Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 17:55   #1

Boat: Compass 34 , Sloop
Chesapeake Bay , Baltimore and Annapolis anchorages

Yesterday I entered Chesapeake Bay trough the Delaware Chesapeake Canal. I plan to stay a while in the bay and have a few questions
a. When get the weather real nasty and do I have to make my south.
b. Long time ago I anchored in the inner harbour from Baltimore. Is that still oke or is there an other better anchorage .
c. Annapolis what is there the best anchorage.
d. What should I not miss while in the bay.

Thanks for the help .
Mylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 18:43   #2
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: Chesapeake Bay , Baltimore and Annapolis anchorages

There was quite recently a thread on Sailing Anarchy that had a lot of good advice on places to go and see. That thread was aimed at a fairly deep draft boat, not your case, but there is a lot you can glean from that thread.

Hard to predict when the weather turns nasty, but there should be several weeks yet of decent sailing. I've seen good sailing through December, but you can't count on that.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...-draft.239092/

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:49   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylady View Post
c. Annapolis what is there the best anchorage.
d. What should I not miss while in the bay.

Back Creek in Annapolis is popular, but then sometimes crowded. Mooring balls in Spa Creek (and also Back Creek) are possibly easier, but then also slightly more expensive. Harness Creek on the South River, adjacent to Quiet Waters city park, is a decent anchorage... but not as close to downtown. OTOH, walking (or riding) through the park can get you to West Marine and Fawcett's boats supplies, a grocery a bit further...

Typically the short list of places to see includes Havre d'Grace, the Sassafras River (including tiny Georgetown), Rock Hall, Bal'mer, Annapolis, St. Michaels, Solomons... maybe even Oxford and Cambridge further up via the Choptank River...

For more anchorages, you might review "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide" by Bill Shellenberger.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2022, 08:04   #4

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

The anchorage in Baltimore by anchorage marina has great dinghy dock good holding groceries etc…. I see lots of boats stay for extended periods of time there.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:41   #5

That's interesting - I've avoided Baltimore because people have told me the inner harbor area has gone downhill in recent years. Maybe it's still worth a look.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:56   #6

Boat: Moody 376

St Micheals, Oxford, St mary's for some areas south of the bridge.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:22   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The Inner Harbor and the area around Anchorage Marina are quite different. The area around Anchorage Marina is part of the Canton neighborhood and it has remained stable over the past 15 years, with a West Marine and a grocery store right across from the dinghy dock as well as a number of other bars and restaurants nearby within walking distance. It's probably the closest full service grocery store to an anchorage anywhere on the Chesapeake and really the only area in Baltimore harbor proper where one can anchor with easy shore access and with relative security for your dinghy. They are rebuilding the docks of the Oasis Lighthouse Point marina next door this fall and winter, so I'm not sure if that impacts the anchoring area between the two marinas.

I do find it curious that people say that anchorage has good holding, as whenever I've tried to anchor there I keep snagging plastic bags and the anchor never really digs in! The dockmaster at the Anchorage told me they did a core sample of the harbor bottom for piling replacement and found 4 feet of plastic bags.

The Inner Harbor has gone downhill as the pavilions there suffered years of mismanagement until finally entering receivership a few years ago. Almost all tenants are have departed and the pavilions currently await redevelopment under a new developer. This has sucked a lot of life out of the area and crime has increased, though the aquarium, science center, visionary art museum, and historic ships are still major draws in daytime hours. The city dissolved its harbormaster's office a couple of years ago, so it's virtually impossible to get any straight answers about the legality of or enforcement of rules related to tying boats or dinghys up to any of the docks and seawalls in the Inner Harbor or Fells Point area. At the moment I wouldn't advise doing it, especially not if you plan to leave your boat or dinghy unattended.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:55   #8

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Rock Hall, Annapolis, St. Michaels, Knapps Narrows, Oxford, Cambridge, Solomons, Tangier Island, Reedsville, Irvington, Urbanna, Cape Charles, Little Creek, Norfolk...so many places to visit and explore...

For less-crowded, scenic anchorages, Bohemia River, Still Pond, Wye River, Dunn's Cove, Harris Creek on Little Choptank, Coan River, Sandy Pt. cove on Great Wicomico River, Little Bay in Fleets Bay, Piankatank River, Horn Harbour south of Wolftrap Shoals, Kiptopeake Beach...

You came at a great time of year, windy, nice foliage, and not so crowded.

I second the recommendation of Shellenberg's Cruising the Chesapeake. It includes some suggested cruises from start to finish.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 16:08   #9

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

The good holding by anchorage is out quite a ways. Getting close in holding isn’t near as good
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, annapolis, baltimore, chesapeake bay