Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2022, 05:11   #136
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

It’s C-Map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3223D510-509D-49B4-8C92-CBFD725AF0D4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	260361  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:30   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s C-Map.
Thanks. So... I'm not very impressed with C-Map then, at least not for my area. They are considerably less detailed, and apparently older, compared to those offered by Navionics.

I really doubt Navionics is spending money doing their own soundings and charting of places like Harbour Round (or dozens of similar examples). And it's not crowd-sourced data -- there isn't much of a crowd up here . So surely they must be sourcing their data from Canadian gvt (CHS).

It really looks like TZ (and I guess C-Map) is using data from the large area charts, and not including the more fine-grained detail of the smaller coastal charts. IOW, seems to be a scale issue. Since CHS charges for charts, this probably makes financial sense.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:38   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks. So... I'm not very impressed with C-Map then, at least not for my area. They are considerably less detailed, and apparently older, compared to those offered by Navionics.

I really doubt Navionics is spending money doing their own soundings and charting of places like Harbour Round (or dozens of similar examples). And it's not crowd-sourced data -- there isn't much of a crowd up here . So surely they must be sourcing their data from Canadian gvt (CHS).

It really looks like TZ (and I guess C-Map) is using data from the large area charts, and not including the more fine-grained detail of the smaller coastal charts. IOW, seems to be a scale issue. Since CHS charges for charts, this probably makes financial sense.
Didn’t you write that you lost details when zooming in? That would suggest a chart error…

Old 01-07-2022, 08:52   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Didn’t you write that you lost details when zooming in? That would suggest a chart error…
Did not mean to say that. No detail, ever, on the areas I'm focusing on.

Just shows a very rough outline. No detail zoomed in or out. Navionics charts of the area zoom from little detail, to the full monty.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:58   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Did not mean to say that. No detail, ever, on the areas I'm focusing on.

Just shows a very rough outline. No detail zoomed in or out. Navionics charts of the area zoom from little detail, to the full monty.
Yes okay, this indicates the area hasn’t interested C-Map nor Transas enough to bother with it. Their primary business is commercial shipping.

I have kinda the same thing in the San Blas in Panama. It’s a little better though, but ither charts have more detail.

In a place like the Bahamas it’s the other way around, with Navionics having chart errors and both C-Map (which uses Explorer charts for that area) and Transas doing very well.

This is why I like to have multiple sources. For the Bahamas I use C-Map on my plotter and Transas on the iPad and all is good, while for Panama I also used Bauhaus charts on OpenCPN. You simply need all of them when world cruising.

Old 20-10-2023, 11:52   #141

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
Angry Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

Well,
I had TZ on a a ipad that was a few years ago.
I bought most of the chart packages and add on functions.
Needed to replace ipad, and am more than a little miffed to see that nothing from TZ is supported anymore.
I have to pay twice?

Does anyone know a way around this? I can't even find the app on istore anymore, just the new TZ iboat app.
Old 20-10-2023, 12:18   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavw View Post
Well,
I had TZ on a a ipad that was a few years ago.
I bought most of the chart packages and add on functions.
Needed to replace ipad, and am more than a little miffed to see that nothing from TZ is supported anymore.
I have to pay twice?

Does anyone know a way around this? I can't even find the app on istore anymore, just the new TZ iboat app.
Have you tried contacting TZ?
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 12:19   #143

Quote:
I'm going to update my iPad navigation software. It's used as a backup to my primary Garmin chartplotters.

And yes, I know... it's been discussed a lot. Please don't tell me to search. Given that they keep changing, I'm interested in hearing what apps people are using now.

For reference, I've had iNavx for years. I might renew with them, but I'm not fully satisfied with this app.
I’ve used Navionics for years.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 12:59   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I’ve used Navionics for years.
This is a somewhat old thread. I did decide to go with Navionics back in 2022, and I've now had two successful seasons with it. I like it fine.

Note, I still have TZ Boat app as well, because I like the way they do weather, plus the fact that you can download forecasts for up to two weeks. I do like the way they present their charts, but sadly they still suck for my area, and this after they promised to address the problem .

I doubt if I'll carry on with my TZ subscription when it comes time to renew.
Old 20-10-2023, 13:06   #145

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Opencpn on a Raspberry Pi using screen sharing to a iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 4 with standard integrated anti glare laminated screen on the iPad Air 2.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 06:17   #146

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

I use in parallel:
Navionics app with their charts
Isailor app with transeat charts running ap too if needed.
Orca core, orca app with orca charts, ap and radar integration.
All have their pros and cons depending on area where you are.
I use orca as leading system in general as its GUI is superior to the other 2 and planing is the best but run the route planning on all 3 and decide then which is the leading system for this leg due to my needs.
Also a raymarine axiom 7+ with navionics sd card is installed but thats backup.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 12:32   #147

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Any new opinions since October?
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 12:49   #148

Nothing new from my end, but after all my back&forthing I’ve now bought into AquaMaps. The charts aren’t quite as detailed as Navionics — in my area — but Garmin really pissed me off with their massive price increase AND the shift to complete chart rentals. If you buy into the new subscription model, you MUST maintain an active subscription, or you loose access to your charts — even the ones you’ve previously downloaded on your device.

For less than the price Garmin (Navionics) wants annually, I bought the same chart coverage from AquaMaps, along with the promise of perpetual updates. One-time payment, no annual subscription needed.

There are things I dislike with AquaMaps, such as the fact that you can only get the satellite overlay when in range of cell-data/wifi. I would like to have the option to download the satellite images onto my device, like Navionics allows.

Plus, I do miss the Navionics auto-routing function. I would love to see that capability come to AquaMaps.

But mostly, I like AquaMaps, and I really appreciate their customer service, unlike Garmin/Navionics, which simply sucks.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 13:10   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

Welcome to AquaMaps!!!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 09:31   #150

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Nothing new from my end, but after all my back&forthing I’ve now bought into AquaMaps.

There are things I dislike with AquaMaps, such as the fact that you can only get the satellite overlay when in range of cell-data/wifi. I would like to have the option to download the satellite images onto my device, like Navionics allows.

Plus, I do miss the Navionics auto-routing function. I would love to see that capability come to AquaMaps.

But mostly, I like AquaMaps, and I really appreciate their customer service, unlike Garmin/Navionics, which simply sucks.
Mike, Just an FYI: TZiBoat added autorouting recently, and it tests out well with some of my trickier transits… [I only use autorouting for rough planning and proposed trip metrics.]

I, too, recently dropped all Navionics chart plotter and app subscriptions. [I am converting chart plotters to C-Map since they also include additional features including sat images…]

In my area TZiBoat matches or exceeds the other iThing OS nav apps for chart detail and accuracy. I also use Aquamap, but their charts are comparatively lacking up here so far- but they just added their version of ‘paper charts,’ which I haven’t had a chance to download yet, so stay tuned…

Cheers, Bill

Tags
Ipad, navigation