Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 10:15   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Cannes to Sicily - passage plan mid Oct

Any suggestion of a passage plan for Cannes to Sicily in mid October? Due to a change in plans we have just taken delivery of a Lagoon 450 and want to get to Sicily to leave it for the winter. Safety the priority of course. Short handed. Should we go via Corsica or is it safer to go via the Italian coast? Weather has been intense here for the past week - 55 knot mistral from Marseille to Toulon. Been at anchor outside Port de Cannes for a couple of days in 25 - 45 knots ENE - and an interesting night anchored in the passage at Il Ste-Marguerite in 50+ knots - long night! We are feeling a little bashed around and don't want to push it.
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 12:54   #2

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50
Re: Cannes to Sicily - passage plan mid Oct

Hi,
If I had time, I'd go to Cannes, Sanremo, Macinaggio in Corsica (a short 80 Nm passage), Elba and then south on the Italian coast.
You'd have a rather long passage to Sicily, if you went South on the Sardinia coast.
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:02   #3

Boat: Bavaria 40 Cruiser

hi,
Yes the wheather is not nice and forecast too!
IMHO, I would suggest the east coast of Corsica and Sardegna because you should have better sailing conditions and less ferrie's traffic.Just take care on meteo between Corsica and Sardegna ("bouches de Bonifacio").You will find nice anchorage places and marinas are empty at this period!.
Welcome in Sicily! Where will you let the boat?
Gilles
JONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:08   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

IIRC, there is not much shelter between Ste-Marguerite and St-Honorat...

I would go E of Corsica to avoid the "Bouches de Bonifacio" between Corsica and Sardegna, where the wind is stronger than elsewhere.

On passageweather.com, the low presently on the Balearic islands is expected to move E toward Sardegna tomorrow, resulting in strong cyclonic winds around Corsica and Sardegna until Friday evening.

On marinetraffic.com, there appears to be more traffic off the Italian coast than off Corsica.

The final choice depends on where in Sicily you are going.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47   #5

Boat: Catana 471

Hi,
i think you have to split your journey into two legs: both of them depends on the weather forecast. Mid-October can be very tricky, so despite your short handed condition it is better to run if possible, i mean if the wether is favourable. First leg, good weather = Cannes straight to Bonifacio Strait, cross it and call at S.Teresa di Gallura, or Palau for example, anyway east coast of Sardinia. 180 nm, only one night out, and if necessary the last miles are close to the west coast of Corsica, with some shelters (Ajaccio, Propriano, Bonifacio). This route is shorter, if anyway the mistral will be probable, the Corsica east cost is longer but more sheltered, only wind, less waves.
Second leg, by strong mistral anyway the best solution is to sail east Sardinia, plenty of wind but quick and safe. With southerlies you're adivised to wait sheltered, both in the west and in the east coast. Your last port of call can be Villasimius, south-east tip of Sardinia, or if the weather will be good you can decide to take off and make for Sicily anywhere from Sardinia coast. It depends where in Sicily you are going. The option of Elba and Italian coast is not bad, but i think it's plenty of trafic and by northerlies and southerelies the sea is always very rough.
Michele iCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25   #6

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesherpa View Post
Hi,
If I had time, I'd go to Cannes, Sanremo, Macinaggio in Corsica (a short 80 Nm passage), Elba and then south on the Italian coast.
You'd have a rather long passage to Sicily, if you went South on the Sardinia coast.
Best way. Mistral seldom last more than a few days, but you have following wind and seas.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:21   #7

Many thanks for your replies which give us options depending on the weather.

The marina we are considering is Marina di Cala del Sole in Licata - seems to offer a very reasonable rate for catamaran winter storage - of course open to other suggestions.

Any relevant weather sites also appreciated - thanks for those already mentioned.
The weather here is certainly more difficult to predict than the east coat of Oz
Old 01-10-2015, 23:59   #8

Boat: Bavaria 40 Cruiser

a "must have" for weather and sailing :
Wind and Sea Forecast | Consorzio LaMMA

see also :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ly-135595.html

have a good trip

Gilles
JONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:37   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

The best course depends on the wind.

I would say tomorrow is the best day to go. Giving the wind I would went directly to Stintino on the North of Sardinia. You only need no to arrive there before 7 of October. Then I would avoid the straight of Bonifacio and would go down the West coast and would arrive at Sicily ideally before 13. You have 10 days of perfect weather, rare on October. Probably 10 days are enough to do it. After you will get strong headwinds to Sicily.

Use this for a broad picture on the weather:

https://www.windyty.com/?2015-10-13-18,38.501,11.799,7
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10   #10

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Hi,
The west coast of Sardinia can be very nasty in a mistral or "libeccio" (SW) gale.
Last week an Austrian crew was rescued by the Italian CG just 20 NM off the western coast of Sardinia in a F9 gale. The crew abandoned the boat which was later found ashore. You can watch the rescue video here
Mare in tempesta, il salvataggio di due 60enni alla deriva su una barca a vela
I do not think that the sea and boat conditions required abandoning the boat, but it is nevertheless a reminder that sailors should be cautious when sailing that stretch of sea.
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:15   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

Summer before last I was trying to get my boat from Cagliari to La Spezia. It was difficult. We had wind blowing in our face constantly. I made some bad decisions because the kids wanted to get to the mainland. Shredded my mainsail. The west coast of both Corsica and Sardinia are very exposed to weather from France. I personally would make my decision based on the 3 day forecast. I would follow the main land unless there was a great forecast. From San Remo or near I would head for the east side of Corsica and then work my way down the coast. There are a few stops in Marina's but not much for anchorages till you reach the southern end. Crossing the straights of Bonifacio on the east side of the Magdalena's is a bit easier because the islands break up the waves. It can still be windy but the waves are not as big. Also staying close to the East coast of both Cors and Sard makes life easier if the wind is blowing SW because even if there are strong winds there is not much fetch for the seas to get really big. If you are in a hurry it can be dangerous.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 13:44   #12

Many thanks for all your advice. It sounds like that passage can be tricky in general and certainly this time of year. We have now decided that an easier passage will be to go straight to the Balearics and winter in Catagena - that was my original plan and so long as we get a weather window next week we will head off. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 13-10-2015, 05:17   #13

Boat: Comet 41s

Coming from Nice to Baleares can also be tricky but Cartagena is a great place to pass the winter. Fantastic natural port improved (it was a Carthaginian main naval base and that's where the name comes), very nice marina with good prices, very nice town very near the marina, great climate, good prices on restaurants and very good food

Keep us posted about the voyage.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, Sicily