. will leave for Panama before hurricane season and come back for another six months before heading through the Panama Canal. The Berrie islands and to an extent the Eleuthera islands are off the beaten path. This is a very special place and I hope you enjoy your trip. I really can't see how you couldn't. fair winds!!!
Capt D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:28   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com

The last few trips we have skipped Bimini and checked in at Morgan's Bluff.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 16:42   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Ricky View Post
I'm looking for any tips, as the wife and I are about to begin our journey to our next adventure. We have the fortunate opportunity to begin a trip that will ultimately end at our next chapter of life in Long Island, Bahamas. We have no "true" time window to follow, so our plans are very open. This is what we have planned out so far;

Key Biscayne to Bimini

Bimini to Frazer's Hog Cay

Frazer's Hog Cay to West Bay

West Bay to Coral Harbour

The wife is charting out our entire run from north to south Exuma and then we will cross over to Thompson Bay where we will pull up to our next chapter.

Where would you recommend outside of where we have already planned?

We did exactly that a couple months ago. Andros is an interesting option, but its a long first leg
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 18:48   #6

Boat: Stamas 44

Having just made the trip described except Frazer's to Rose Island To Highbourne, I am now in Georgetown after 30 days in the Bahamas. We were in South Bimini for a week waiting on weather. Our next stop will be Long Island - Calabash Bay.

Spend more time in Exuma Land and Sea Park. We stopped in Shroud Cay and Wardarick Wells. We skipped the south end to get to cell access and services. Cambridge Cay, Obrien Cay need time and the mangroves on Frazer's Hog Cay are not to be missed. Drift out and see lots of turtles and sharks.

The Waterway Guide is a help. Our "Armada" likes Aqua Maps with the Explorer Charts.
Old 25-04-2022, 00:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ricky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising