Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53   #1

Boat: Baba 30
BU 353 & Nobeltec 4. xx Problems

Does anyone know how to connect the GPS to Nobeltec? When we try it only see three already installed recievers, Furuno etc. Does anyone know of a down load patch etc? Thnaks
Melekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 18:22   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
I have used a USB port gps antenna, like DeLorme. I am assuming you are running the Nobeltec on a laptop?
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 20:10   #3

Nobeltec 4...

Yes my computer is a laptop running XP. I called the Nobeltec support. The fellow was very helpful, but... Nobeltec no longer supports version 4! Sounds like I need a GPS emulator. Since I posted this note, I have downloaded all my charts to maptech and it does work with the GPS. Still I would like to know if there is any simple way to remedy the problem.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 20:23   #4

One of my biggest challenges with Nobeltec is getting the software to recognize a com port. I think I am running version 9 VNS, one of the things I had to do was get converter to from the serial port to USB, which was both a software and hardware deal. I had to buy a USB to Serial port cable and then run the software so that the Nobeltec would recognize it, then I could hook the computer up to my Garmin 232 and download my waypoints. After that I could plug my USB, GPS antenna directly into the computer and the Nobeltec software would find it, but I had to plug the antenna into the same port as I had configured with the software. I do not know if any of this is helping. I am having a problem with the computer recognizing the com port I am plugged into myself, right now. I don't have my unit with me, but I will be back home around the 19th and I have a trick to try that was suggested by a ship mate. If that proves successful then, I may have something to pass on.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55   #5

Sounds familiar. I run the old 4.0 Nobeltec on a laptop and have periodic problems with the Com Port recognition. My work around is somewhat awkward. I also have a version (5.??) of Captains Admiral - the software on that program has no problem recognizing the garmin and assigning Com Ports. I set up using the Captain and when I have good positional data, I shut down the Captain and bring up the Nobeltec and find that it has used the same comm ports and all is well. It's a wierd workaround but it does work - the Captain simply has a better protocol - at least with that. Just for your info... I recently acquired a rugged laptop with an internal GPS and Nobeltec 4.0 immediately recognized it and assigned comm ports.
jan bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 16:00   #6

I will have to try that when, I get home, I have Captains, too. The other work around that was suggested was to go into the setup menu on start up, by pressing F12, or F10 depending on the computer, and activating the com ports in the dos menu. I haven't had a chance to try that. Now that you mention it, I was using Delorme's antenna and streets program, after I got that up and running so that it recognized the antenna, that is when the Nobeltec caught the signal after I shut the street program down. Thanks for the insight, now I have a starting point to work from when I get home in a few days.
Old 21-04-2009, 16:16   #7

Nobletec & GPS

Thank you for the comments.
Since I wrote I have switched to Maptech with no problems.

I have a netbook with xp, navigator lite and everything works fine.

So now I might modify my question, which do you prefer-- Maptech or Nobletech and why?

Thanx

Robert
Old 25-03-2013, 11:09   #8

Boat: Chris Craft Conselliation 50
Re: BU 353 & Nobeltec 4. xx Problems

Hi does anyone know if a site key can be generated for nobeltec v7 I have it all set up with the radar and will work for 30 days only thanks
Scottflys2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nobeltec