Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 19:53   #31

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm liking Aqua Maps, but is it true that one needs to maintain an active (annual) subscription, or your charts become unusable? If I let a chart subscription lapse, do I lose access to the charts I've already loaded on my iPad?

With iNavx, the subscription gave me access to updates, or to reload the charts. But when my subscriptions lapsed, I still retained the charts on my iPad. It appears this may NOT be the case with Aqua Maps.
Mike
Since I have never let my subscription to AquaMap lapse, so I can’t answer your question, but I would assume that the last update that you made would still remain on the AquaMap program if you let your subscription lapse. Anyway, I don’t remember how much the subscription is but I do remember that it’s not very expensive and I’m sure it’s not as expensive as Navionix
You can upgrade the charts at any time that you have an Internet connection with the touch of a button. Also, you can have as many or as few charts on your device as you wish. For the bass subscription I believe you get all of the US and Canada. There is, however, an additional charge for maps elsewhere in the world.
You can download a free trial for the US and Canada from the Apple app store.

Al, S/v Finlandia
Old 17-05-2022, 21:21   #32

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

Maybe it was our setup but Aquamaps crashed a lot when it was receiving AIS data from the WiFi server. We use Navionics on the one iPad and TZ iBoat on the other. Both are compatible with the WiFi server. See my post of of a setup with multiple iOS devices, AIS and Starlink.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...m_medium=email
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 03:00   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Mike
Since I have never let my subscription to AquaMap lapse, so I can’t answer your question, but I would assume that the last update that you made would still remain on the AquaMap program if you let your subscription lapse.
I asked the company, and got a prompt response:

Quote:
Hello, your charts will be erased by the device after the expiration date.
Best Regard
Enrico
So, don't let your subscription lapse, otherwise all your charts will go Pffftt.

To me, this is a serious negative. Too bad, because I really was leaning towards Aqua Maps.
Old 18-05-2022, 03:50   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
I use TimeZero with integrated Furuno WiFi Radar, Vespar AIS/WiFi and backbone. Puts all the sensors connected to the backbone in TimeZero and on my IPAD. It used the Vespar GPS and works great. I’ve only had it drop connections once or twice which is reconnected with cycling the WiFi option on the IPAD. I pay for the TimeZero charts annually. The AIS and radar overlay are one time purchases. I have ISailor as a back up. Both systems are viewable on both the IPAD and my IPhone (work phone). have I sailor on my android cellphone also.
Pay for charts annually? Is that something about the iThing version? The NOAA chart updates for the Windows version (and our Furuno MFD) are free...

Quote:
I'm liking Aqua Maps, but is it true that one needs to maintain an active (annual) subscription, or your charts become unusable? If I let a chart subscription lapse, do I lose access to the charts I've already loaded on my iPad?
I dunno, never checked... but the app is so cheap (in the grand scheme of things) that wouldn't matter much to me...

-Chris
Old 18-05-2022, 03:54   #35

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Mike,

I have exclusively used isailor for the last 10 years on my iPad which is on a RAM mount on the binnacle. I do not have any other chartplotter. It has been fantastic! When I go on charter I take it, as well. It has been my only electronic navigation and it has been stellar! I always have paper charts for all the regions I sail as backup.

As far as subscriptions go, when you originally download your charts they are yours forever. They will not be deleted. If you want the accurate updates, then you pay a $5.99 -10.99 fee for whatever area you want or some nominal charge like that and you will get the update. You are not forced to update nor will your charge be deleted. This has been my experience over the past 10 years. Warsilla, the company that owns isaler apparently makes the nav gear and software for commercial vessels as well as commercial airlines. I have found their charge to be super accurate, even in French polynesia. My usual cruising ground is the Chesapeake Bay and the East Coast of United states.

If in your cruising, you get to the chesapeake, let me know.

All the best,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 04:12   #36

Boat: Catalina 425

We use aqua maps and isailgps.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 04:16   #37

To me, having to pay constantly to maintain the charts on my iPad is a serious negative. I don't mind paying to download charts, but I have a serious dislike for this new model of never owning anything, and having to constantly pay rent.

Despite the hype, most charts don't change significantly from year to year, so the need for constant updates is mostly not (needed). I've sailed with electronic charts that are 10 years old, and paper charts that are many decades old, and have never yet come to harm.

I think this rental model removes Aqua Maps as a possibility for me. Too bad, because I really do like their platform. I guess I'll focus my attention on those that let me keep the charts I download, without having to constantly pay rent.
Old 18-05-2022, 04:25   #38

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I forgot to add, that if you go with isailor, you can also activate the tides on the app. It's a small fee, but it shows you that tide current and height in real time right on the chart and you can also activate the AIS which will populate AIS targets on the chart if you wish and if you have an AIS transceiver on your boat.

You can toggle these on and off the display with one touch of a finger. I don't have ais, but I find the tide information amazingly useful!

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 08:28   #39

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
To me, having to pay constantly to maintain the charts on my iPad is a serious negative. I don't mind paying to download charts, but I have a serious dislike for this new model of never owning anything, and having to constantly pay rent.

Despite the hype, most charts don't change significantly from year to year, so the need for constant updates is mostly not (needed). I've sailed with electronic charts that are 10 years old, and paper charts that are many decades old, and have never yet come to harm.

I think this rental model removes Aqua Maps as a possibility for me. Too bad, because I really do like their platform. I guess I'll focus my attention on those that let me keep the charts I download, without having to constantly pay rent.

Yes, the charts don't change much. The software is updated from time to time, though and I suspect that's what the "rent" is for.

-Chris
Old 18-05-2022, 08:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Pay for charts annually? Is that something about the iThing version? The NOAA chart updates for the Windows version (and our Furuno MFD) are free...

I dunno, never checked... but the app is so cheap (in the grand scheme of things) that wouldn't matter much to me...

-Chris
I should have said "for update service" but yea it's an annual cost of about $14 for each service. If you choose to not renew the annual cost then the existing charts stay the existing charts with no further updates. It's just like keeping and using your old paper charts. Small price to pay for updated charts automatically. The apps I mentioned are free to use. They make revenue through the sale of services and options. It's a privately owned company. The cost of your Furuno MFD covers the cost of the charting (same TimeZero company). TimeZero and Furuno are in a partnership that came about after the introduction of Furunos WIFI Radar I believe.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 08:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Mike,

I have exclusively used isailor for the last 10 years on my iPad which is on a RAM mount on the binnacle. I do not have any other chartplotter. It has been fantastic! When I go on charter I take it, as well. It has been my only electronic navigation and it has been stellar! I always have paper charts for all the regions I sail as backup.

As far as subscriptions go, when you originally download your charts they are yours forever. They will not be deleted. If you want the accurate updates, then you pay a $5.99 -10.99 fee for whatever area you want or some nominal charge like that and you will get the update. You are not forced to update nor will your charge be deleted. This has been my experience over the past 10 years. Warsilla, the company that owns isaler apparently makes the nav gear and software for commercial vessels as well as commercial airlines. I have found their charge to be super accurate, even in French polynesia. My usual cruising ground is the Chesapeake Bay and the East Coast of United states.

If in your cruising, you get to the chesapeake, let me know.

All the best,
Ben
my exact experience also. I may add that I prefer the ISailor charts over the TimeZero charts but ISailor doesn't not allow for radar overlay.
Old 18-05-2022, 08:55   #42
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:

I strongly agree with this. I would hope many more people would take this position and force vendors to stop this nonsense and allow folks to own what they bought. This "rent" model is an economic model that is finding it's way in to everything... sorry, rant over...

I use OpenCPN and Navionics. I'm slowly moving to only OpenCPN as I really like how it works. I do have Navionics on my cell phone and find that useful but I do have to pay an annual subscription for it. OpenCPN is free, the US based maps are free, including all updates. The Canadian maps can be purchased for a reasonable cost (in my opinion). I haven't bought them yet so don't have first hand knowledge of how they work nor updating aspects.

I can link all sorts of things to my OpenCPN. It's a really great software package!

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 09:14   #43

Quote:
Yes, the charts don't change much. The software is updated from time to time, though and I suspect that's what the "rent" is for.

-Chris
If that were the case, then the app should simply stop updating with the end of the subscription. That's common for software on all platforms (or you have to pay for updates). But in this case, the subscription applies to charts which run on the app. Aqua Maps removes charts without an active subscription. I don't like this approach.
Old 18-05-2022, 09:34   #44

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
That and increased profit, but also in most countries charts aren't free: part of your rent goes to pay royalties to the appropriate hydrographic office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I forgot to add, that if you go with isailor, you can also activate the tides on the app. It's a small fee, but it shows you that tide current and height in real time right on the chart and you can also activate the AIS which will populate AIS targets on the chart if you wish and if you have an AIS transceiver on your boat.
Apart from the "for a small fee" aspect (small fee for AIS, small fee for tides, small fee for...), iSailor would be higher up my list.

For display of tidal information it comes close to Navionics, which is not bad. In contrast, even though SEAiq has access to all the US and Canadian tide stations (and can download the data for offline use), it's not very pretty. I do like being able to pull from the weather buoys though.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 09:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
That and increased profit, but also in most countries charts aren't free: part of your rent goes to pay royalties to the appropriate hydrographic office.

Apart from the "for a small fee" aspect (small fee for AIS, small fee for tides, small fee for...), iSailor would be higher up my list.

curious if you would go through all of the R&D, marketing, and deployment of a privately (yours) owned product and offer it to the public for free with no profit? This is the free market at its finest. It's that or using a chart during a time when detail is critical and have an advertisement pop up over it. Your choice.

Tags
Ipad, navigation