Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2024, 10:01   #151

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Mike, Just an FYI: TZiBoat added autorouting recently, and it tests out well with some of my trickier transits… [I only use autorouting for rough planning and proposed trip metrics.]

I, too, recently dropped all Navionics chart plotter and app subscriptions. [I am converting chart plotters to C-Map since they also include additional features including sat images…]

In my area TZiBoat matches or exceeds the other iThing OS nav apps for chart detail and accuracy. I also use Aquamap, but their charts are comparatively lacking up here so far- but they just added their version of ‘paper charts,’ which I haven’t had a chance to download yet, so stay tuned…

Cheers, Bill
Thanks Bill. I used TZBoat app for a while. I really like how they do their weather, especially how you can download a 10-day prediction for offline use. But their charts were simply lacking compared to Navionics. This was with their old chartset (now called MM3D Legacy in my app). Maybe the new offering is better, although I was less than impressed with the customer support.

Aquamaps has their “Paper chart overlay” option, which basically calls up raster charts. This is great in my area because a lot of the old raster charts are more detailed than the new vectors. However, Aquamaps latest update seems to have broken this function. I’ve just sent off a query. Hopefully they’ll fix it ASAP.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 14:41   #152

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

https://getorca.com/
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/orca-boot-gps-karten-routen/id1514423198

Try it out, you can use the app without the core.
Should get 10 or 30 days of trail full subscription to test it. With core you can fully integrate it into your NMEA network and can steer your autopilot (also old ones) right out of the box, plug and play.
Customer support is top notch.

Just need to check how your chart coverage is and if you are happy with the details in your area.
Some areas are great while other suck but they are continously work on it.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation