Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 11:20   #16

Boat: Newport 30
SOB

SOB (Software On Board)
DigiBOAT

Seems to have all the bells and whistles and cost $50 AU,
but only uses C-MAP charts.
Haven't used it a lot, but like it so far.
Old 28-10-2008, 13:50   #17

Here is a good one to try. It's only $17 and includes the software plus ALL the maps for the entire US.

Go to eBay and put this number into the search box.

Old 28-10-2008, 14:04   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Jerry,

Seems sort of silly to pay for the free NOAA maps and a free copy of Seaclear plus the bonus stuff you can get free from NOAA. Perhpas if you didn't have a high speed Internet connection. All this and more can be had for free.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 14:11   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Jerry,

Seems sort of silly to pay for the free NOAA maps and a free copy of Seaclear plus the bonus stuff you can get free from NOAA. Perhpas if you didn't have a high speed Internet connection. All this and more can be had for free.
Yes, except what is your time worth, sitting there and downloading charts, even with a high speed connection?

Seclear has been described as not very user friendly. Is Seaclear II any better?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 14:23   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Yes, except what is your time worth, sitting there and downloading charts, even with a high speed connection?
Charts update quite regualrly so you need to download them once in a while. My experience with Seaclear came to the conclusion that it is over priced. As you say what is your time worth?

The current open source project that supports BSB and ENC seems to have a whole lot more potential. I realize that when some people say the "best software" they mean the lowest cost. Free suddenly has fewer obstacals.

Open CPN is a new open source program and to me is already better than Seaclear ever will be. There is a thread about it here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cpn-13653.html
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 14:44   #21

I purchased this package and have not yet received it. For $17 I did not want to spend the time to learn how to download charts. To me if it's to confusing $17 is a throw away. You pay your money and take your chances! 17 bucks is no big deal.

My plan is to try it to experience electronic navigation in coastal areas, rivers, the Great Lakes, and the ICW. I used Nobeltec on the Manta 42 cruise we took and really liked it.
Old 28-10-2008, 16:21   #22

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
US Govt Charts and Rose Point

One of the many things I like about Rose Point is that in their new code version they automatically update from the NOAA site. "What is your time worth indeed?" Maptech OEMed this product as "Chart Navigator Pro." They are purported to have an upgrade deal for Maptech users.

Caribsailors is beta on this code (that is supposed to be released soon) Mind telling us what you think? Have they added GRIB data? Is planning mode any easier?
SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:24   #23

Boat: Bristol 38.8
So Maptech's Navigator Pro is just a privately labelled version of Rose Point?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:27   #24

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
Maptech is Rosepoint

In a word, YEP! Maptech integrated the NOAA charts, but Rosepoint has made that automatic in the 2.0 version Caribsailors is beta on (supposed to be release this quarter).
SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 19:21   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Beta

GRIB data is now utilized. I have not download a file from NOAA but the help file explains how it's done.

I have been getting GRIB downloaded from Rose Point, seamless.

Planning is great, completed a trip to Cuba last March, waypoints up loaded to chart plotter with no issues. I was just sorting out the ships log and tracking during that trip. Changes have been made.

Hope this helps......Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34   #26

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I use Seapro 3000 see here Euronav Navigation Systems
Easy & intuitive to use, the multi-window display works with their own Livechart vector charts, s57 vector + ARCS, BSB & HCRF raster & a few other less popular formats. It can display light sequence of navigional devices according to your position & height. With an optional plug-in it even displays charts from the Navionics card I use in my Raymarine C80.

It's real strength are the facilties it provides though. Input/Output via COM ports (with auto setup) & TCP/IP allowing networking to other devices. Full autopilot control. AIS display with collision warning + transponder control. Weather grib display & weather routing with ability to edit sailing polars. Tidal display with heights, currents & route planning. Optional GMDSS distress display. Radar display when hooked up to Koden PC radar + ARPA radar interface. 3D display module.

Nearly forgot to mention, it's fully compatible with Vista 32 or 64 as well.

Note I have no connection with this company other than being a very satisfied user for nearly 10 years.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Jerry,

If navigating in USA waters, I think it's silly to pay for Navigation software period when Seaclear II is available for free and uses the same charts the better Nav packages use.

SeaClear GPS Navigation Software

It will work for non USA waters as well, but is probably too much trouble to deal with converting charts. In that case I definately see a reason for bending plastic a bit.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:09   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
For a particularly objective comparison of Nav Software see Navigation Software Series | MadMariner.com
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 22:31   #29

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Almost all of the questions that have been asked in this thread from stability to compatability to Vista to Gribs can all be found in a new book that just came out called "Get Onboard with E Charting", by Mark and Diana Doyle. ($35 from Seabreeze Books in San Diego)

This is one of the best written books of this type I have ever seen. They tried and rated about a dozen programs. They rates them in 80 different categories.

If you want a chart program, you have to get this book. Period.

(I have no interest in the book, other than I read it and learned sooo much.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 07:31   #30

Hi Folks,

As I said in an earlier post I paid $17 for a DVD with SeaClear II PLUS a couple thousand current NOAA charts that include the East, Gulf, and West coasts plus the Great Lakes and the Caribbean.

I did learn how to download the charts from NOAA but to save my time the $17 was worth it to get all these charts ready to go on a DVD.

SeaClear worked fine for me except for the fact that I could not go to a chart by it's chart number and I noticed that in many cruising guides they say see chart number xxxxx.

I then took Caribsailors advice and tried Rose Point's Coastal Explorer. If you're into loading the free charts from NOAA once you download the ZIP file of NOAA charts Coastal Explorer automatically grabs them, unzips 'em, and loads them into Coastal Explorer for you. I liked that.

Also, Coastal Explorer searched my PC and found the couple of thousand charts that the $17 SeaClear DVD loaded and included them into Coastal Explorer. So far I do like Coastal Explorer the best.

BTW, as you probably already now, it costs $400 but you can download a FREE trial version to try yourself. This is what I did.

Just GOOGLE Rose Point or Coastal Explorer.

Tags
navigation