Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 18:31   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Bridge Clearance Atlantic ICW

My GUESS is he could make Norfolk to Moorehead City/Beaufort alright. I just came up from Beaufort to Edenton with no issues. And my recollection is the run here to Norfolk is even deeper. I will know foe sure within a month.

6-1/2’
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 19:28   #32

I've done the ICW several times with a 63' 2" air draft (to the hard mast top). It is considerably harder over 64' but possible even at 65 if you pick your tide. You have to be particularly careful during monthly King or Moon Tides when many bridges have a couple of feet less clearance.

South of Beaufort NC, there's plenty of tidal range if you plan your day to pass under the tricky bridges below mid tide. Even with a 63' aid draft, we plan our day to not pass under "problem" fixed bridges within two hours of high tide.

Between Norfolk and Beaufort there is no lunar tide but just two bridges of concern - the Pungo Ferry and the Wilkerson. Both of these can be a problem if wind has pushed the water level up. We once had to anchor for 48 hours at the Pungo Ferry to wait for the water level to go down after a storm - but that only happened once.

I actually did put a camera at the top of the mast. A complete failure. The camera lense obviously has no height scale - so just about every bridge looks terrifying as you approach. You really can't tell the difference between 62' and 65' until you it's too late to stop the boat.

But if it's feasible, I would strongly suggest a 63' air draft if you want relatively stress free travel on the ICW.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 06:36   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Dear Skipmac and Sailor boy. We have it from several reliable sources that a vessel with 65’ air draft will not pass under some ICW bridges. Thus our question.
Sorry if my reply seemed a bit flip. My weak attempt at humor.

It is certainly a valid concern on exact clearances but this is not a new problem. It has been an issue for as long as I've been boating. As I and others have experienced clearances in some areas (the sounds in NC a common area) can see reduced clearances due to wind enhanced tides or other reasons.

I'm actually cruising the ICW on NC right now and lowest I've seen this trip was just over 64. Previous trips I've seen lesa the 63 but rarely.

Regarding why ICW as posed in another post. I prefer outside but winds for about a week are 20-25 kts or so from N to NE around Hatteras so I can wait in Beaufort for a week or make Norfolk on the inside. Anyone that wants to round Hatteras in those conditions is welcome to it but I'll pass.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 14:08   #34

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

My Hunter 40.5 had a hard stuff height of 63.3 feet. Above that I had a tricolor, wind transducers and a whip VHF Antenna. The top of the antenna is about 65 feet. The antenna touches many bridges. A low bridge in GA cleared off the top of the mast. There is a bridge on the Saint Johns River in FL going to Green Cove Springs which is barely over 63 feet. Notice the past tense on the tricolor and wind transducers. I moved the wind transducers to an arm at the front of the mast that keeps the transducers below the top of the mast. I mounted the tricolor on a spring so that it can be pushed down.

The dead center bridge navigation lights on the bridge to Stuart, FL, are below 64 feet and they don't move.
I have found several bridges in FL that indicate the side clearance of the bridge, often saying about 63 feet. The clearance in the center is generally OK.
you will have a much more relaxing trip on the Inter Coastal with a mast height less than 62 feet.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 14:40   #35

Boat: Antigua 44

Seems like a fair and informed question based on the reply's??? Why do people have to be so crappy with their 'the bridges haven't changed' comments?

They seem uniformed based on actual sailor's accounts of the bridges not being 65' ... I would also add the bridges in Jensen Beach can come up a little bit short, no more than the 63' mark others have reported. Stuart bridge was mentioned.
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 14:53   #36

You asked for first hand experience. I travelled from mile 0 to West Palm Beach in Feb and back N again in April. I was offshore for half the journey there and back but did pass the some of the lowest bridges. Dismal Swamp south and Virginia Cut North.
My air draft is 63’8” we did not touch the Wilkerson (64’).
Not all the bridges had clearance boards.
In Daytona the bridges were showing 62’ 6” we anchored and waited for the tide to drop but we were already close to low water. We went under these bridges and didn’t touch. I can guess the air draft on the board is measured to the lowest (outside edges) of the arched road deck and the clearance is greater in the middle.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 12:27   #37

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Of course they aren't getting any worse either...

This question has always baffled me.

As the owner of a boat with a 67 foot air draft, we never even consider the ICW. Even if we COULD fit, we'd infinitely prefer the ocean route.

I would think that any boat that would carry a 65+ foot mast would be capable of ocean voyages? On the other hand if you think the ICW is a cool trip, a sailboat of that size just seems kind of the wrong choice....
+1!

I totally agree with you Bill.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 16-05-2021, 18:16   #38

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I posted a simple question and appreciate and sincerely thank the posters who were kind enough to share their experiences.
I need not explain why I’ve posted this question unless the forum rules now require prior approval of threads.
I will not respond to snarky comments.
I hold a Merchant Mariners Credential. I’ve built many fine yachts . I did the Marion Bermuda in the 1960s and I’ve sailed a lot of oceans since.
The tone of some posters, the snide cuteness and attempts at dismissive quips tells me a great deal about their generally unhappy state.
Again, my sincere thanks for those who are here to help others for which the manatee crew tip their hats, raise their glasses and sing....
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 18:29   #39

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Take a look at bob423 Facebook group. Lots of recent actual experience.
Btw just under 64’ and thinking about heading that way. My dad has done it with a bit taller rig and enjoyed the trip. Other than the lightning strike.
It’s a different experience
It’s a different journey and a different experience.
Yes slower. Yes shallower. Yes bridges and locks. Yes social. Not offshore. More motoring. But fun I hear.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 07:28   #40

Thank you. The manatee crew refuses to use Facebook so I’ll have a friend transcribe. I think it’s a prudent thing to know about bridges because for example, even if you are offshore, you might have to duck into the ICW for a medical emergency.
I like to know things, not guess.
Again, thank you.
Mark
Old 18-05-2021, 07:36   #41

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Mark,
If you go w/a shorter mast height, are you considering a ketch rig for your boat? This set up would provide you w/the shorter main mast (ICW friendly) and still maintain a decent SA.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 08:02   #42

It IS a ketch. The sail plan is at TedBrewer.com...the last boat under aluminum sail Shenanigan. Long story. My friend never got passed the empty hull stage.
We’ve thought about a wishbone ketch like Bruce King did on his own boat.
I’ve got two main masts now...LOL. One long, one I’m going to trim a few inches.
I’m perfectly happy going along at manatee speed.
Mark
Old 18-05-2021, 08:17   #43

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

OK didn't know it was a ketch rig. From the 1st post in the thread it wasn't clear if it was/wasn't rigged yet. Thank you for the clarification.
We like our ketch rig.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 05:03   #44

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
It IS a ketch. The sail plan is at TedBrewer.com...the last boat under aluminum sail Shenanigan. Long story. My friend never got passed the empty hull stage.

We’ve thought about a wishbone ketch like Bruce King did on his own boat.

I’ve got two main masts now...LOL. One long, one I’m going to trim a few inches.

I’m perfectly happy going along at manatee speed.

Mark

Nice boat!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 06:05   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Changing the sail plan will effect the balance and how she sails.

Why not contact Ted and get his input?

I have talked to him and find him quite approachable.

But that also brings up another question, the mast height will effect the sails.

Are you getting all new sails? Or do you have sails you intend to recut?

Its just that my quick eyeball looks like you are talking about lopping off 10’ to 15’ of mast, which strikes me as a huge amount.

Our steel cutter is a modification of a ketch, the mast is considerably taller and the sail plan different. The balance moved quite a bit. At 63’ we get through the ICW with reasonable caution.

I would be curious how you are approaching that aspect of this question.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw