Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 12:07   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Re: Best Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak1958 View Post
I am doing research on which software packages to have on board and am still looking at old threads ...
Despite the "old thread" moans, you will very likely be quite happy with the open source offering from OpenCPN. Since 1993 or so I've run just about all the laptop-oriented software offerings, including all the expensive examples. OpenCPN is stellar, free, capable, and can display whatever you have in mind, in just about whatever fashion you have in mind.
Old 19-06-2015, 12:48   #47

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..my vote is for tiki.. inexpensive, excellent support, easy to understand, decent graphic...
Old 19-06-2015, 13:04   #48

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Since this thread has been revived, I'll chime in.

Coastal Explorer runs my boat while my wife and I fish. Great software that's used by a lot of commercial boats. It's well worth the price. Nonetheless, I've searched for a good open source solution for years, something that would run on Linux. I've started practicing with OpenCPN. It's not something I'm comfortable using in a "mission critical" application, but it has a lot of features that I look forward to using as it gets polished and I learn my way around it.
Old 19-06-2015, 13:15   #49

Since I will be using C-Map charts Coastal Explorer would work. However, I am leaning toward Nobeltec Odyssey and OpenCPN, running both for redundancy. If I were sailing in the U.S. I may not make the same choice. At the boat show">Miami boat show Navionics said they did not have charts for Hong Kong and that is where my trip will start, and the people at C-Map have been very helpful.

Does anyone have $0.02 to put in about Nobeltec Odyssey?
polak1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 21:52   #50

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've used MaxSea for 4 years. It's about $700 for the simplest version. It only uses MapMedia charts. Charts are only upgraded after several years. It's easy to use, connect devices and zoom in and out. It doesn't use the free US charts. I never use the 3D option.
As a backup I use OpenCPN. It's a little more trouble for hook ups, but is a free download. It uses the free US charts. The US charts get corrections made all the time. You can download a single chart or the whole Naval District.
Since I don't use the 3D in Maxsea, OpenCPN is almost the same to me. I run both in Windows 7 on a Mac using Bootcamp. No software issues. I would try OpenCPN before buying something else.
I tried Rose Point Coastal Explorer and liked it, but didn't buy. I may later. I wanted to try their commercial program, but they don't answer emails.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 15:05   #51

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31

Aside from my chart plotter, my low budget assistant is Blue Chart app by Garmin. It merges NOAA charts with Active Captain info, showing anchorages, hazard warnings, etc. Assuming I have a cell signal, the GPS tracking is identical to my plotter. For $30, it's a great supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 10:13   #52
Eternal Member

OK, here's a 2016 update.

After using Maptech's Offshore Navigator for years, I found that after AIS became common the program did not support both commercial and recreational AIS signals. Moreover, although the company "planned to fix this", it was evident they had fallen on hard times and were unlikely to do so.

So, I began a search. Looked at several high-end programs, and finally settled on Rose Point Navigation's full-featured product, Coastal Explorer.

Now, after living with this program for almost two years, and having used it cruising the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, I can honestly say that I LOVE IT.

It is flexible, takes raster and vector charts (RNCs & VNCs) as well as some others, has a wonderful automatic chart updating system, quilts quite well, integrates with Active Captain, and is very well supported. The company is anxious to respond to any problems, and frequently issues updates which are automatically incorporated, as are Active Captain updates.

I've found the program to be very stable, running on a 64-bit IBM Windows 7 Pro laptop.

Note that the full program, a suitable laptop, a large LCD monitor, a GPS puck, and full NOAA charts of the U.S. can be had for less than the cost of a typical chartplotter which has only a tiny portion of the capability for charting, display, routes and waypoints, updates, information, communications, etc.

Well worth the money, IMHO.

Bill
s/v Born Free
Lying Yarmouth ME
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:11   #53

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Does anyone have $0.02 to put in about Nobeltec Odyssey?[/QUOTE]

I don't have Odyssey, but I do use Timezero Trident and love it. I think the difference is the 3D. I don't sail using 3D so no info about that.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13   #54

Boat: Catalina 30

We just purchased Active Captain for iPad based on recommendation, have no experience with it. Any information from an experienced user, (other than RTFM), is appreciated.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:59   #55

Boat: Catalina 30

We purchased Garmin BlueChart to go with it. Pilots like Garmin.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 00:21   #56

https://charts.raymarine.com/store/product/RT-RNS

RayTech - 500 USD.

Since this is made for Xp/W7 and some outdated Raymarine gear, I wonder if there are second hand versions available for it. I have an E120 (the classic one), E85001 with SeaTalk/NMEA-183/RS-232 and all that old stuff.
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation