Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 08:53   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Bahamas in early spring.

Well we've done it. We've blown through what was already a tight budget. We are going to have to stop and work in florida for three months before heading to the Bahamas. What is the weather like over there in April? What are some considerations we should take for going over there in the spring vs winter? I figure we will spend a month to six weeks over there and then jump into the Gulf Stream and head north towards a cheap DIY yard in Northern Florida where we can get hauled for the hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-11-2014, 09:27   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Bahamas in early spring.

We left Green Turtle on April 1 this year. The weather was good then. Still might see a cold front if in Abaco. Overall, much more settled weather than winter, and quite a few boats still there.

Our first time over was May-June last year. As it gets later, much fewer boats and will have many anchorages to yourself, or with few neighbors. The down side is that thunderstorm activity increases, just like in Florida. Have good ground tackle! Other than T-storms, it's perfect in the spring and early summer.

Once back in the U.S. you can leave your boat at Brunswick Landing Marina in Georgia, if you don't want to haul out. It's pretty reasonable, and considered a hurricane hole (evidenced by the number of boats there). We spent last hurricane season there.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:39   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Awesome thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-11-2014, 09:56   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It gets better later in the season. We stay till late May. Not as many boats and of course there's the Family Island Regatta in GT. You have to stay for that. The whole town is transformed with folks coming from all the other islands. For hauling the cheapest yard in north FL is Green Cove Springs.

Family Island Regatta

Old 18-11-2014, 10:09   #5

Yes... mo debbley stay for the IFR.
From about April on the jellyfish are more prevalent in Bahamian waters. Mostly those little "thimbles"... which may make you itch just a little bit... not much. Other than that, watch out for the Man of War's floating along. You might take some diving thin skins with you for snorkeling etc. At least the water is nice and warm!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:35   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

From April 15th to June 15th is ,in my opinion, the most perfect weather and sailing conditions in the Bahamas. And, most of the herd leaves after Easter. Good luck and good sailing.

Tags
Bahamas