Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 21:48   #1
cruiser

Boat: magbeTVE
Send a message via ICQ to Safc Send a message via AIM to Safc Send a message via Yahoo to Safc Send a message via Skype™ to Safc
Buy Navionics charts, use on InavX (IOS) AND Boating HD (Android)

Hello All,

I would like to know if it's possible to purchase Navionics charts from their website, then use these charts on my Ipad (InavX) and my android phone (Navionics' "Boating HD" app).

Anybody experience with this ?

Thanks in advance !

Brgds,
Safc
Safc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 19:36   #2
cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to Safc Send a message via AIM to Safc Send a message via Yahoo to Safc Send a message via Skype™ to Safc
Re: Buy Navionics charts, use on InavX (IOS) AND Boating HD (Android)

Nobody ??
Old 31-07-2017, 20:25   #3

Boat: Spacesailer 24

You are going about it back to front. First download the App and then you can download the charts into the ap. Navionics only downloads the parts of the chart that you want, so best to do that when you are connected via WIFI.
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 21:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

AFAIK, it is not possible.

You can only buy the charts on SD/Compact Flash cards.

You can only download charts into their phone/tablet apps directly from Navionics over the internet.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 21:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It seems that it may be possible the other way. Apparently with a compatible plotter and a subscription with the app, you can update the plotter card with charts downloaded via the app.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts...s/plotter-sync
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 00:38   #6

Boat: Sabre 38

INavX has done a good (?) job at preventing maps from moving devices. I believe they even make you buy the charts on the iPhone if you purchased the iPad version.

For this reason, I went Navionics on the iPad and Garmin on the iPhone. Figured I'd stick it to INavX (sort of) and two types of charts is better than one.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Also consider Garmin BlueCharts for iPad. Just did ICW / outside from NC to West Palm and then to Bahamas and back. Very accurate and easy to use, and the Active Captain features are very helpful.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:34   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Having compared Navionics, Garmin and iSailor Transas over two years and a couple of thousand miles my own, subjective, view, albeit reinforced by people I was with, is that the Transas charts have a clear lead. They are not as keenly priced as they were but you can compare your area with what the others offer and I suspect that you will conclude that they remain very good value. They update regularly. If you get a new tablet and sign in with the same credentials you retain the ability to download. I also rate the app, which you can try FOC, very highly.

I would be surprised if you could use the same subscription on both iOS and Android but if you email iSailor they respond. Amazing in itself!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:58   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Which charts do you need? USA charts can be downloaded in raster format and used in tablet or phone
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 19:42   #10

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Navionics can be used on an 'app' device like an iPad and/or iPhone right off the web. You need to be connected to the web; download the specific app for your piece of hardware and then you should get the option to buy whatever charts you will use that go with the app. My wife and I both use Navionics on our iPhone and iPad respectively. We get updates when at a dock with a wifi connection. You need to make sure that you download the particular sections of the charts you will be using to your device when you are not connected in order to have the detail that comes with them. Otherwise you get nothing but amorphous blobs.

Navionics charts on my chart plotter are a different story. I tried to update the ones that came with the boat and cannot do it online (I have an older Raymarine E80) the chips are too old. I will have to get a new chip to get the updates onto the chart plotter
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 20:26   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Which charts do you need? USA charts can be downloaded in raster format and used in tablet or phone
I need the European charts - these are not available as free ENC's..

Here the official reply from Navionics to my question:

Dear
thank you for contacting Navionics.
INavX is a mobile software that licenses our cartography, but we are not the developer of the software and we do not handle the charts used on it directly.
For any questions or concerns must be directed to iNavX directly:http://inavx.com/

Please, be aware that Charts for mobile devices can be purchased from the App Stores like iTunes for Apple or Google Play Store for Android, on our WebStore we only sell Plotter cards (CF or SD/MSD).

If you wish to purchase Navionics for your iPad you have to look for Boating App>> iTunes.

We would like to suggest you the Boating App (downloadable for free) which also provides a two weeks free trial, where you can select the region you like.
After the free trial you can choose to buy the regions as in_App (Menu>Charts&Upgrades>Add region).

Here below the direct link to read the information about our Boating App:
https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

We would like to inform you that each platform requires that the app be programmed differently for use on those types of devices making it a completely separate app than the ones available for other platforms.

If you have purchased a new device running on a different platform and you would like to use the Navionics mobile app, an additional purchase would be required.

All App transactions are done through the respective App Stores and so it is not possible to exchange one app for the other. If you have purchased a new device running on a different platform (Android) and you would like to use the Navionics mobile App and maps on your Android phone, an additional purchase through the Google Play Store is needed.

For additional support, access Navionics online Help or Chat Now with a live agent.

Best regards,

Jana Lange
Navionics Customer Service

__________________________________________________ __

With other words: Buy the same charts AGAIN for your other devices... Too bad.

Tags
boat, boating, charts, iNavX, navionics