Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 14:59   #1

Best route - Australia to the Mediterranean

Hi, I am contemplating a voyage from Australia to the Mediterranean. I'm after anyone's advice on the safest route.

I could take the long route, across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal then across the Atlantic, or I could cross the Indian Ocean and go up either side of Africa into either the Suez Canal or through Gibraltar.

I would prefer to take the shortest route but my main concern is with pirates. Is there a safe practical route past Africa?
MacGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 15:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best route: Australia to the Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
Hi, I am contemplating a voyage from Australia to the Mediterranean. I'm after anyone's advice on the safest route.

I could take the long route, across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal then across the Atlantic, or I could cross the Indian Ocean and go up either side of Africa into either the Suez Canal or through Gibraltar.

I would prefer to take the shortest route but my main concern is with pirates. Is there a safe practical route past Africa?
Take away the Pirate factor and apart from the distance its much of a muchness after the 1st 500 miles...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:17   #3

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: Best route: Australia to the Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Take away the Pirate factor and apart from the distance its much of a muchness after the 1st 500 miles...
How was that reply supposed to be of any assistance to a first time poster on the forum when he stated that his main concern is the pirate risk in African waters.

Even with the large naval presence in these waters pirate attacks still happen to cruising yachts and some of them have been fatal. If you go well below Africa then you are getting deeper into the Southern Ocean which has it's own risks. If time was not an issue I'd go the longer route through Panama to take the Africa pirate issue out of your mind.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
How was that reply supposed to be of any assistance to a first time poster on the forum when he stated that his main concern is the pirate risk in African waters.

Even with the large naval presence in these waters pirate attacks still happen to cruising yachts and some of them have been fatal. If you go well below Africa then you are getting deeper into the Southern Ocean which has it's own risks. If time was not an issue I'd go the longer route through Panama to take the Africa pirate issue out of your mind.
The OP stated that he'd LIKE to take the Suez route but for the pirates....
He then asked if there was a safe route past Africa... to me Cape Town or Panama is much of a muchness... 5000 miles of water before you hit land... so past the first 500 its just as safe... or dangerous either way.
As to going W and deep into the S.Ocean... I suggest you study some Pilot charts.. its not nessecary if going W... or possible S of 35S
going TO Oz is another matter... then you have to stay between 35-40* to keep in the edge of the W'lies...
Furthermore... the Poster has not said whether he's on the E or W coast of OZ....
makes a helluva difference to which is the longer route...
EG; Perth to Cape Town is 5400 in a straight line... no need to stop before... following winds all the way around 30*S.. and to rough for the pirates who like to stay N of the Seychelles...
Now Perth to Panama is down past Hobart or up past Java... yeah.. reckon you would need the time...
But if he's on the E side... Panama would be the best option...
Like I said... once in the open Ocean its much of a muchness...

Old 07-02-2012, 17:08   #5

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Agree with your additional info which is good & that the poster has a few things to consider including if he is on the E or W coast of Oz.

My comment about the Southern Ocean was based on some reading that I had done about how far south pirates are venturing but on doing some further research I agree that you should not need to go too far south of the Cape of Good Hope. I personally wouldn't want to do the Suez route but of course many do but it is a bit like rolling the dice with those damn pirates.

So damn frustrating I same a recent documentary filmed from a US warship & helicopter where they filmed the pirates throwing their weopons over the side so that when they eventually boarded the pirate vessel they had no weapons so they could not charge them with piracy. Seems we are too damn soft & nice to them.They must be laughing their heads off at us in these situations.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:23   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Panama and south around africa really arent the same at all. To get from Oz to Panama you are either spending thousands of miles in higher latitudes to get favorable winds or you are bashing to windward for a very long time. And then when you get through the canal you are downwind of everywhere. For a long time.

I havent done the trip myself but have been looking at pilot charts and cruising routes to see the easiest way and I have to say it doesnt look good going east from Australia. Once i get that far i am going to keep on going westabout (which is what most people do, from what I can see)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Depart Sydney November and pass N of NZ... stay between 33*-40*S till around 150W then curve up with the winds to Panama... once through the Panama winds should be good for W Cuba... then haul out the iron sail to the Bahama's....

Old 07-03-2012, 14:28   #8

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Best route - Australia to the Mediterranean

im just looking ito do a delivery from nz to panama next week or so and strait over to 150w is the right way to go,then hoping the easting is enough should in all thery have a reasonable good(long)trip to panama.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, mediterranean, australia