Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2021, 07:30   #16

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Boston Light beacon change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
That symbol (red square around black dot) is for an always underwater rock, not a rock that uncovers. I don't know why the depths are slightly different, could be different survey data was used, or the data was interpolated differently.

On the soon-to-be discontinued NOAA charts I've relied on in U.S. waters for 50 years, * denotes a rock that uncovers. Rk is a rock that does not. (see attached.)

Obviously, that an experienced mariner such as yourself knows the universal system used by Navionics as the rule means simply that an old fuddy-duddy like me has to put away the NOAA charts and adapt to the new world.

Especially if I ever leave U.S. waters

[EDIT: As for the depths, that was user error, as Requiem pointed out. In my haste to disparage the modern era, I screenshotted two adjacent but different sections of the channel. Other than using different symbols, Navionics and NOAA charts seem to be in sync, at least in New England waters.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.26.34 AM.png
Views:	49
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	245874  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 13:39   #17

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
In my haste to disparage the modern era, I screenshotted two adjacent but different sections of the channel. Other than using different symbols, Navionics and NOAA charts seem to be in sync, at least in New England waters.
Oh, you can still disparage those tiny symbols. Here's why...

The first attachment is another view of the area using a different set of charts from my previous ones. I've added arrows pointing to the rocks. The circle indicates the seabed type which is also rock.

Next for the fun bit. Navionic's "rock" symbol indeed looks similar to the "rock awash" symbol for international charts (row 12). It's also re-used for that purpose as well. This doesn't help. I think they do similar for buoys. The paper chart symbols you see are on row 14.2. Note that the screenshot is consistent with the ECDIS presentations for such rocks, which aren't too far off from the international equivalents.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rocks.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	245889   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocks-chart1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	245890  

requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 20:50   #18

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Oh, you can still disparage those tiny symbols. Here's why...

The first attachment is another view of the area using a different set of charts from my previous ones. I've added arrows pointing to the rocks. The circle indicates the seabed type which is also rock.

Next for the fun bit. Navionic's "rock" symbol indeed looks similar to the "rock awash" symbol for international charts (row 12). It's also re-used for that purpose as well. This doesn't help. I think they do similar for buoys. The paper chart symbols you see are on row 14.2. Note that the screenshot is consistent with the ECDIS presentations for such rocks, which aren't too far off from the international equivalents.
What kills me is that the symbols for "rock that does not uncover and sits at a certain depth" and "rock that uncovers and will sink you dead if you don't heed it" are nearly identical. Woe betide the farsighted mariner who depends on this chart! (see attached; Devil's Back uncovers at mid low water; the shoal inside Red 6 is at 14 feet depth. There is a very minute difference between the two symbols.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 11.46.42 PM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	245901  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote