Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 22:32   #91

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Can I ditch my SSB radio for an Sat Phone type Iridium Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I have NO problem keeping my smartphone safe from water... in its waterproof dry sleeve https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-6...e?colour=SOU00

As for Zoleo, I recommend others actually do their research and compare. The linked youtube does deal with pros and cons.

Batteries are not an issue as I have several power banks (almost never needed).
Like the Zoleo, the Iridium Go also requires an app on smart phone or tablet. But, the Iridium Go also has apps for laptops. You're right...not a big issue.

Zoleo also uses a wifi connection, a cell connection, or the Iridium satellites.

Where Zoleo fall short is that only 1 device at a time can connect to the Zoleo unit. The Iridium Go allows multiple devices to connect.

Also, the "new" "Unlimited Live Tracking" Location Share+ feature only allows 5 contacts to track your 'bread crumbs,' and they can only track you via the Zoleo software on their smart phone or tablet. And, it's an additional fee (I think $6 / month). Both InReach and PredictWind/Iridium Go can post tracks to the Internet for anyone to view. Also, the PredictWind tracking page allows "blog" like posts.

Text messages are nice, but what is really critical sailing offshore is weather. InReach gets rudimentary weather reports, and PredictWind offers prognostic weather charts. Having an HF radio to also download synoptic weather charts is a big bonus.

Ya gets what ya pays for! I'd rather pay more and get the things I need when I'm offshore. Zoleo may be great for hikers, but I see extremely limited value to anyone sailing offshore.
Old 28-12-2021, 09:47   #92

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Like the Zoleo, the Iridium Go also requires an app on smart phone or tablet. But, the Iridium Go also has apps for laptops. You're right...not a big issue.

Zoleo also uses a wifi connection, a cell connection, or the Iridium satellites.

Where Zoleo fall short is that only 1 device at a time can connect to the Zoleo unit. The Iridium Go allows multiple devices to connect.

Also, the "new" "Unlimited Live Tracking" Location Share+ feature only allows 5 contacts to track your 'bread crumbs,' and they can only track you via the Zoleo software on their smart phone or tablet. And, it's an additional fee (I think $6 / month). Both InReach and PredictWind/Iridium Go can post tracks to the Internet for anyone to view. Also, the PredictWind tracking page allows "blog" like posts.

Text messages are nice, but what is really critical sailing offshore is weather. InReach gets rudimentary weather reports, and PredictWind offers prognostic weather charts. Having an HF radio to also download synoptic weather charts is a big bonus.

Ya gets what ya pays for! I'd rather pay more and get the things I need when I'm offshore. Zoleo may be great for hikers, but I see extremely limited value to anyone sailing offshore.
Regarding the ZOLEO location+ share going to more than the "5 contacts" , I have a question sent in to support. It is possible they mean the "automatic" location sharing. Will update when I get answer.

However, one can share location with each and every text or email sent (by selecting this option in Zoleo). Also, by using FollowingSea tracking, it is simple to send short email to update positions on map; for example: https://followingsea.net/track/PELAGIA

Zoleo also gets "rudimentary" weather reports (From Dark Sky). It can also receive weather emails from Followingsea (spot forecasts). I am still testing other text-based forecasts (such as from Saildocs). Will update.

Of course, as I noted earlier, I too use my SSB (Winlink) for longer text forecasts, synoptic charts, and grib files.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 09:54   #93

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Of course, as I noted earlier, I too use my SSB (Winlink) for longer text forecasts, synoptic charts, and grib files.[/QUOTE]
================
sorry, been lazy, did not look at your previous posts.
What ICOM model do you use?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 09:59   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
sorry, been lazy, did not look at your previous posts.

What ICOM model do you use?

thanks
ICOM 802 (circa 2012)

When we were in Mexico, we found Sailmail much better than HAM/Winlink.

Back in BC, we found Winlink (usually, not always though) easy to connect to. Meanwhile, Sailmail had raised its cost too much so we dumped it.

The "usually, not always" was one reason we've (just) added the Zoleo. Covid willing, in 2022, we will be cruising some wild/uncharted areas of BC.
Old 28-12-2021, 10:07   #95

Quote:
ICOM 802 (circa 2012)

When we were in Mexico, we found Sailmail much better than HAM/Winlink.

Back in BC, we found Winlink (usually, not always though) easy to connect to. Meanwhile, Sailmail had raised its cost too much so we dumped it.

The "usually, not always" was one reason we've (just) added the Zoleo. Covid willing, in 2022, we will be cruising some wild/uncharted areas of BC.
==============
thank you very much
have the old 710 and just reinstalled it after sitting in the garage for the last 20 some years when I took it out of my previous boat.
Will see how I use it as soon as we can go back sailing!!!
If I find using it, more likely will upgrade to your model.
thank you again.
PS will not make $ sense to buy a Pactor for my model.
take care
Old 28-12-2021, 10:09   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Pelagia, I've not heard of Zoleo before. I've been an inReach user since long before Garmin bought it. It's worked really well for our travels, but I'm always open to new tools.

I like the seamless transition between available networks on the Zoleo, but for how we use inReach, it seems the tracking function is better. And despite the clunkiness of the inReach typing system there is something to be said for it being self-contained in the unit (even though I prefer using the inReach app on my ipad).

Still... very interesting. Thanks.
Old 28-12-2021, 10:10   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
==============

thank you very much

have the old 710 and just reinstalled it after sitting in the garage for the last 20 some years when I took it out of my previous boat.

Will see how I use it as soon as we can go back sailing!!!

If I find using it, more likely will upgrade to your model.

thank you again.

PS will not make $ sense to buy a Pactor for my model.

take care
A Pactor for the 710 would also work on the 802, no? (perhaps small changes to cables)
Old 28-12-2021, 10:18   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Pelagia, I've not heard of Zoleo before. I've been an inReach user since long before Garmin bought it. It's worked really well for our travels, but I'm always open to new tools.

I like the seamless transition between available networks on the Zoleo, but for how we use inReach, it seems the tracking function is better. And despite the clunkiness of the inReach typing system there is something to be said for it being self-contained in the unit (even though I prefer using the inReach app on my ipad).

Still... very interesting. Thanks.
Obviously far from boat right now (brrrrr, -22°C here in Whistler) but will be testing Zoleo and will update later (likely with its own thread).

As for tracking, I'm not interested in minute x minute (or more realistically hour x hour) tracking. More simply, just 1-2 times per day, which is very easy to do on Zoleo.

I was more sold by Zoleo providing you dedicated/unique SMS number AND email address. So easy for someone to write to you from their usual cell phone/email system (or for one to receive automatic reply, such as a text forecast). A bonus is that Zoleo allows slightly longer texts and emails.

As I said, we shall see.
Old 28-12-2021, 11:37   #99

Quote:
A Pactor for the 710 would also work on the 802, no? (perhaps small changes to cables)
================
an idea did not consider
thanks
David
Old 28-12-2021, 13:49   #100

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Not sure if it has been pointed out, but winlink/airmail can attach position reports to emails and track your vessel online as well.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 23:27   #101

Boat: Outremer 55L

What is required to get GPS data to an ICOM 802 for DSC use? Currently there is no GPS, though a previous owner has led a NMEA cable down to the radio unit. We’re keeping the 802 for emergency use and want GPS to be in the DSC message, especially as we’ll head into the North Pacific in a few years time and South America after that.

We’ve tried listening to various regional nets, but reception does seem to be pretty hit and miss in the SW Pacific. I guess it’s another item to go on the ‘learn to use properly’ list, sigh.

We also don’t have a Pactor for it though, so have found the Iridium Go, albeit costly, much more useful for weather and comms.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 00:13   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
Remember Rebel Heart a few years back, they left for French Polynesia from Mexico with HF radio and sat phone. While on passage the phone company disconnected their service due to bureaucratic error. Their HF radio was disabled As I recall from a deck leak. When on of the crew had a health issue their only recourse was the EPIRB.They ended up abandoning the boat.My point that for coastal waters super redundancy is a nice luxury for off shore relying on one or even two system can be catastrophic. On Tappan Zee we use our HF radio as primary and Garmin InReach as back up. Not planning another equator crossing soon but if we do I'll shop for some more options for communication.
Eric and Charlotte Kaufman and their two daughters - ages 3 and 13 months - had been sailing for two weeks on a voyage to Tahiti when the baby began to suffer what officials described as diarrhea, vomiting and a rash.01
The parents radioed for help on April 3 and that began a chain of events that ended with the Kaufman's return to San Diego aboard USS Vandegrift on April 9.The Navy sank the vessel before leaving it.

Timeline: Sick Baby Rescue at Sea
March 20: Eric and Charlotte Kaufman set sail on a 36-foot sailboat the “Rebel Heart.” They left Mexico for Fatu Hiva with a 13 month-old baby and 3.5 year-old girl.

April 3: Family calls for help, reporting their youngest child, Lyra, was suffering from diarrhea, vomiting and a rash.

April 3: Four pararescuemen from the 129th Rescue Wing jumped into the Pacific Ocean and boarded the family’s sailboat located about 900 nautical miles off the coast of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

April 4: Guardsmen report that the baby received antibiotics and appeared to be responding well. Two HH 60G Pave Hawks helicopters and a Combat Shadow refueling tanker were placed on standby in case the child needed to be airlifted to a hospital on land.

HOW IA RADIO DISABLED WHEN FAMILY CALL RESCUE
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 01:30   #103

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

We have SSB and would not be without it. The HF is always used on passages allows auto position reporting by email, "large gribs" and synoptic chart downloads and gives open communication with others that a satellite does not.

We used to run an Iridium Sat Phone (on contract). The Iridium was subsequently replaced with Inmarsat ISatPhone (on contract). With the growing availability of cell phone coverage even in the most remote places we found we hardly ever used the sat phone.

We now only use the sat phone as a backup on ocean passages and keep a couple of airtime scratch cards on board that are only activated if required. This is very cost effective.

We have used the satphone in emergency to call emergency coordination services and they called us back everyday for 6 days. Provided the SIM is active anyone can SMS or email you (free).
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 10:31   #104

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
What is required to get GPS data to an ICOM 802 for DSC use? Currently there is no GPS, though a previous owner has led a NMEA cable down to the radio unit. We’re keeping the 802 for emergency use and want GPS to be in the DSC message, especially as we’ll head into the North Pacific in a few years time and South America after that.

We’ve tried listening to various regional nets, but reception does seem to be pretty hit and miss in the SW Pacific. I guess it’s another item to go on the ‘learn to use properly’ list, sigh.

We also don’t have a Pactor for it though, so have found the Iridium Go, albeit costly, much more useful for weather and comms.
To get GPS data to the ICOM 802 you will need a GPS receiver/antenna that outputs NMEA 0182.

As for 'listening to various regional nets' try tuning up on 14.300 Mhz at 2100 zulu for "Tony's Maritime Net" out of NZ. He has a lot of relays in NZ and AUS and very easy to pick up at least one relay station. A second net is the Pacific Maritime Net at 0300 zulu on same frequency. Jane (NH7TZ) runs the net out of Hawaii, but relays sometimes in AUS, and US. Most days I can hear Jane, but sometimes I only get relay stations in California, and 1 time I could only hear a relay in Oklahoma when sailing between HI and Fiji.

On a side note regarding 'rescue posts' above. I fully concur that having at least 2 independent long range communication options is important on ocean crossings. Sat coverage is not 100% in the Pacific. Also, as some have noted on other threads, the average USCG rescue response time on the eastern seaboard of the US is about 4 hours. Rescue in the Pacific Ocean is often counted in days.
Old 29-12-2021, 10:39   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
To get GPS data to the ICOM 802 you will need a GPS receiver/antenna that outputs NMEA 0182.
Correction: NMEA0183

Also: although slow, on 802 you can manually enter lat/lon

Tags
iridium, phone, radio, ssb