Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2012, 16:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk II Wing Keel
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Cape Verde Islands

I have contradictory information about the Cape Verde Islands. I am planning a transit from Tenerife, Canary Islands to Martinique Some information suggests that I should pass very close to the Cape Verde's, other information says it is a long detour that may include a great deal of motoring. Before I answer the question do I want to go there on the way across the Atlantic I would like to get a sense of how much time it is likely to add to the transit. I know that there are many people who have enjoyed the islands and would most likely say don't miss them." I am trying to determine how much extra time I have to invest in order to visit. Once I know that I can have a better idea if I want to make the detour.
svzephyr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 16:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cape Verde Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
I have contradictory information about the Cape Verde Islands. I am planning a transit from Tenerife, Canary Islands to Martinique Some information suggests that I should pass very close to the Cape Verde's, other information says it is a long detour that may include a great deal of motoring. Before I answer the question do I want to go there on the way across the Atlantic I would like to get a sense of how much time it is likely to add to the transit. I know that there are many people who have enjoyed the islands and would most likely say don't miss them." I am trying to determine how much extra time I have to invest in order to visit. Once I know that I can have a better idea if I want to make the detour.
if you are doing a delivery,go direct,if you are cruising 2-3 weeks spent visiting the islands is why we go sailing!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 16:16   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Cape Verde Islands

It depends on your weather forecasts. Many times there are light winds on the direct route, and the optimum route goes quite near the islands.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cape Verde