Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2024, 13:55   #31

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Best Free Android Charting Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
...As is the case in the post I just referenced, the data is there but needs to be read...
Yes, there's a lot there which isn't obvious at first.

But there's also a lot missing. I can assure you I've found hundreds of place names, plus the afore-mentioned shoreside structures, which are nowhere to be found on the vector charts, no matter how far down you dig.

My beef is this: I'm cruising in unfamiliar waters and come upon (or have) an emergency. I key the mic and issue the pan pan or mayday. I give Lat/Long coordinates, but I also want to include a geographic reference, like "About 5 miles East of Bumpkin Point."

Nope. Nothing. The shoreline is there, but no names. This is true even for some busier ports, major rivers and prominent features.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 15:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

But there's also a lot missing. I can assure you I've found hundreds of place names, plus the afore-mentioned shoreside structures, which are nowhere to be found on the vector charts, no matter how far down you dig.

My beef is this: I'm cruising in unfamiliar waters and come upon (or have) an emergency. I key the mic and issue the pan pan or mayday. I give Lat/Long coordinates, but I also want to include a geographic reference, like "About 5 miles East of Bumpkin Point."

Nope. Nothing. The shoreline is there, but no names. This is true even for some busier ports, major rivers and prominent features.
I've been in nothing but unfamiliar waters for almost 3000 nms of coastal cruising from California to the Guatemala border. Frankly, your complaints sound a bit entitled in the grand scheme of things. There is so much more information on ENCs than ever before but you're struggling to adapt. I'm sure you're not alone Captain.

I understand there is a learning curve to ENCs. Maybe you missed the memo 20+ years ago that this was the direction NOAA was going. Try Google Maps for geographic references. Or maybe Bing or Waze.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 18:12   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I clicked all over the place on the channel to see if there was depth information but couldn't find any. Where are you supposed to click on a channel to get the relevant info? Sure, there may be wonderful info lurking somewhere on ENCs, but I want the chart to show me what I need to know without searching for it.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:28   #34
IOM

Quote:

I am still a bit old school, and like my paper charts, but can see the need and benefits of migrating to ENC.

Recently I purchased the local ENC charts, produced by the same people who produce the paper charts I have, and as you correctly say, there is a LOT of information left out. Yes I have tried every setting, and emailed the hydrographic office who produce them. The result is they have left out a lot of text in the ENC to the paper. Is it important for navigation? Absolutely Not. It is only for information and interest. But it is important to me.

So in answer to the Topic. While not free on android (it is free on all PC based systems) OpenCPN in my opinion trumps the rest, followed closely by QTVLM (far from cheap on android and free on PC)

OpenCPN's best feature is that I'm not locked to one chart set and dependent on the software suppliers for updates.

I have the option of various charting options from different sources,
Raster charts,
ENC's from various sources not just the one supplier ,
Google earth views (which can include a lot more informative text and landmarks than on any charts Ive seen)
And the cherry on top is the freedom to make my own charts from other sources.

The net result is I now have the benefit of ENC and Paper and more all in one small easy to use (my opinion) package .

I can use it on the android micro screens I unfortunately need , but despise, as well as on my 40" PC screen where the information is about the size of a paper chart to plan on.

I can do my planning and routing on my PC and send that info to the same software on my tablet or phone, including all Marks and areas to stay within or avoid that I highlighted in my planning
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 03:57   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
In the TZ Map properties, there's also some additional map data, in this case citing "two-way" traffic in the "dredged area" and a 9.5 ft controlling depth... as of source date 01/24/24.

In the pics Kettlewell posted, the raster example cites a 2018 date. (Same raster charts I have for the area, newest available) The TZ Map vector version I reviewed yesterday cites a 2024 date in the pop-up "chart properties" box.

I suspect that means the raster chart -- assuming that's the most recent (and it is at least the most recent annual update available from NOAA) -- just hasn't been updated since sometime between 2018 and 2024. Pretty much what NOAA told everyone to expect...

-Chris
Old 07-05-2024, 04:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
In the pics Kettlewell posted, the raster example cites a 2018 date. (Same raster charts I have for the area, newest available) The TZ Map vector version I reviewed yesterday cites a 2024 date in the pop-up "chart properties" box.

I suspect that means the raster chart -- assuming that's the most recent (and it is at least the most recent annual update available from NOAA) -- just hasn't been updated since sometime between 2018 and 2024. Pretty much what NOAA told everyone to expect...

-Chris
That's exactly how it's supposed to work - the hatching on the subject area indicates it's a dredged channel. According to Chart #1, the date of last dredging is embedded in the underlying data (see attached screenshot). Kettlewells example of a channel with 5-ft depth (2018) plus this update from Ranger58 is a great example of why ENCs are so powerful - it tells you it hasn't been dredged for 6-years, something the raster cannot. The chance of a dredged shallow channel maintaining a 6 year old control depth is pretty low.

Whether the software can summon the data is another matter. Of course, the user needs to be educated on capabilities too and be able to pull the data. But the underlying data should be there.

For those who have not looked at Chart #1 in years, it's been updated to correspond to ENC data. Using raster mindset in the digital world means you'll miss a ton of important information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240506_133530_Word.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	289612  
Old 07-05-2024, 04:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM View Post
I am still a bit old school, and like my paper charts, but can see the need and benefits of migrating to ENC...
Exactly. It's irrelevant whether or not I personally "like" the new format. It's the new format. It's what current charts are using. I need current charts, so it's what I'm using. That ship has sailed.

One can sing the praises of vector charts, or complain about them, but either way we need to be aware of both their benefits and their limitations.

For example, nowadays I can usually get a pretty good cell signal in coastal waters, so I often leave a "maps" app open on my phone in unfamiliar waters. This overcomes the limitation of place names no longer being available on my chartplotter.

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a downgrade from having them right there on the primary helm display, but again, that's today's reality. It's up to us as navigators to find and use the best information available.
Old 07-05-2024, 05:35   #38

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
That's exactly how it's supposed to work - the hatching on the subject area indicates it's a dredged channel. According to Chart #1, the date of last dredging is embedded in the underlying data (see attached screenshot). Kettlewells example of a channel with 5-ft depth (2018) plus this update from Ranger58 is a great example of why ENCs are so powerful - it tells you it hasn't been dredged for 6-years, something the raster cannot. The chance of a dredged shallow channel maintaining a 6 year old control depth is pretty low.

Or... maybe it HAS been dredged, to 9.5' sometime between 2018 and 2024 (or perhaps the entry means IN 2024), and that only appears on the newest vector chart.

??

I'm a bit caught in the middle since I'm using MapMedia renderings... and the older "MM3D" vector charts doesn't show the 2024 info... while the newer "TZ Map" vector chart does...

I can check source data for each more closely, but I don't have TZ v5 installed on both computers yet... so it's a bit more cumbersome than it would normally be to capture all that for review and sharing and so forth...

-Chris
Old 07-05-2024, 06:07   #39

Quote:
Exactly. It's irrelevant whether or not I personally "like" the new format. It's the new format. It's what current charts are using. I need current charts, so it's what I'm using. That ship has sailed.

One can sing the praises of vector charts, or complain about them, but either way we need to be aware of both their benefits and their limitations.

For example, nowadays I can usually get a pretty good cell signal in coastal waters, so I often leave a "maps" app open on my phone in unfamiliar waters. This overcomes the limitation of place names no longer being available on my chartplotter.

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a downgrade from having them right there on the primary helm display, but again, that's today's reality. It's up to us as navigators to find and use the best information available.
Not being able to access the data is much different than saying the data isn't there because it was never digitized in the first place. There are several reasons the data may not be accessible - data hasn't been updated, software/hardware cannot display it, or operator ignorance all come to mind.

My primary charting program is Coastal Explorer, secondary is OpenCPN. If OpenCPN were less frustrating for me, I'd gladly make it my primary as it does have some powerful attributes but for me, it's buggy and it's a fur ball of data without much intuition or priority applied which is why I do not recommend it. For $400, a professionally developed software package such as Coastal Explorer is much more approachable to most users. And charts update regularly - I see about 500 updates weekly, presumably minor updates like depths or buoy moves.

I don't mean to belittle $400, but it's a small price to pay for top quality navigation capabilities. Sure there's free stuff and relatively inexpensive stuff out there, but given the importance of accurate navigation data, going the cheap route can be pretty dang expensive. I know of two boats in the last 3 months who went aground hard in Central America due to poor charting data. One of the boats was ultimately lost as the repairs would exceed the value of the boat. The other one probably has $5k in repairs coming. I'm sure they'd gladly pay a premium for the best data available.
Old 07-05-2024, 18:06   #40

Quote:
Not being able to access the data is much different than saying the data isn't there because it was never digitized in the first place...
Correct. I totally understand there's a learning curve, both for the user and for those developing the software.

Still, the simple fact remains that there is a lot of data which simply isn't there. I can speculate why, but that's only guesswork on my part. Just as anyone who doesn't know me, claiming the data is there and I am not clever enough to find it, is pure speculation.
Old 10-05-2024, 07:25   #41

Argo is a nice app.
Free, or $20/yr with premium features, such as ability to download charts and use it off-line. Well worth the small price.
altinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 07:57   #42

Boat: beneteau First 26 QR (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.sailgrib_wr

Very very good Android package. Has a free version and a paid version. Definitely worth its money.

Can read free MBtile charts made in SASplanet.
Can integrate Navionics and some other type.

If you want to use also CM93 on an Android tablet, OpenCPN is your friend.

I use SailGrib WR with the Geogarage maps now, instead of Navionics; that's raster maps from the international hydrographic offices. Definitely love it.
BuenaOnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 05:29   #43

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

MxMariner is Android, totally free, and offers low res Raster Charts offline (downloaded to your device), Satellite View (on line real time) and Road View (on line real time). Directions for use simple, downloadable, easy to understand
A good backup system. Uses your phone battery, needs adequate storage for the charts. MxTides also very good and free.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 05:38   #44

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I see this notice on the MX Mariner website, and I can't locate the app in the Google Play Store on my phone. https://www.mxmariner.com/news

Quote:
Future of NOAA Charts and the future of MX Mariner
NOAA announced the sunset of their raster chart products and adoption of ENCs (Vector Electronic Navigation Charts / S57). MX Mariner has also been working on a new ENC chart display technology called Njord (more below on this).

Consequently, I've decided to temporarily stop distributing MX Mariner to new users. Existing MX Mariner users can still access the MX Mariner listing on Google Play. Note that you will need to be logged into your Google account that downloaded MX Mariner in order to view this.

Rest assured there will be another release of MX Mariner featuring support for ENC vector charts. However, there is not hard timeline. MX Mariner has always been a fun hobby project of mine and it is also software that I use sailing my own boat SV Waymaker.
Old 11-05-2024, 05:50   #45

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I downloaded MxMariner about 10 years ago so it still functions fir me. Too bad you can access it only if you already have the legacy version installed.

The Charts detail isn't great but the Satellite View is very high tes and fairly up to date. I can see my Sunfish on the beach where I hauled it out last Wednesday, and can just make out my mooring ball.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software