Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 12:30   #16

Re: Canadian Hydrographic Service ceases publishing Chart 1 and VOLs 5,6 & 7 Tide Tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I've taken a close look and Ports and Passes is the same as the published tide&current material except that they corrected them for daylight savings time.

I did this two years ago for Dodd Narrows and a few other spots in the Gulf Islands. I had my printed out pages and my friend's copy of Ports and Passes.
Ports and Passages do not cover some of the passes and anchorages north of Desolation. I was up there a couple of times this year and was glad I had Volume 6 with me.

I cannot remember which ones were no covered.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 13:31   #17

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Canadian Hydrographic Service ceases publishing Chart 1 and VOLs 5,6 & 7 Tide Tab

WRITE YOUR MP
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 16:16   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Ports and Passes is a great publication, but it doesn't tabulate as many locations as the government booklet, but it does include all the secondary port information for you to calculate them yourself.

I have also seen some huge errors on Open CPN, and so don't trust it. Navionics on my plotter seems to be pretty accurate, but annoyingly didn't include Malibu Rapids, so I did have to dig out the book for that.
Navionic's problems with tides/currents do not end with missing Malibu Rapids. For example, Navionics does not have Prideaux Haven. And then there's Navionic's Northern BC tides/currents, which are given in "Alaska Daylight Time"!

FYI: I believe "Ports and Passes" are published by ChynaSea, on Vancouver Island. Except for doing the PST-->PDT calculation for you, I don't get their benefit (given they miss out many places in the CHS tables).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 22:40   #19

Disappointed.

Tis the way.
I expect I will end up buying commercially published versions.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:52   #20

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
It is the same where they include it ... but look at what is included from Volume 7 - just Prince Rupert and Bella Bella, with absolutely nothing from Haida Gwaii at all ... It is all there, but you have to calculate from the secondary ports table, no handy daily tables.

[edit] - just looked, secondary port info in ports and passes is all in feet too!

I guess we need to start lobbying the Ports and Passes folks to expand their publication for the north.

At my age, having the tables in feet is not a problem!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:04   #21

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

FYI: I believe "Ports and Passes" are published by ChynaSea, on Vancouver Island. Except for doing the PST-->PDT calculation for you, I don't get their benefit (given they miss out many places in the CHS tables).

Ports and Passes has chartlets of harbours and passes which are handy for planning purposes. Also they have a lot of local information with phone numbers for services, wharfingers, etc. - although, admittedly Waggoners has more. And, because of the spiral binding, Ports and Passes lies flat when you are working with the tables - which the government books, being folded and stapled, do not. The pages keep flipping on their own forcing you to overlay them with cutlery to keep them open as you use them.

Also, if you are sailing the whole coast, Ports and Passes is CHEAPER than buying all three of the government books! I still stand by them as the best investment (although the lack of information from Volume 7 is problematic. It's understandable though. When we were in Haida Gwaii for a month two years ago we saw lots of tour boats, but only three other private recreational boats "from away". Apparently Hecate Strait scares the heck out of most people).
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:18   #22

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Since the government wants us to be using digitial media ... I thought I'd try and make the tables a bit more user friendly than scrolling through a pdf ... there's a lot of tide apps out there, and now there's one more.

It downloads the tables directly from the CHS website, this has to be done once per year, then it can be used offline, and gives a simple table and graph of tide heights and current speeds.

All reference and secondary tide stations in Canada
All reference and secondary current stations in BC.

List stations by name, or by distance from current location, or select from map.

Uses local timezone from phone, or timezone of the table.

free, no ads ... and hopefully you get a little more than you pay for.

Available on google play
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	39
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	233081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	233082  

Click image for larger version